upgrade from dharma2 to dharma3 help
the xbmc.org main page states the following

"Update: All users of Live Beta2 or earlier are advised to backup their XBMC profile (~/.xbmc) and reinstall. Due to the way some drivers were installed before, a smooth upgrade is unlikely. This should now be resolved for future releases."

now, i am completely new to xbmc, and 100% new to linux.

i have no idea on how, by using my machine, i can access this folder, no idea whatsoever.

i also, have no idea whatso ever on how to backup this profile and to insert it onto a memory for safe keeping whilst i upgrade to dharma3.

ive searched everywere, i dont know anything.

could someone please, assist with a newbie guide?

i dont understand console, i dont know how to enter and come back out of console.

i dont understand anything linux related. although i am fair good with windows (linux is a complete new thing to me)

please please please i would appreciate help.
i have alot of files loaded up via smb, downloaded all album art, scrapers etc. wouldnt like to lose all of this!
First, do you have a hard drive big enough to save the .xbmc directory somewhere? If not, can you use a thumbdrive, or a mounted network share? To be able to proceed you'll need somewhere to copy the directory to. Once you have that sorted out, you can proceed.

1) Copy the .xbmc directory somewhere for safe keeping. Under a normal install the path will be /home/xbmc/.xmbc. This is a hidden directory (the .(dot) before the name makes it hidden). You can show all hidden directories or hidden files within a directory with the -a switch in conjunction with the ls command e.g. ls -a /home/xbmc.
Code:
sudo mkdir /<path to backup .xbmc folder>
sudo cp -R /home/xbmc/.xbmc /<path to backup .xbmc folder>
sudo apt-get --purge remove xbmc
apt-get will ask if you want to remove all of the XBMC files and packages that it finds for removal, answer yes.
Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove
This will remove anything that used to satisfy dependencies that is no longer needed.

Next, you'll want to update your apt repositories and re-install XBMC.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

With the above commands, you should see several packages that need to be installed with associated dependencies. Answer yes, and just let it go to town. After everything has been installed, you may want to reboot, shouldn't be necessary, but it doesn't hurt. Once you've rebooted, you should be in Dharma Beta3. After that's done, you can move back all of your configuration and associated files.
Code:
cp -R /<path to backup .xbmc folder> /home/xbmc/.xbmc

You should be able to restart XBMC and everything should be back to where it was before the upgrade as far as configurations go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upgrade from dharma2 to dharma3 help0