• 1(current)
[RELEASE] Last.FM Playlist Generator Script - Auto Generate Similar Music Playlists
Thumbs Up 
This is a script that fills your music playlist based on the song you are currently listening to.

Hope someone will find it usefull

Installation
You can grab the addon from Mortstar's repository. I strongly suggest that you install the Repositories Installer Addon which allows you to browse and install repositories from the Unofficial Add-on Repositories wiki page.

Or if you prefer you can grab the .zip from github
However, downloading the repo as outlined above is much more desirable as you will keep the addon up-to-date as well as automatically downloading the correct dependencies.

Once you have mortstar's repo installed, you'll find the Last.FM playlist generator (Partymode) addon in the Program addons section. Install the addon from here

UPDATE
@kikigonzales have picked up development of this addon.
You can reach a fresh version on his github page

-Erlend
Thanks for the script! I hate making playlistSmile

Wondering if there is a way to add a shortcut to the context menu?
Not without modifying the skin I believe.

I've added the script to the favourites window. (Open Context menu when script is selected - add to favourites).

And in the "Alaska Revisited" skin you can create submenu-items at the home screen for easy access.
Sounds promising, will definitely give this a try.

Does it use your local library to generate the playlist or does it "scrape" last.fm for songs?
It uses your local library
awesome, i've been waiting for something like this. Thanks!
ahh, this is fantastic. exaile on linux (and probably a few other music players) does this. much better than streaming stuff off last.fm.

adding it to the context menu isnt that hard, but is hackerish, obviously. its easiest if you can find an item in your context menu that you never use and simply replace it with the call to this script. if you add the script to your favourites you can find the code to call it by looking in favourites.xml, and just put it in the context menu xml in place of an unused function
Works great.

Played some Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, Van Morrison amongst others showed up on the playlist..

Suggestions:
  • The ability to choose how many times an artist can appear on the playlist
  • The ability to choose how many tracks an artist reappearance must be apart (i got 3 Springsteen tracks in a row).
  • An option (context menu?) to save the playlist

Again, great work..
Fun script, useful. Thanks!

One other note: "Install from zip" fails in Dharma RC1, but I was able to do it manually just fine.

Thanks again.
it says no result found for me
hey , great idea. It would be nice to have something similar to this built into the party mode feature . example being, fetch similar /artists/albums/tracks/genres etc from last.fm api , based on current playing track..

From the looks of it, this is a one time playlist generator. Does anyone know if it is possible to run this in the background or daemonize it, so that it is called after each track is played?

Idea being the following .

Code:
while isplayingaudio
     get current trackname, current artistname
     fetch X number of similar tracks from last.fm api based on genre/artist/album
     append results to playlist
acegutta22 Wrote:it says no result found for me

Try a different song; that happens to me even on stuff that's only moderately obscure. If I seed it with a better known song, it work's fine.
I used the Windows Mediaportal for a while and really appreciated it to hear music for hours. Mediaportals last.fm plugin automatically searched for the next three songs. If I made changes to the playlist the plug-in recognized that and changed the next music selections.

jw76 Wrote:hey , great idea. It would be nice to have something similar to this built into the party mode feature . example being, fetch similar /artists/albums/tracks/genres etc from last.fm api , based on current playing track..

From the looks of it, this is a one time playlist generator. Does anyone know if it is possible to run this in the background or daemonize it, so that it is called after each track is played?

Code:
while isplayingaudio
Yes I remember this from Mediaportal too (basically why I started on this script).
Great feature!

There is probably a way to run the script as a background process. If it is, I'll try and modify it.
If someone with greater python-fu than me wants to have a go it, the source is openly available here still:
http://code.google.com/p/lastfmplaylistgenerator/
jw76 Wrote:hey , great idea. It would be nice to have something similar to this built into the party mode feature . example being, fetch similar /artists/albums/tracks/genres etc from last.fm api , based on current playing track..

Code:
while isplayingaudio

+1.

Before getting hooked on XBMC i used MediaMonkey with a similar plugin to play music, its a great way to get out in the dark corners of your music library.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Last.FM Playlist Generator Script - Auto Generate Similar Music Playlists5