[Live] Emulator problems, cannot get sound, xbmc videos work fine though
Exclamation 
Hi all,

Looking for some help getting my emulator, in particular zsnes working with xbmc live.

Sounds work fine when playing videos or music in xbmc.
XBMC is set to use HDMI,and NVIDIA HDA hmdi for output.

I am thinking that zsnes is using the wrong audio device as I have two on my system (mobo and Asus Geforce 210).

Here is the output from the console if it helps further:

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=lucid
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMCLive Dharma"
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
Launcher plugin config for zsnes:
Code:
<name>Zsnes with rom</name>
                <application>/usr/bin/zsnes</application>
                <args>-m -s -v 15</args>
                <rompath>/home/xbmc/Software/SNES/</rompath>
                <romext>zip|smc</romext>
                <thumb></thumb>
                <wait>true</wait>

Really appreciate some help.
Regards,
Vae
Oh and if it helps, i do not have any sounds when navigating the menus of xbmc.

The only sounds I can get are when video and music is playing.

Cheers,
After know about hyperspin, I simply gave up to manage my emulators/rom under xbmc...
hyperspin is perfect, and I'm just using a xbmc launcher to open it.
yeah that's a windows app, I am running xbmc live [linux]
If it is anything like launcher/firefox you need a .asoundrc directing default => the correct device.
http://tinyurl.com/2akdlpu

I had the same issue.
Here's the thing that worked for me:

1) SSH into your box, make sure you're at /home/xbmc/ (which you should be by default on Live). Type the following:

Code:
sudo nano .asoundrc

2) If anything is in there, you may want to save it in notepad or back it up somewhere. Otherwise, put the following in there:

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

Ctrl+O to write out, Enter to confirm, Ctrl+C to exit

3) Now go to Configure the System (or whatever it is in confluence) > System > Audio Output and set it up as follows:

Audio Output: HDMI
Audio output device: hdmi
Passthrough output device: Custom
Custom passthrough device: plugw:0,3

4) Reboot
Sorry, I just noticed you said you don't get any navigation sounds. Not sure that this step is necessary, but I would do the following before following my last steps:

1) SSH into your box, then type the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

2)

Code:
sudo apt-get install wget

3)

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf

4)

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

5) Reboot
alex, thank you very much.

It's a shame that xbmc does not configure that by default, but your solution worked.

Any references you made to 0,3 I changed to 1,3 to match my hw config and it worked.

Now to fix the problem with xbmc running in the background while I am playing.

Cheers!
I know how to fix that too:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=542...stcount=66

don't forget to make that script executable via sudo chmod -x [name of script].sh
Yeah cheers, used that script with good success.

However alex, since implementing the audio fix you posted, some videos no longer play audio in xbmc.

Specifically, files that are encoded with AC3. I get an xbmc error "cannot open audio device".

Perhaps those alsa config files need more tweaking?
alexpigment:

Thanks for the info. I'm running a full install of Ubuntu 10.4 on my machine and your tips worked flawlessly. This issue had me pulling my hair out.

On a side note (hope I'm not thread-jacking but it is sound related)

My motherboard (see signature for type), supports HDMI out and Optical out. I was updating ALSA and Pulseaudio through the package manager GUI and noticed a sound driver that allows dual sound output through both ports at the same time. I installed it and it is listed as a sound output option in XBMC. I have it selected and the HDMI works. I have not tested it yet with both cables hooked up because I don't have a spare optical cable. Do you have any idea if this would work? I don't want to spend the money on the cable if its not. If I remember correctly the manual for my Mobo states that it can only handle one sound output at a time. Could this driver magically pull it off?

If not, is there a way to create a script that I could launch with the launcher addon that would switch from one output to another?
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Vaevictus2 Wrote:Yeah cheers, used that script with good success.

However alex, since implementing the audio fix you posted, some videos no longer play audio in xbmc.

Specifically, files that are encoded with AC3. I get an xbmc error "cannot open audio device".

Perhaps those alsa config files need more tweaking?

It's very possible they do need tweaking for your system. I based my suggestions on a thread for setting up a revo 1600 system. I really don't know enough about the nuts and bolts to tweak it for your system though.

With that said, a workaround might be to uncheck dts support and whatever the other one is in the main xbmc audio preferences. By unchecking those I believe you are mixing the audio for your videos as normal instead of sending it raw to your system. I personally prefer this because you can then control the volume on videos with ac3 audio within xbmc (this is usually disabled)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Emulator problems, cannot get sound, xbmc videos work fine though0