New System
So I have picked up a cheap Mac Mini and I am going to setup XBMC on it.

Other than XBMC what do I need to setup?

Will I need Remote Buddy?
Can I set it up so that when I put a DVD in XBMC plays it instead of frontrow?

Will remote administration i.e. VNC be enough or do I need to get a keyboard for the mini?

Thanks for your help in advance
olrac Wrote:So I have picked up a cheap Mac Mini and I am going to setup XBMC on it.

Other than XBMC what do I need to setup?

Will I need Remote Buddy?
Can I set it up so that when I put a DVD in XBMC plays it instead of frontrow?

Will remote administration i.e. VNC be enough or do I need to get a keyboard for the mini?

Thanks for your help in advance

Im a windows and linux user, so it might be a bit different on OSX.
Check out Settings>Video>DVDs>"Play DVDs automatically" that should sort out the DVD auto play situation.

Im not sure why you would want to VNC into the box unless you plan on using a laptop to control the box. I though the Mac-Mini's came with IR built in, if they do just go pick up one of Apples new Remotes, they are pretty cheap (I can believe I just said that about and apple product).

Over all I would say your best bet is to get an Android device, iPod Touch or iPhone as they are by far the best remote experience you can get with XBMC, IMHO. Just download the appropriate app for the device and your set. If you go this route your entire library with posters, plot and rating will show on your remote, along with a mockup interface of the original Xbox DVD remote for controlls, it makes browsing your media very pleasurable. I use my old G1 Android phone for this after I got my new phone. It just sits in my living room on its charging cable acting as a remote for XBMC, my FIOS cable box and a Skype Phone. A quick look at ebay shows you can get one for $65 shipped or you could check craigslist.

Im not sure what Mini model you got, but my friend has the older model with the intel GPU. His gets much better frames for playback if its running Win7 instead of OSX. Just food for thought.
olrac Wrote:Will remote administration i.e. VNC be enough or do I need to get a keyboard for the mini?

I use VNC to set-up my Mac Mini (e.g. when I want to download a newer version of XBMC or take back ups and the likes) as it's sits under my TV with no keyboard or mouse attached. On a normal day, I simply use my remote control to operate XBMC; no keyboard or mouse required.

Do be aware however, that you can't run XBMC on you Mac without a Display (e.g. your TV!) connected to your Mac. If you wanted to run XBMC over VNC without using a connected display, you'll run into problems.
Thanks guys for your reply,

Fergus do you use remote buddy or just the XBMC key mappings for the apple remote?
You don't need remote buddy. Look in settings - input devices for Apple Remote.
I'm using a Logitech Harmony 555 remote (it's one of the cheaper versions) it has far more options than your apple remote, and you can use it for your tv, tuner, blue ray player etc.
olrac Wrote:Fergus do you use remote buddy or just the XBMC key mappings for the apple remote?

Never needed Remote Buddy - I use an ancient Philips Pronto Pronto Pro which I've set up to mimic a Harmony Remote (i.e. XBMC thinks it's Harmony, so I didn't need to tinker with XBMC at all). You can use the standard Apple Remote too, but it's not as flexible as the likes of Harmony that's got more buttons to work with. As per sjobbels comments, I love the fact that I have one remote control that commands XBMC, TV and Amplifier.
I am comming from an AppleTV with a Harmony remote that mimics the apple remote and the extra button setup.

So I assume that I setup xbmc with the Universal remote option and use the Harmony software to add a new device what would that device be?
There's a (long) sticky post at the top of this section in the forum that may help you. I personally had to learn the remote codes the long way for my Pronto Pro, as it doesn't come with a suitable preset 'device' that I could use. I believe however, that you Harmony users choose the 'Plex' device! The sticky post contains "Create a new device of type "Media Center PC", brand Plex, and type "Plex Player" into the box".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New System0