[linux] choppy UI
Hi,

I've been using xbmc on several machines now (xbox, windows based pc) and i'm planning on using it on ubuntu too.

The install (wiki) went flawless, but i have encountered my first problem.

When i start xbmc the ui is very choppy, unusable in fact.
It seems to get a wee bit better after a couple of minutes, but still not as on my other devices.

video playback (avi) isn't choppy, but not ok,.. i'll try to explain,.. 3 sec of normal video, 1 sec of "highspeed" video, 3 sec normal, 1 sec highspeed etc etc
This also seems to solve itself after a minute or so

Picture slideshow works ok
Music works ok

Anyone know a solution i might try?

Specs:
Asus m2-vm motherboard (amd/ati based) 2.4Gcpu, 800meg ddr2 - 800
Ubuntu 10.04 x64
xbmc 10.0-beta3
log to be found on http://pastebin.com/Aw9UJ3en

Thanks in advance!
what graphics card / graphics driver are you using? seems most likely to be the issue

and what version of ubuntu? do you have the gnome desktop like a normal install or did you go with a minimal install?
i installed a normal complete desktop version of ubuntu x64 10.04 with the full gnome ui

graphics is onboard,.. see http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DkEhMfgo4ExcGXpn for details

I checked for prop. drivers, but there are none to be found. So i would have to say the default drivers installed by ubuntu

If you need specifics, please advise where i can get the info to help sort things out
Very good chance that the gpu is too slow, it doesn't even support npot textures, I suggest buying an nvidia gt210.
it may be that the onboard graphics is too slow, or perhaps you need the proprietary drivers to get opengl support working right. ATI isnt as well supported as nvidia on linux but it's getting there.

if you dont mind spending a bit of cash on a graphics card, it'll be a great investment. there are cheap nvidia cards like the one mentioned which'll give you smooth HD playback via VDPAU, even on a slowish CPU since it offloads all the work to the nvidia card. that gt210 only costs £35. think you can get fanless ones too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[linux] choppy UI0