[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup a Games Library with artwork using the Launcher Addon, a guide
Thumbs Up 
I've received quite a few Private messages inquiring how to setup a game library and it's gotten to the point perhaps a full here's how you add it and configure it to your library tutorial was needed... so here goes.

Things you need
  1. know what the exact .exe is to launch your program
  2. have a boxshot for your program
  3. have a piece of fanart for your program
  4. be able to edit a xml file (ie notepad++, or something)
  5. have a couple minutes available (and daaaaays if your adding thousands of games)

For the tutorial I'll be adding Defense Grid - The Awakening and here's the resources I am using...
Image my box art
Image my fanart

Ok and now for the tutorial
Step I - Open up XBMC, head to your Programs Section and fire up the Launcher addon

Step II - Open up the settings dialog (on keyboard its "S" on a 360 gamepad its "LB")

Step III - Add a standalone (for a single program you wish to open) or File-Launcher (for rom directories), in this tuts case Defense Grid is a stand-alone program

Step IV - Find the executable for your program (keep in mind the actual runable executable, sometimes some games use launchers or front ends which are not gonna fly with XBMC very well)
After finding the program enter any specific arguments it needs (ie some games require a -fs arguement to run fullscreen or whatnot) and give it a suitable title (nothing fun about your programs list showing RE5dx_9 as a title as opposed to resident Evil 5 or something)
Damon "Demios" Marjanovich
XBMC System - AMD x6 4.2gHz, 16gb DDR3, SLI Nvidia 465, 12tb Sata 6gbps HDDs, 5tb USB 3.0 external HDDs What's behind your xbmc?
Step V - Close down XBMC and go hunting for the launchers.xml file for some editing.
On a windows 7 x64 system my launchers.xml was located in C:\Users\LITTLESISTER\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.program.launcher\launchers.xml but your location will be different, luckily once you know where it is all future edits run easy.

Step VI - Find your latest entry in the XML file for the game you want to edit
Image and start filling in the required data, I like to use the Steam store for information on PC games as it contains not only the description but release info, genre's and publisher. The code below is my Defense Grid example with the italics showing the really important fields as far as fanarts/boxarts/and descriptions go
Quote: <launcher>
<name>Defense Grid - The Awakening</name>
<application>C:\Program Files (x86)\Defense Grid - The Awakening\DefenseGrid.exe</application>
<args></args>
<rompath></rompath>
<romext></romext>
<thumb>Z:\BOXART\DG-ICON.png</thumb>
<fanart>Z:\BOXART\DG.jpg</fanart>
<genre>Strategy</genre>
<release>2008</release>
<publisher>Hidden Path Entertainment</publisher>
<launcherplot>Defense Grid: The Awakening is a unique spin on tower defense gameplay that will appeal to players of all skill levels. A horde of enemies is invading, and it's up to the player to stop them by strategically building fortification towers around their base. </launcherplot>
<wait>true</wait>
<roms>
</roms>
</launcher>
When you've added the information and double checked the locations of your images (keep in mind capitalization is important ie DS.jpg is different than ds.JPG) save your file and relaunch XBMC.

If you've typed everything correctly the next time you open up XBMC and browse over to your launcher addon it should look like ...

and now some notes...
Not all skins support fanart/genre's/descriptions, so far Alaska revisited (with modifications) and Night (SVN version) support it naturally.
Damon "Demios" Marjanovich
XBMC System - AMD x6 4.2gHz, 16gb DDR3, SLI Nvidia 465, 12tb Sata 6gbps HDDs, 5tb USB 3.0 external HDDs What's behind your xbmc?
great article, i will be updating my xbmc this weekend.

thanks dude
Thanks for writing this article, this is exactly what I been wondering how to do. Laugh

I was wondering if you have a game trailer, can you set it up like it works in the movie section with a movie trailer? Assuming the skin in question will support trailers. Nod
Is this same way to set up the emulator games to add box art? If not can you write up a guide.
You should commit this to the wiki. Smile

Thanks for your work, btw!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Thanks for this tutorial,
but it doesnt work for me, i have only the thumb, but not fanart and the rest.

Any idea ? i try to launch pc games on windows with dharma b4 and i try with alaska revisited and night svn, and it's the same problem.
Haze Wrote:Thanks for this tutorial,
but it doesnt work for me, i have only the thumb, but not fanart and the rest.

Any idea ? i try to launch pc games on windows with dharma b4 and i try with alaska revisited and night svn, and it's the same problem.

Yup, I've having the same exact problem. I'm using Dharma Beta 4 with Alaska Revisited v1.8.4. Also running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO setup a Games Library with artwork using the Launcher Addon, a guide0