HTPC + LIVE + HP IR + Logitech Harmony 880
I haven't revisited this yet.

However, the page Flomaster linked to regarding the LIRC table does in fact show "Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)" which is exactly what I've been selecting when configuring LIRC. I'm not sure if we're all referring to the same thing when one person mentions picking MCEUSB in "the list" of hardware as that is specifically never listed in the huge list of hardware in the configuration list, however "Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)" has always been in the list when running ""sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc"

I'm using Dharma Beta 3 which was complied in Oct so I'm assuming it has a very recent copy of LIRC.

I still think the issue is that my specific flavor of the HP receiver seen as "BUS 007 DEVICE 002: ID 1934:5168" isn't in the specific hardware list in lirc_mceusb.c

But that's just my guess at this point as I couldn't edit and recompile it for some reason.

I tried Dharma Beta 4 and the IR receiver also failed to work there as well, and that was compiled a few days ago.

Honestly, I'm starting to lose interest in continuing to try to fix this. If I knew for sure I could drive to Best Buy tomorrow and buy a genuine MCE remote and receiver at full retail and know for sure I could plug-n-play it I'd do that VS investing 2 more hours of frustration trying to get my cheap Hong Kong knock off working.
Gastric, why was it that you could not compile lirc again?
Here's what happened.

Quote:Researching some Linux commands I finally discovered the following:

* My file is located in /user/src/lirc-0.8.6/drivers/lirc_mceusb/lirc_mceusb.c
* My vendor is already listed in lirc_mceusb.c properly as FINTEK with the proper vendor code, it's simply the device ID that's missing from the file
* I used "VI lirc_mceusb.c" to edit one of the existing Fintek device IDs to mine which is 0x5168
* Write the change by typing ":w" and then quit the editor with ":q" Had to learn those commands.
* I could then follow the remainder of the instructions on the other page noting to change the commands to match my file path

sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install

Then I got to this and failed

sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb

Nothing was reported back, no error, no confirmation. When I tried the following:

sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb

I received the error "FATAL: error inserting lirc_mceusb (/lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic/updates/dkms/lirc_mceusb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or uknown parameter (see dmesg)

I'm assuming I bungled the file edit somehow. So I copied the .old back so the lirc_mceusb.c file was original, followed the directions to rebuild. Once I got to the following:

sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb

I received the error "ERROR: Module lirc_mceusb does not exist in /proc/modules"
Hi gastric,

I have the exact same cheap HP ir receiever as you do (hongkong 12USD ftw! Smile), and I too couldn't make it work. I edited the lirc_mceusb.c file as you did and did all the other stuff (as described on: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LIRC). And I also ran in to the problem you have where your unable to modprobe lirc_mceusb, however i managed to solve it thanks to peterbo who actually gave the solution in an earlier post.

You need to do both

Code:
sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
and
Code:
sudo rmmod lirc_dev

before you then do:

Code:
sudo modprobe lirc_dev
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

Hope this helps you!

I did this with v0.8.6 of lirc, the one i got when i used apt-get to install the source
ssboisen - that did the trick! BINGO! Holy bang-your-head-on-the-desk experience! Note I also had to elevate to admin via "sudo su" prior to making the backup of lirc_mceusb.c and the remainder of the instructions.

5 minutes of Linux commands later I have a working remote. Now I get to learn how to map the keys on the Harmony 880 to the XBMC features properly. But I can navigate menus, play media, and it even shuts down the PC. It just doesn't start it up, and I can't use my quick Videos/Pictures/etc. buttons to access those sections, nor do I have a "back" button currently.

Thanks for everyone's help. Smile
gastric Wrote:ssboisen - that did the trick! BINGO! Holy bang-your-head-on-the-desk experience! Note I also had to elevate to admin via "sudo su" prior to making the backup of lirc_mceusb.c and the remainder of the instructions.

5 minutes of Linux commands later I have a working remote. Now I get to learn how to map the keys on the Harmony 880 to the XBMC features properly. But I can navigate menus, play media, and it even shuts down the PC. It just doesn't start it up, and I can't use my quick Videos/Pictures/etc. buttons to access those sections, nor do I have a "back" button currently.

Thanks for everyone's help. Smile

No problem, again I wouldn't have solved it without peterbo.

Yeah that's where I'm at aswell, if you find any good guide/keymap.xml on setting up a harmony 880 please post a link here, I know I will if I find one :-)

Edit:
And I think I found one, it's for windows but that's not really important since we're past the OS-specific part and should only need to set up stuff on the remote and in XBMC:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=Harmony
I haven't tried any of these yet. But here's some threads on configuring LIRC and your Harmony.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=73658 (Post #12 is the money maker)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67350 (the master thread, #12 above is based on this)
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81108 (quick way to remap using Favorites)
Thank you peterbo, ssboisen, and gastric who gave me the link to this thread.

I feel I'm so close now. But I got stuck.

EDIT: I think it might not have edited my lirc_mceusb.c correctly, trying the one Peterbo posted.
Sorry that I never completed a true start-to-finish guide. Sad

After successfully editing lirc_mceusb.c to include the device ID for your hardware do the following. I think this is the proper steps.

sudo su
sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install
sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
sudo rmmod lirc_dev
sudo modprobe lirc_dev
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
Edit:

Bah, I still can't get it to work. I can run through all the commands without issue. I think it might be how I'm editing the lirc_mceusb.c. Tried the one peterbo posted but it wouldn't build. But between that file and the original I'm pretty sure I have done it right.

EDIT2: Re-installed XBMC went through it again and worked right away

Thank you again gastric for pointing me here. And thank you peterbo and ssboisen for your help. So happy this is working now. Big Grin
Somehow we need to figure out how to get this Device ID coded into the LIRC file so everyone doesn't keep having this issue going forward.
Would it be correct to understand that, in order to make this HP sensor work with an Microsoft-clone remote, all that is needed is to enter the commands noted by gastric at post 24 above at the XBMC terminal?
It should be the correct steps, note you have to edit the .c file first.
sorry this is a little off topic but it has been troubling me for ages.
When i go to "activities->xbmc" on my logitech remote it switches the tv to hdmi but also seems to toggle the power on xbmc so it shuts down my box (which was already on - of course nothing happens if the box if off to begin). Is there something I am overlooking in the logitech interface so it wont poweroff?

thank you
Thanks a bunch for this thread. i have a completely different remote and IR receiver combo, but following the steps here I got it up and running with fairly minimal work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC + LIVE + HP IR + Logitech Harmony 8802