[LINUX] XBMC Live running window manager (Fluxbox)?
Hi,

Is it possible to have XBMC Live to start the window manager (Fluxbox) silently alongside XBMC? I'm developing a new script and I need to take advantage of having more than one workspace. Of course, I still want XBMC startup as it is now, ie, I don't want the user to notice that the window manager is being loaded.

Thanks
I don't know why you would want to start a graphical interface without interaction from the user... That's the point of a graphical interface, to interact with the user.

One way of doing this would be to start a VNC session (tightvncserver), then set environmental variable DISPLAY=:1, then xinit yourApplication. This would require you to first apt-get install tightvncserver, then run tightvncserver to set the password the first time. After initial setup, tightvncserver can be run to create additional desktop interfaces. They are open for access from other computers using the password.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
Spulit Wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to have XBMC Live to start the window manager (Fluxbox) silently alongside XBMC? I'm developing a new script and I need to take advantage of having more than one workspace. Of course, I still want XBMC startup as it is now, ie, I don't want the user to notice that the window manager is being loaded.

Thanks

I'm guessing you want to use this in a more desktop enviornment with keyboard and such?

You might want to checkout the xbmc-live script, should be doable adding fluxbox there if you want. I know we have had fluxbox available before (as a recovery mode).

At any rate, might be simpler going the other way around, installing ubuntu server or minimal, add fluxbox and xbmc and start xbmc with fluxbox.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
OK, I found out a way. I was just a matter of editing the files /usr/bin/startfluxbox and /usr/bin/runXBMC in order to have XBMC Live to silently start fluxbox and then XBMC. I also needed to edit the fluxbox style file in order to comment out the "background" entried and also the ~/.fluxbox/init file to hide the toolbar.

Thanks!
@Spulit: It would be great, if you could post what you exactly changed in the mentioned files, since I would like to do the same.

Thanks!
In /usr/bin/startfluxbox, I added:

/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone &
after
# idesk &

In /usr/bin/runXBMC, I commented out everything from:
echo "#!/bin/bash" > /home/$xbmcUser/.xsession
to
chown $xbmcUser:$xbmcUser /home/$xbmcUser/.xsession

In ~/.fluxbox/init, I added:
session.screen0.toolbar.visible: false

Remember to delete the ~/.xsession file before restarting.
Thank you very much. I will try it as soon as I can.
Thumbs Up 
Hi, everyone,

I was really interested in this kind of solution and these lines were quite helpful. But it didn't work at first try so I started modifiying the lines.

Instead of editing /usr/bin/startfluxbox, I modified ~/.fluxbox/startup as mentioned below. That means I added

/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone &
after
# idesk &

Next I edited /usr/bin/runXBMC as described (but I would try if it is really necessary).

And I leave ~/.fluxbox/init as it is because I find it helpful to have a toolbar in fluxbox and for XBMC in fullscreen-mode it is irrelevant.

Last but not least I deleted the ~/.xsession file.

Now it's quite comfortable: When the computer is powered up it will automatically starts XBMC in fullscreen. If I need e.g. a webbrowser I simple push (on a german keyboard) <alt gr> + <ß> and XBMC toggle into window-mode and I'm able to switch to another desktop.

Thank You for Your tipps,
A Linuxrookie
Works great.

But how can I change the DPI settings?
If I set "Xft.dpi: 150" in ~/.xdefault and merge it in ~/.xinitrc, I can't login anymore. There is an endless loop at login tty1. And I have to reinstall the system again because I don't know how to fix it. Undo the changes have no effect.
BiX82 Wrote:Works great.

But how can I change the DPI settings?
If I set "Xft.dpi: 150" in ~/.xdefault and merge it in ~/.xinitrc, I can't login anymore. There is an endless loop at login tty1. And I have to reinstall the system again because I don't know how to fix it. Undo the changes have no effect.

perhaps you can SSH to the box during the looping.
ASRock ION 330
Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64 minimal install
xbmc from unstable ppa
Got it now:
I set the dpi in the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the section "Device" with Option "DPI" "150x150".
Cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMC Live running window manager (Fluxbox)?0