Someone else making a profit on your hard work?
This is a general comment not targeted at anyone is specific. Never-the-less I feel it should be posted and prolly gonna stir up some negative response ut hey, Speaking the truth always leads to trouble.

This is a very strange concept, just because something is legal doesn't make it morally acceptable, right or otherwise condonable.

Agreeing with something, accepting it and how you feel about it morally is down to each individual ethics.

Ethics/morality are very diluted these days... Very blurry for 99% of people.

If anyone who thinks that just because its legal makes something automatically right or acceptable or moral needs their heads checked.

I doubt these days, anyone really knows the distinction.
Well, he has a 99.8% feedback score on nearly 6,000 transactions.

Nice racket there.

Probably able to make his mortgage payments with this "business", so in a way, you almost have to admire the POS.
He's also packaging up Blender: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...529wt_1021

Here's someone selling at ATV patch stick: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ultimate-Apple-TV...2541wt_906

And what looks like Celestia, some "MS Project" compatible planner, Screen recording software. He's even scrubbed the title:
I saw this :

Code:
This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of this CD-ROM is prohibited.

The gpl do allow make money with a gpl-software but he is not the copyright-holder of the software he distribute ......

According to the gpl the customers have the same right he has.
copy or distribute ....
looks like they de-listed XBMC from ebay and I happen to know this happened because some "supporters" contacted them (their words), but I hope you were civil in doing so!

if you see something similar again, feel free to bring it to our attention
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:looks like they de-listed XBMC from ebay and I happen to know this happened because some "supporters" contacted them (their words), but I hope you were civil in doing so!

if you see something similar again, feel free to bring it to our attention

Is back up now .. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XBMC-Complete-Med...1c16bfb84e

I can't believe no one can do anything about it though ? He doesn't mention that it was from xbmc.org ...
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
@CrashX I'm no ebay expert but it says "This listing has ended."
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I contacted him, and this was his response.

Thank you for your interest. You can download this for free but this is for
a CD version. This is open source software so we are full entitled to
distribute the software and charge small fee to pay for the eBay
advertising, production costs and full customer support. Many people would
not know about this software without viewing our listing.

We are not claiming copyright to the software. If you check the listing we
mention that the individual software installer is released under the GNU
GPL. Our eBay page is copyrighted and so it the images and CD menu design
on the CD-ROM. You are free to use the individual installer however you
wish according to the license and there is an offer for source code on the
CD-ROM. The reason we do not want the CD distributed as a whole is because
it contains our support email address and other details. You are free to
distribute the XBMC installer.

Are you one of the developers of this software? Please get back to me and
I will do my best to resolve this for you. Please accept my apologies for
any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes

Jonathan
MT Software Solutions
ROFL.... so cost of cd these days is what? cost to list $10 sale is what?

this guy has maybe 20% in cost and is making 80% profits.. yeah its only 8 dollars profite but 8x 100 or 8x1000 adds up quick style.

-=Jason=-
buzz_kill Wrote:I contacted him, and this was his response.

Thank you for your interest. You can download this for free but this is for
a CD version. This is open source software so we are full entitled to
distribute the software and charge small fee to pay for the eBay
advertising, production costs and full customer support. Many people would
not know about this software without viewing our listing.

We are not claiming copyright to the software. If you check the listing we
mention that the individual software installer is released under the GNU
GPL. Our eBay page is copyrighted and so it the images and CD menu design
on the CD-ROM. You are free to use the individual installer however you
wish according to the license and there is an offer for source code on the
CD-ROM. The reason we do not want the CD distributed as a whole is because
it contains our support email address and other details. You are free to
distribute the XBMC installer.

Are you one of the developers of this software? Please get back to me and
I will do my best to resolve this for you. Please accept my apologies for
any inconvenience caused.

Best wishes

Jonathan
MT Software Solutions

At least he's done his homework and seems nice enough to deal with. What he's doing is perfectly legal and the XBMC Team know all about the rights and restrictions of the GPL license. If they didn't want anyone doing something like this they would have released XBMC under a different license. XBMC is primarily a hobby for the devs, they are not interested in making money off it. Personally I think this guy had a great idea on how to make money ... wish I had thought of it first Smile

Now before the flames start ... I personally have contributed several thousand lines of code to XBMC ... so it's my work he's selling too Smile

Thanks,
Harry
Harry Muscle Wrote:wish I had thought of it first Smile

yeah me too, only I was always too lazy to actually read the GPL and so I figured I couldnt do it legally Big Grin
I rather die poor than exploit anything, regardless if legal, I still feel it wrong.

Such is the ways of the world where one looks first to make money regardless of what.

And as I said it before, just because something is legal doesnt make it right.

This clever guy saw an opportunity and exploited it, if indeed such company was as reputable as it so wants to paint itself the clear explanation that you can get this software in form of digital downloads even in form of CD (in most cases) directly from developers and for free in a large percentage of the cases it would be the honorable thing to do.

Yet the stance is worded in a ambiguous manner which not even GPL advises on, misleading at best, in order to attract idiots who know no better, for only them would pay for such service, even support which is given away for free, by users such as ourselves which can be harnessed to answer most support queries with a quick googling snap.

Extracted from GNU Direct quote

http://bit.ly/bdtnhK Wrote:The idea that laws decide what is right or wrong is mistaken in general. Laws are, at their best, an attempt to achieve justice; to say that laws define justice or ethical conduct is turning things upside down.

I for one wish to cross paths as little as possible with anyone who believes they should be the one monetizing on others hard work.

I advise if you want to make money do it by genuine services which you develop.

I suppose if it isn't this guy it will be someone else. One just wonders if he or anyone like him will stop at this "legal" affair, some sneaking suspicion tells me that for another quick buck a white lie wont make a difference. I know of a perfectly legal computer shops all over UK who fix what isnt broke when some unsuspecting customer brings their machines in... I see little difference in either business model.
I checked completed listings but nothing in last two months, nothing "xbmc" sold...If anyone has one of the premium sellers things it allows for completed listing searches for alot longer time range...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Harry Muscle Wrote:At least he's done his homework and seems nice enough to deal with. What he's doing is perfectly legal and the XBMC Team know all about the rights and restrictions of the GPL license.

I agree. In fact, it might be a good idea for XBMC team to make a CD and sell it. It could be sold on http://www.cafepress.com/xbmc and other places to provide some project advertisement and support funds.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Nobody said legal equals moral. But the development team chose the gpl with full expectations and encouragement of this behavior. Nobody is being exploited. If you don't like that they chose the gpl for their product then you should mind your own business. Its like a mob mentality around here conjuring up all this hatred when nobody is doing anything wrong you just have to enforce your opinions on matters that don't concern you. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Someone else making a profit on your hard work?0