Brightness & contrast non functional with DVXA
Hi, I was wondering if the fact those functions aren't working when using DXVA is a bug and if it could be fixed before the final version comes out;

I read on another thread that deinterlacing wasn't functional with DXVA, and that it will be part of the next release, not dharma. But one cannot actually select it in the options.
For brightness & contrast, I can change the settings but without visual changes. I guess if it's not possible to make that work at the moment with DVXA, it should be disabled.
Ideally though they should work Wink
They work on both my ATI and nVidia cards, so you need to provide a debug log and more details.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm running the latest xbmc svn, built locally using vs2008.
The nvidia system report:
Code:
Rapport Informations sur le système NVIDIA créé le : 11/03/2010 15:20:22
Nom du système : HTPC

[Display]
Processor:        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (3059 MHz)
Operating System:    Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit
DirectX version:    11.0
GPU processor:        GeForce 8600 GT
Driver version:        195.62
CUDA Cores:        32
Core clock:        540 MHz
Shader clock:        1188 MHz
Memory clock:        400 MHz (800 MHz data rate)
Memory interface:    128-bit
Total available graphics memory:    2303 MB
Dedicated video memory:    512 MB
System video memory:    0 MB
Shared system memory:    1791 MB
Video BIOS version:    60.84.54.00.38
IRQ:            16
Bus:            PCI Express x16

[Composants]

nvCplUIR.dll        3.3.532.01        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe        3.3.532.01        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Video Server
nvMoblSR.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Mobile Server
nvMoblS.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Mobile Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE        7.17.11.9562        NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision
NVSTTEST.EXE        7.17.11.9562        NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL        7.17.11.9562        NVIDIA 3D Vision Module  (0)
nvDispSR.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL        8.17.11.9562        NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA Display Server
NVCPL.DLL        8.17.11.9562        NVIDIA Compatible Windows7 Display driver, Version 195.62
PhysX        09.10.0224        NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL        8.17.11.9562        NVIDIA CUDA 3.0.1 driver
nvGameSR.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll        6.14.11.9562        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

The xbmc debug log when playing a file using dxva, and trying to change brightness or contrast (no visual effect):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4044591/xbmc.log

Hope that's enough.
There is nothing in the log but that's not surprising. Maybe the DXVA Checker would yield something interesting. Please upload on pastebin.com the capabilities for the progressive device (second tab).
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Here it is:
http://pastebin.com/79YRc1Na
Thanks. The processor seems capable of brightness/contrast adjustment so I don't know what's happening. Things definitely work for other nvidia cards.
The only way might be to add some debug code to xbmc.
I can do that. What should I be looking for? What files, functions, return values?
OK, check in DXVA.cpp, line 949, what values were assigned to m_brightness, m_contrast.

Then check the values assigned on lines 1076 & 1078 to blt.ProcAmpValues.Brightness and blt.ProcAmpValues.Contrast for a few different values of g_settings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_Brightness and g_settings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_Contrast (the GUI settings).
Ok, I've put this log:
CLog::Log(LOGWARNING, "gsettings brightness: %f; blt brightness: %d", g_settings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_Brightness, blt.ProcAmpValues.Brightness);

After it gets set in CProcessor::Render. By the way, your line numbers are completely different than mine ... Are we talking about the dharma branch or the trunk here?

Anyways. The values seem to be updated properly as far as I can tell: http://pastebin.com/1NVNug6t

I guess I should try to reinstall the whole OS with more recent drivers? hugh. Everything works fine elsewhere (I use DVBViewer for the TV alongside xbmc). My wife isn't going to be happy about this!
Make sure in your video cards settings (Nvidia Control Panel or AMD CCC) that you enable the video color settings to be application controlled, instead of managed by the sliders in those panels for the graphics card.
Good point ricanmeg, though I'm not sure that setting has an effect on the dxva processors.

Zeflash, yes that was on trunk. To make sense of the logged values, we now need to know the content of the m_brightness and m_contrast structures, assigned at the end of CProcessor::Open.
ricanmeg, that's an excellent point, it was indeed the problem here.
Gosh I should have thought about that before!
Alright then, case closed, my mistake! Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Brightness & contrast non functional with DVXA0