Edit shares within xbmc
hello

can somebody tell me why the editing of shares is not possible from within xbmc ?
when changing network setting aren't these saved in the xboxmediacenter.xml file? so why can't share/menu info be saved from within xbmc.

the reason i ask is when i explain to some people (less technically minded) how to update the xboxmediacenter.xml they get scared/confused Wink if there was a way to do it via the gui they might try use the program better instead of leaving it the way i set it up.

thanks
simon
1. ip settings are not stored in the xboxmediacenter.xml anymore (if you change the network settings it fet stored in the savegamefolder of xbmc)

2. editing shares from within the ui isn't as simple as the network setings vause we know there is one ip, one gateway and so on (with a fixed syntax too), but you can have from 0 to 100 shares.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
how about you use my files to browse to a folder, then bring up context menu and select "add folder as my video share" - obviously one for each media type.

this would be great. then all you would need is to be able to delete them when you go in to my videos etc...

just a thought.
have you tried pressing white while in my videos, my music, my pictures etc. etc.

seems to me that adding shares from the gui has been in for at least a month or so...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(jmarshall @ dec. 23 2004,15:50 Wrote:have you tried pressing white while in my videos, my music, my pictures etc. etc.

seems to me that adding shares from the gui has been in for at least a month or so...
i don't see that (using cvs 22-dec-04)

i get a context menu, but nothing that allows me to 'add shares'!
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
you need to be in the root folder ofcourse (the shares listing) to be able to do it. the context menu relies on context!
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

you are right of-course, but so am i! Smile

i do not get this menu unless i 1st go into a share/folder then return to the root.

eg...
open my videos, press white - get options like scan, settings etc
open a folder, return to root, press white, get add share, edit share etc.

after all that though, non of the buttons do anything! (don't see any thing in the log to highlight the problem either!Wink

(cvs build 22-dec-04)

regards - steve.
most (if not all) questions have been asked & answered soooooooooo many times, use the search button. (i think i'll put that in my sig!) - done :)
looks like a bug then. no doubt it'll be fixed after the holidays.

just to bump this thread & let you know, compiled cvs 4-1-05 & the problem still exists where 'add share' does not appear 1st time in the root of my videos/my pictures/my music. and once you do get it (see quote), it still doesn't seem to do anything...

Quote:i do not get this menu unless i 1st go into a share/folder then return to the root.

eg...
open my videos, press white - get options like scan, settings etc
open a folder, return to root, press white, get add share, edit share etc.

after all that though, non of the buttons do anything! (don't see any thing in the log to highlight the problem either!Wink

(cvs build 22-dec-04)

regards.
i noticed that i have to enable share locking first and then it allowed me to edit the path etc...
hmmm. i'll give that a try & then let you all know!
Thumbs Up 
looks like this update fixed it yo:

06-01-2005 fixed: [ 1088812 ] onscreen keyboard fails when editing shares.

just compiled a build and i can edit the paths without locking the shares. ..

thanks dudes
this way still means you have to have to be able to browse to where you want from my v/m/p to add the share.  what happens if you can't get to the share you want to add?

i for example have only the shares i use in the videos section.  therefore if i want to add a share say on another computer i have to edit the xml file.  however in my files i tend to keep all options open, so from here i could browse to any computer over smb and then could find share to add.  hence why i made the suggestion above.

secondly becuase of conflicts in the keymap.xml the contexts menus (in my v/m/p) haven't worked for remote users :nuts:

context menus are a great addtion though Smile

thanks
there is an "add share" option that does not require you to be able to navigate anywhere. you type in the share location and the share name using the virtual keyboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Edit shares within xbmc0