[WINDOWS] Converting Blu-ray rips?
What is the "ideal" hd lossless format to convert blu-ray rips to a single file in order to be playable in xbmc? For instance, is wmv or avi's quality better or vice versa? or some other format like mkv?
I repeat a single file only, no matter what the output size will be.
Furthermore, what is your favorite program, easy to use, for the conversion to take place?
Mkv is a good container and Make Mkv is a great tool to covert blu ray into mkv and is easy to use. Also currently a beta so no $ atm to use.
DVDFab will let you extract the m2ts file, which XBMC will play no prob.
Yes, I've used it, but it says of an evaluation period of 30 days, and it doesn't output in a single file.
pettakos Wrote:Yes, I've used it, but it says of an evaluation period of 30 days, and it doesn't output in a single file.

DVDFab HD Decrypter is free and it outputs a single file just fine. Maybe your drive is FAT32 and not NTFS?
M2TS is the raw file off the Blu-Ray disc, most of the time a simple copy out of the BDMV\STREAM directory will work, but if the movie is split out into multiple M2TS files and/or audio tracks, you can use TsRemux to recombine them all into one single file.

MKV is the best universal container to hold the untouched video and multiple audio tracks and subtitles, you can use MakeMKV for that.
So, I don't have to convert the m2ts file (whether one or multiple) into mkv, because I can play them flawlessly in xbmc.
Is that correct?
Most of the time, you'll be fine. Some movies do funky things with audio tracks and subtitles that funk things up, but those are pretty rare.
pettakos Wrote:What is the "ideal" hd lossless format to convert blu-ray rips to a single file in order to be playable in xbmc? For instance, is wmv or avi's quality better or vice versa? or some other format like mkv?
Furthermore, what is your favorite program, easy to use, for the conversion to take place?

XBMC does not naturally support commercial Blu-ray playback. This is not an issue of codec; it’s about the copy-protections. Besides, XBMC need C/C++ open source software libraries for all of these things to fully support Blu-ray playback.

In order to play blu-ray with XBMC, you have to crack the BD copy protections including AACS (up to MKBv19), BD+, region code restrictions, etc.

Hope this guide will be useful for you.
http://www.pavtube.com/guide/blu-ray-playback-xbmc.html
pettakos Wrote:What is the "ideal" hd lossless format to convert blu-ray rips to a single file in order to be playable in xbmc? For instance, is wmv or avi's quality better or vice versa? or some other format like mkv?

Try this:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198879

I like this over MakeMKV for two reasons. First, it uses all freeware programs to achieve its goal. Second, it has an option to convert Lossless audio to FLAC which XBMC can play in multichannel configurations.
Sony 75X940C, Yamaha RX-A3050, 2 x Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 1 x Martin Logan Motion 50XT, 2 x Martin Logan Motion FX, 4 x Martin Logan Motion 4, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, Sony X800 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield TV
Plex Server: Intel Skull Canyon NUC, 16GB RAM, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro
NAS: Synology DS2415+ (5 x 10TB, 2 x 6TB, 5 x 4TB)
Balthazar2k4 Wrote:Try this:

I like this over MakeMKV for two reasons. First, it uses all freeware programs to achieve its goal. Second, it has an option to convert Lossless audio to FLAC which XBMC can play in multichannel configurations.
+1
If you want to do something 'clever' then these tools allow you to take multiple files and combine them into one MKV. All good. However most people just want the movie, not all the extraneous parts often included on a BluRay disc. Assuming the .ISO file is on the PC (either as it was downloaded as such or it is accessible via AnyDVD-HD) then the STREAM folder will typically contain the movie in a single .M2TS (MPEG2 Transport Stream) file. This file can be played directly but I find it's better to convert it to an MKV file by DeMuxing then ReMuxing with the audio, subtitle etc. tracks you want. There is a full tutorial on this on contentwhores.com.
Balthazar2k4 Wrote:Try this:

+1

poofyhairguy Wrote:+1

what size do such rips at high quality normally have?
Suven Wrote:what size do such rips at high quality normally have?

Depends on the disc. Anywhere from around 14TB (Pixar movies) to 43GB (Avatar). It is a pure rip, no re-encoding....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Converting Blu-ray rips?0