Adding a file server...
Hey guys, ok so I'm new to the whole xbmc thing, and I got an original modded xbox with xbmc and a 160gb HD, but that just wasnt enough HD, I grabbed an old desktop that I want to use as a server for my files and I'm curious to what the best way to accomplish this is? Should I just wipe and reinstall windows? Or is Ubuntu a better option? If Ubuntu is the way to go do I go the standard Ubuntu or the server edition?...

I will eventually be modding another original xbox and connecting it to the network as well so I can access media in another room, not sure if that makes any difference in what route to go...

Thanks for any help!
Check out the hardware forum. Do a search on WHS, unraid, zfs, flexraid.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NAS...ed_Storage)

I went a different way but only because I needed a Print Server, Remote Access to my network and the ability to transcode MKV files so I went down the Windoze and TVeristy route.

Just out of curiosity though: I've got 2TB of video and would like Thumbnails for everything but have only been able to get them by manually adding each video to the library, is there a quick way to get thumbnails off a UPNP device?
Chomicz Wrote:I went a different way but only because I needed a Print Server, Remote Access to my network and the ability to transcode MKV files so I went down the Windoze and TVeristy route.

Just out of curiosity though: I've got 2TB of video and would like Thumbnails for everything but have only been able to get them by manually adding each video to the library, is there a quick way to get thumbnails off a UPNP device?

install ember media manager on a windows machine on the lan when importing set source as the server on the lan and let it scrape.

-=Jason=-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding a file server...0