Revo Performance Question
I've built and XBMC on xp with a REVO. Works great except some 1080 rips (they are like 6GB or larger) seem to stutter. Even though the movies are pulled from a NAS wireless I don't think it's a transmission buffer issue since they stutter even when pulled from a USB drive plugged directly into the system.

I'm planning on upgrading memory from 2GB to 4GB and I have the latest ION drivers from NVIDIA.

However, I was wondering if anyone had any input on weather a Linux XBMC system on a REVO might get better performance then XP?

Thanks!
Windows XP doesn't support hardware acceleration and the CPU on a Revo isn't fast enough to play 1080p without¹ hardware acceleration. You can either upgrade to Windows 7 or as you say use XBMCLive.

I use Win 7 on my Revo 3610 and it works very well. The advantage of Windows 7 is that it's familiar to most people. The disadvantage of course is that costs money while XBMCLive is free.

There is little or no performance difference between Windows 7 and XBMCLive on a Revo, and 2GB memory is plenty. An upgrade to 4GB memory isn't necessary.

JR

¹ thanks Alael :-)
jhsrennie Wrote:Windows XP doesn't support hardware acceleration and the CPU on a Revo isn't fast enough to play 1080p with hardware acceleration.JR
I believe you mean withOUT...

Anyway, Win7 +DXVA2 (or CoreAVC?) will help a lot.
Thanks for the replies! Nice to know there is a solution at least.

I use Ubuntu quite a bit and I"m wondering if it supports the hardware acceleration that you mention or if the drivers just aren't up to speed to make it worthwhile trying it out?

Thanks!
Works fine with ubuntu providing you install the correct drivers. Either that or use XBMCLive, or for the quickest and easiest option, try openelec.tv builds.

That being said, even with hardware acceleration working, you will more than likely have issues trying to play hd content over wifi.
I wouldn't bother upgrading the RAM. Like others have suggested, just use the Linux variant. You won't see any stuttering, at all. If you want the least amount of hassle, the XBMC Live version works great.
Thanks for all the tips. I was wonderilng if I install XBMC Live do you need to update the drivers to the NVidia site linux drivers or just use the native drivers on XBMC Live? This is for HDMI output of video and audio.
HawaiiMike Wrote:Thanks for all the tips. I was wonderilng if I install XBMC Live do you need to update the drivers to the NVidia site linux drivers or just use the native drivers on XBMC Live? This is for HDMI output of video and audio.

Use the default!

yeah don't bother upgrading live installs, most of the time just breaks the system
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:yeah don't bother upgrading live installs, most of the time just breaks the system

I have NEVER not just done a live upgrade.

Usually I add the SVN PPAs, apt-get upgrade.
Live Is a great jumping point, but after that it just works (for me).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo Performance Question0