• 8(current)
Release Forum Browser - Programs Addon
Hi ruuk will check this out tomorrow, this sounds amazing.
Thank you
John.
Just a quick note on adding forums.

For most forums that are tapatalk enabled, putting in the main path that you see when the forums are in view will work.

For example:

for this forum (http://forum.xbmc.org/index.php) you would enter 'forum.xbmc.org'

ign (http://www.ign.com/boards/) you would enter 'www.ign.com/boards'

Of course those are already there so you don't need to enter them.

Some forums might use non-standard tapatalk paths so you would need find out and enter the full path, something which probably ends with /mobiquo.php

I'm gonna try to add an online database and have the addon ask if you'd like to share a successful forum entry so that we can build the list of compatible forums.

It would be nice to be able to use the same search that the Tapatalk mobile apps do, but that doesn't seem to be shared with the general public. If anyone can manage packet sniffing on their phone and wants to find out what the method is, please feel free and let me know Smile

Hi ruuk

I've been testing your new forum browser 0.9.1. for the last 2 and a half hours I can only say "FANTASTIC"
I'm off out now but Sunday morning I will give you my findings and a debug log.
I was able to add two of the forums I use regulary with ease and they work perfectly.
The online database will be great

Thanks ruuk
Hi ruuk,

I really like the way you are taking the addon

please find my full debug log here ;-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hanselman

sorry it's so long

my set up is as follows:-

XBMCbuntu eden v11.0(xbmc.org)
Asrock ion 330ht
Transparency skin
Using a remote controller

Some things i've noticed while using forum browser 0.9.1 are that the xbmc.org icon in top lefthand corner is very low definition other forum icons seem much better quality

logging in to xbmc.org shows me as still offline next to my avatar, no message to say login failed due to this i wasn't able to test the text editor

when installing forum browser it shows no icon when the message "forum browser is enabled" alltough this is trivial most addons do

on xbmc.org im getting an error message "error getting threads please try again" when I click on "announcments, info, and general discussion"
the same for "help & support" also same message on the ign forum when clicking on "the gratis grotto 2" I suspect that was supposed to happen as they may be headers if so could they be a different colour?

in xbmc.org forum I was able to view full screen .jpegs, but wasn't able to download anything for example .zip files, it allowed me to try and designate a download folder but kept coming back to the download option of yes or no this happens 3 times in a row before the download question window diappears

(this is not in the debug log sorry)
I had selected xbmc.org as the forum to appear when starting addon, the actual xbmc.org website was down for a while this morning,
when I started forum browser there was a message to the affect of "forum not available click ok" when I clicked ok using my remote
forum browser lost focus and I had to use my mouse to change to an availble forum IE remote was not active.

xbmchub forum gives "error" message when getting to conversation level, but as you say I will mention to them to see if they can switch to tapatalk

I've added the following forums with great success
entered into forum browser as you see them

andriodforums.com
www.holidaytruths.co.uk

in the option to remove a forum it doesn't give me access to remove any of the preinstalled forums

some things maybe you could look at are adding:-

reputation and number of posts next to avatars

an option to alter the size of the text

adding the time somewhere, as time really went quick when using this addon

Thanks for all your efforts
This is a must have addon

Thanks John
many thanks for the update. I've really missed the use of this addon since the new forum format.

Clansman
Hi ruuk

have asked at the xbmchub forum for them to install the Tapatalk plugin Big Grin

http://www.xbmchub.com/oldforums/viewtop...f=3&t=1248
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: Some things i've noticed while using forum browser 0.9.1 are that the xbmc.org icon in top lefthand corner is very low definition other forum icons seem much better quality
Yeah, the api doesn't return a logo, so I'm substituting the site favicon which is only 16x16. I've got a solution I'm working on.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: logging in to xbmc.org shows me as still offline next to my avatar, no message to say login failed due to this i wasn't able to test the text editor
Did you set your user/pass with Set Logins in the settings? I don't see in the log that the addon even attempted to log in which it would have if those were set.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: when installing forum browser it shows no icon when the message "forum browser is enabled" alltough this is trivial most addons do
Don't know why that is, XBMC handles that.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: on xbmc.org im getting an error message "error getting threads please try again" when I click on "announcments, info, and general discussion"
the same for "help & support" also same message on the ign forum when clicking on "the gratis grotto 2" I suspect that was supposed to happen as they may be headers if so could they be a different colour?
Thanks, I just now fixed it by making it not show those. I will probably eventually put them back as headers and have the list item do nothing when you click it.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: in xbmc.org forum I was able to view full screen .jpegs, but wasn't able to download anything for example .zip files, it allowed me to try and designate a download folder but kept coming back to the download option of yes or no this happens 3 times in a row before the download question window diappears
I'll have to look at that.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: I had selected xbmc.org as the forum to appear when starting addon, the actual xbmc.org website was down for a while this morning,
when I started forum browser there was a message to the affect of "forum not available click ok" when I clicked ok using my remote
forum browser lost focus and I had to use my mouse to change to an availble forum IE remote was not active.
I'll have to look at that as well.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: xbmchub forum gives "error" message when getting to conversation level, but as you say I will mention to them to see if they can switch to tapatalk
Yeah I know. I hope they install the tapatalk plugin. It's main use is for mobile browsing which should appeal to a lot of users.
I have no desire to continually fix the scraping. It is time intensive.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: in the option to remove a forum it doesn't give me access to remove any of the preinstalled forums
I know. That requires some different handling so I haven't added it yet.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: some things maybe you could look at are adding:-

reputation and number of posts next to avatars
I'll add more info next to the avatars eventually depending on what the api provides.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: an option to alter the size of the text
I'll have to do some skin tricks to alter the font size. Right now they are only the size I specified if you are using confluence. I have a trick in mind that should give some control.
(2012-04-01, 11:14)hasselhof Wrote: adding the time somewhere, as time really went quick when using this addon
This is the part where I tell you to get a clock Wink

Hi ruuk, I'm having the similar problems to hasslehof. I've set my username and password for both XBMC and TVCatchup but it won't let me post. I've checked the log but there's no mention of a failed login, or even a login at all.
I can post my log if you need.
Cheers Smile
(2012-04-01, 22:52)dj_gerbil Wrote: Hi ruuk, I'm having the similar problems to hasslehof. I've set my username and password for both XBMC and TVCatchup but it won't let me post. I've checked the log but there's no mention of a failed login, or even a login at all.
I can post my log if you need.
Cheers Smile

I've figured out the problem but I'm out of time to get it ready today. I should have the fix available tomorrow, as well as some other additions.
Version 0.9.2

Changes:
Fixed a bug stopping logins from occurring
Fixed bug causing no focus when forum loading failed
Hide categories (which contain no threads)
Added ability to add share forums to the online database
Added ability to add forums from online database
Added ability to set description and logo when adding a forum
Improved the forum chooser with logos and description

The downloading bug is in the WebViewer addon. I've fixed it, and I'll post a link here when I have one ready.

Get it here:

http://forumbrowserxbmc.googlecode.com/f...-0.9.2.zip
Update WebViewer to fix file downloading from here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1064554
Version 0.9.3

Just before I was about to go to bed I found I bug I caused that would result in the wrong forum being selected when choosing forums. Here's the fix Smile

Get it here:

http://forumbrowserxbmc.googlecode.com/f...-0.9.3.zip
Hi ruuk,

please find my full debug log here along with some screenshots ;-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hanselman

my set up is as follows:-

XBMCbuntu eden v11.0(xbmc.org)
Asrock ion 330ht
Transparency skin
Using a remote controller
Forum Browser 0.9.3
Web Viewer 0.8.5

When I installed from scratch ie got rid of everything forum browser related and web viewer related, forum browser called web viewer V 0.8.2, not your new version so i installed v0.8.5 via zip, but I think you would be aware of thisBig Grin

When I'm viewing the main page on xbmc.org via forum browser I click on setting > set logins and I am presented with some nice icons in a list of pre installed forums but the list is not very clear as it is laid on top of the open forum page, please see screenshot via link above.When I go down the list the icons don't highlight but a text line in the top right corner changes is this the desired behaviour?. Login works a treat now thank you, but maybe a little popup to say login successful.How would I log out to browse anonymously?.Also login related when clicking on subscriptions I get a message "error getting threads please try again", and clicking on messages shows a blanks screen.I checked to see if I was logged in and I was, and I definitely have messages to retrieve as I can access them via the website.

When using the text editor to "quote" I get a blank window see screenshot from link above with no control or focus with remote, but I'm able to use mouse but clicking on "Add line" or "Add lines" or Submit Post" does nothing, no keyboard presses work either so I wasn't able to try the text editor.

Was able to add another forum "forums.tvcatchup.com", I was also able to rename and choose an icon, but the icons available were not very clear or good quality, or didn't represent the forum in anyway like your icons, please see screenshot via link above.

When I added a forum as a fav I could not see the favs distinguished in anyway

When clicking on "remove a forum" it only allowed me to remove the one forum I had added and not the pre installed ones.
When clicking on "remove a forum" without me adding a forum it just gave a blank screen

When checking out all the pre installed forums you put in I went from one to the other to the other and ended up on the xbmc4xbox forum, I then went back to xbmc.org but all the topics were still for xbmc4xbox but it said "forum.xbmc.org" at the top right of the screen see screenshot at link above. I then closed down forum browser and re opened forum browser back up and it kept saying "parsing data" see screenshot from link above.I could not get focus with remote, but was able to change to another forum using the mouse.

I disconnected my internet connection and started up forum browser, and it give me a nice message to tell me that the forum was not available, and I also still had focus with my remoteCool

Hiding the categories with no threads is much betterBig Grin

I like the new icons all around.Wink

Fullscreen images and downloading works a treat now thanksNod

I especially like the pool of forums idea it worked a treat I was able to add a new forum to the online database, and was able to install from the online database

Hope this helps you, maybe looking at the log will make things above clearer for you.
The screenshots have been named with long titles so if you want to see the titles right click and save as

Keep up the good work, really like what you've done so far

all the best

John.
Hi Ruuk

I too have managed to add TVCatchup, but I don't seem to be able to post in it or even here even though I've set my logins for both. I can post my log if needed, although the only useful thing I saw was the confirmation of my login.

Cheers, Chris.
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: When I'm viewing the main page on xbmc.org via forum browser I click on setting > set logins and I am presented with some nice icons in a list of pre installed forums but the list is not very clear as it is laid on top of the open forum page, please see screenshot via link above.When I go down the list the icons don't highlight but a text line in the top right corner changes is this the desired behaviour?. Login works a treat now thank you, but maybe a little popup to say login successful.How would I log out to browse anonymously?.Also login related when clicking on subscriptions I get a message "error getting threads please try again", and clicking on messages shows a blanks screen.I checked to see if I was logged in and I was, and I definitely have messages to retrieve as I can access them via the website.
All the visual problems are related to the fact that some image files did not make it into the zip (I just checked)
Fix coming in a few minutes.
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: When using the text editor to "quote" I get a blank window see screenshot from link above with no control or focus with remote, but I'm able to use mouse but clicking on "Add line" or "Add lines" or Submit Post" does nothing, no keyboard presses work either so I wasn't able to try the text editor.
There was probably some error. I'll look at your log.
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: Was able to add another forum "forums.tvcatchup.com", I was also able to rename and choose an icon, but the icons available were not very clear or good quality, or didn't represent the forum in anyway like your icons, please see screenshot via link above.
When adding a forum the addon scrapes all the images from the main forum page. It puts the ones in the same domain and with 'logo' in the url on the top of the list. Unfortunately if the logo from the page is in a style sheet it won't be found. The quality is whatever is there. TVCatchup's logo is had a different domain. I just tried adding it, and the logo was at the bottom of the list.
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: When I added a forum as a fav I could not see the favs distinguished in anyway
The favs go at the top of the list and there is a separator. When you get the fixed version you will see it Smile
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: When clicking on "remove a forum" it only allowed me to remove the one forum I had added and not the pre installed ones.
When clicking on "remove a forum" without me adding a forum it just gave a blank screen
That's still on the TODO list
(2012-04-03, 23:00)hasselhof Wrote: When checking out all the pre installed forums you put in I went from one to the other to the other and ended up on the xbmc4xbox forum, I then went back to xbmc.org but all the topics were still for xbmc4xbox but it said "forum.xbmc.org" at the top right of the screen see screenshot at link above. I then closed down forum browser and re opened forum browser back up and it kept saying "parsing data" see screenshot from link above.I could not get focus with remote, but was able to change to another forum using the mouse.

I disconnected my internet connection and started up forum browser, and it give me a nice message to tell me that the forum was not available, and I also still had focus with my remoteCool
Sounds like there was an error that stopped it in the middle of changing. I'll look at the log.

Glad you like the stuff that works Smile

The missing images are in there now. I checked Smile

Also, I've been messing around with the skin. I've changed the forums window and started changing the threads window, so it's kinda mismatched at the moment.

Get it here:

http://forumbrowserxbmc.googlecode.com/f...-0.9.4.zip
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Forum Browser - Programs Addon5