Share a folder in XBMC live that can be accessed by Windows machine
One of my XBMC systems (Revo 1600) is set up with a 1.5TB external hard drive plugged into it via USB. On that particular machine, I'd like to be able to share the folders on the external drive so that they are accessible by a Windows 7 box (and two Macs if possible) that are on that particular network. I'd also like to do this without involving any sort of login prompt (i.e. no username/password required) for any of the machines that access the content. Admittedly, I haven't done too much research on this, so I apologize if I'm begging for a RTFM here. Anyway, would appreciate some help from you guys.
The easiest way is to install and configure samba

Code:
sudo apt-get install samba

to install the samba server, and then edit/create the file /etc/samba/smb.conf

here's what mine looks like

Code:
[global]
        workgroup = HOME
        netbios name = XBMC2
        server string = XBMC2 Media PC
        security = SHARE
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
        dns proxy = No
        wins server =
        guest account = boykster
        guest ok = yes
        dfree command = /bin/dfree

[User]
        path = /home/boykster
        writeable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        browseable = Yes

You'll want to update the workgroup/server names to your settings, and if you did a default install with the user being xbmc you'll need to change the guest account and the path entries to match your installation. Depending on where you have the big drive mounted, you'll want to change the path so that it maps directly to it

Once you get that configured, you should be able to browse to your XBMC computer in windows explorer and access the files. If you want read-only (instead of read-write), change writeable = yes to no
oh, and if you do set it up so that you can browse your .xbmc folder using windows, be careful editing files - samba may change the mode on some things such that XBMC doesn't like them. best to continue to edit files natively in linux using nano or other *nix editor
boykster,

My apologies for taking so long getting back to you. It was quite a few days before I was around the box on which I was planning to set up the sharing. Anyway, I just got around to setting this up and it works great. Thanks a lot for helping me on this. It is much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share a folder in XBMC live that can be accessed by Windows machine0