Dharma 4 beta: Volume always at 67%
I have Dharma 4 Beta installed from LiveCD. Whenever I start XBMC the volume is always at 67% (setting in Audio Mixer). Changing it to 100% does not stick as a reboot puts the volume back at 67%.

Is that a known but or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks.
You can try setting and saving the volume settings. Run alsamixer then save the settings. Search the forums for alsamixer.
I have this problem too.
how to save setting from alsamixer ?
other post are not clearly...
From the Ubuntu Sound Troubleshooting guide

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

Using alsamixer
Type this into a shell
Code:
alsamixer
You will now see what appears to be a graphical equalizer. It is more like ten different volume controls in the sample place.

To navigate around:
*Left and Right Arrow Keys - Move left and right (if you move long enough in one direction you will get back to where you started - you will not fall off the screen )
*Up and Down Arrow Keys - Increase and decrease volume respectively.
*Letter M Key - Mutes/unmutes. If a channel is unmuted, then there is a green box underneath the volume slider. If the channel is muted, the box is grey.
Saving Sound Settings
Do this step to ensure that your alsamixer settings are reloaded with each boot. First make sure you have your settings just the way you like them in alsamixer. Then do
Code:
sudo alsactl store 0
or if this is your nth sound card (where n is the number of soundcards in your computer) replace 0 with n-1. Many thanks to xpix for trying this out.
the settings are not saved !!!
I try "sudo alsactl store" (other post) and "sudo alsactl store 0", but at restart the values of master volume is 67%

my system is:
Acer Revo 3610
XBMC Live Dharma beta 4

...this happened when I install audio mixer plugin... (one week ago) Oo
maybe if I uninstall? I try
I am at work now so I can't test it but let me know if uninstalling audio mixer fixes it. It is annoying to have the volume default to 67% every time.
Dharma b4 has a problem with volumes, known issue.
It's fixed already, you will be fine with next release with a minor manual intervention (delete .asoundrc).
also has a problem with the video aspect ratio?
some of my videos are not normally visible in full screen, but small-screen with black bands. before the upgrade was ok.
Could it be related to that also? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85146 even I have the same issue with Master volume not saved, and I think it could be related to the fact that the card in my zotac is not wel recognized and when the init is done (even via modprobe), it always starts at the same value, infact, if you change the line in /usr/share/alsa/init/default from
Code:
ENV{pvolume}:="-20dB"
to
Code:
ENV{pvolume}:="0dB"

your card will always start at 100% Master Volume...
iltasu Wrote:your card will always start at 100% Master Volume...

No not work, at restart, the volume is 67%
byxil Wrote:No not work, at restart, the volume is 67%

Hmmm! thus the same, unwanted, result is caused by different problems, I'm sorry this didn't worked for you.

Have you tried just to remove the setvolume directive from your kernel's grub entry?
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Then find the name/value pair called GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, probably you will find two of it, one commented out at the 9th line of the file, the other, uncommented almost at the end of it, edit this one by removing the directive, the line should now read:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb"
After this change, please issue the command:
Code:
sudo update-grub
To enable the change in the grub menu, then reboot.
Try this and tell me if the volume settings saved with alsactl store survive the reboot. Otherwise there's another thing you can try, by adding to /etc/rc.local, before the exit 0 command this line:
Code:
amixer -q set Master 100%

If none of the two methods above works, I really can't help you further (let's hope on the next version's fixes as stated by capriotti :-)
pls remove setvolumes as described above (if you have it) and also delete the lines with alsactl from /usr/bin/runXBMC and report
I just tried the ilatsu's suggestion. The grub file already had the line as it should be so no change was made. I have also edited the rc.local file by adding the amixer line. The second change did the trick. I have rebooted and run Mixer and sound is at 100%.

Thanks to all who replied and provided solutions.
with the audio mixer we can control the volume from optical output now too ?
search your computer for a .asoundrc file. If you have one, set the master volume to 100 ( I think a value of 64 corresponds to 100% but you'll have to check the range), reboot, and tell us what happens. Also, post of the contents of that file

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dharma 4 beta: Volume always at 67%0