Running other stuff on different desktops
Hello,

I am running the Dharma4 beta live on a Foxconn nt330i nettop. So far it works great but I'm trying to make some (hopefully small) modifications to start another Xserver that I would access through my laptop. The idea is to run other software on it (I'm thinking Spotify but there are clearly other potential applications for this kind of setup). The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get any sound out of it. I'm not an alsa expert but I was hoping it would be able to merge the sound coming from xbmc and whatever other programs are running but that doesn't seem to be the case. Even if I run with the same user on the same desktop I can't get any sound other than from xbmc. Is there a simple solution for this?

Thanks in advance
not an x expert so I am not sure if you connect to the existing xserver or start a new one. What you want is another session to run remotly while outputting sound on the htpc hardware?

Have you considered starting spotify with the launcher/executor the sameway as firefox can be started? Perhaps you want it remotly to control it from the laptop?

I dont know the "correct" way to do it with double xservers or what not, BUT if you install nxserver and connect WITHOUT enable sound support e.g. a webpage in the remote session will output sound on the local hw.
Hey, thanks for the response and for your tip on using Executor. I've been browsing the forum and found a thread on making Mozilla work under Executor (using flushbox as window manager). So you are right that I don't need to open additional X servers, I can open a Spotify window in Executor. That is good news.

The bad news, however, is that I can't get the sound working with wine. I've tweaked the .asoundrc according to some of the suggestions I've seen and eventually get sound in wine but then I lose sound in XBMC. And conversely, reverting to the original file gives me sound in XBMC but not in wine (winecfg "test sound" doesn't play anything). The tweaked .asoundrc includes this line:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

By the way, I'm using the HDMI output of my Foxconn ION Nettop for both video and audio

I guess the main question is, is there any way I can configure alsa to direct all sound to the HDMI output? Or even better, all sound to all outputs? I find this whole mixing business really confusing
Quote:pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

as only content works fine with xbmc on asrock ION 300

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71664
Ahhh... "only content". I was adding that on top of my existing file. Let me give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion
Quote:Ahhh... "only content".

I think the sound is also work in progress in beta4. If your file was generated by xbmc installation and you want to keep it the file has to be edited. I think it is a good idea to wait for next version before spending too much time.
No way. It's pretty funny, actually:
1)With the original .asoundrc or with the piece that you posted, I get xbmc music ok BUT no navigation sounds and no wine
2)With this other suggestion for .asoundrc:
Code:
defaults.pcm.device 3
(where 3 is my hdmi device), I get navigation sounds and wine sounds BUT no music in xbmc

Any clues what might be going on?
Big Grin 
Yay! I solved it! It took me a lot of digging and trying lots of different things I found in this forum and others but now everything works fine: xbmc music, movie playback, navigation sounds, external sounds, wine, spotify... everything runs smoothly. I'll create a separate thread with these keywords in the title so that other people can find it easily.

It's here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running other stuff on different desktops0