[Linux][Debian Lenny stock]No sound playing an xvid video - xbmc complaining - ALC662
Hello xbmc users!

I'm stuck with my xbmc config and I hope someone can help me to find out what's going on. Please excuse me for my (very) bad english, I'll try to be the most descriptive I can.

Summary of the problem
I'm trying to use xbmc 9.11 source version compiled on my debian lenny stock (almost, I added the debian multimedia and backport repositories for mplayer, with no priority changes). Xbmc works until I try to play a video or an mp3, then I heard no sound, and usually xbmc complains that my audio setting are wrong and I need to check them. xbmc don't crash but when I stop xbmc, the sound subsystem is in unusual state where no software can produce any sound (and usually says the /dev/dsp file are still in use). I need to reboot the computer to get back a working sound (tested with mpg123, mplayer and vlc - all this software work before running xbmc)
The picture is set, let's show you the ugly details.

hardware:
_MotherBoard Asrock NF6P-VSTA
*AMD Sempron™ Processor LE-1250
*Ram: 1Gb
*Video GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
*Sound "nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)" (which is a Realtek ALC662 using snd_hda_intel)

software:
_Debian lenny stock uptodate (Linux 2.6.26-2-686 32bits)
_xbmc 9.11 stable compiled from source
_xorg with nvidia drivers version 256.44
_fvwm 2 as a window manager to keep memory for usage and not for visual stuff
_running xbmc from an xterm
_no gnome or kde hungry ram thingies
_no pulseaudio stuff

aplay -l & -L:
http://pastebin.com/fFePfRLb

What I want to do:
The sound must work, I didn't have any spdif nor hdmi to setup, I just want something out my green jack ouput plug. That's all!

Before each test, I reboot the computer to have a fresh start (beside, after runing xbmc, the sound subsystem is dead and I didn't find any way to reset it)
I try mpg123 each reboot to see if the sound works. It worked every reboot.
I tried gmplayer and vlc (stock for both, no sound tweaking, it works out of the box) with the video I used to test xbmc: it worked.

test one, audio setting:
_digital
*ac3 & dts on
audio output default
passthrough: iec
_Before running a video or an mp3, xbmc produce sounds navigating through menus (mostly clicks)
_When I start a video, xbmc complains about my audio setting that I need to check it. But the video starts, without any sound
_After starting the video, there is no sound whatsoever outputting the soundcard, even the menu clicks.
_xbmc complains in the stderr output, here comes the output:
Code:
sh: /usr/bin/lsb_release: No such file or directory
sh: /usr/bin/lsb_release: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
CRITSEC[0x8ac82e4]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8ac82e4]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8acce60]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8acce60]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8acf744]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x8acf744]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
And the sound don't work anymore and mpg123 says this:
Code:
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
[jack.c:201] error: Failed to open jack client: 0x1
[module.c:111] error: Failed to open module Ԡ▒▒▒)is▒ܠ▒▒Р▒▒ء▒▒▒_s▒?▒X▒4r▒: file not found
[audio.c:179] error: Unable to find a working output module in this list: alsa,oss,esd,jack,pulse,nas,arts
[audio.c:463] error: Failed to open audio output module
[mpg123.c:757] error: Failed to initialize output, goodbye.
Aplay says:
http://pastebin.com/pRxWXUim
the only change is "Subdevices: 1/1" to "Subdevices: 0/1"

I'm unable to unload sound modules with modprobe, it says it's busy.

After this test 1, I've got a clue about lsb_release missing. I installed it and then restarted to try this:

test 2:
Audio analog
Audio output default

Note: I did the xbmc configuration when the sound subsystem is already dead, then reboot, then check if the config is still there, and then try the video.
Then I got (pretty the same) :
_Before running a video or an mp3, xbmc produce sounds navigating through menus (mostly clicks)
_When I start a video, xbmc complains about my audio setting that I need to check it.But the video starts, without any sound
_After starting the video, there is no sound whatsoever outputting the soundcard, even the menu clicks.
_xbmc complains in the stderr output, here comes the output:
http://pastebin.com/FB93xszK

It seems the lsb_release don't complains anymore, but leads to another problem. And the rest is mostly the same.

Test 3.
Audio digital
ac3 & dts off
audio out default
passthrough iec

→ same

starting with test 4 and further, xbmc don't complain anymore about my audio setting when I start playing a video. This may have a link with the debbuging turning on (in fact no, see test 6)

Test 4:
audio digital
audio output iec
passthrough iec
→ menu clicks before running the video, no sound playing the video, no complaining, sound dead.

test 5:
audio analog
audio output iec958
→ menu clicks before running the video, no sound playing the video, no complaining, sound dead.

latest test 6, with a full log
audio analog
audio ouput hdmi
→menu clicks before running the video, no sound playing the video, complaining to check audio setting
log: http://dspnet.fr/~lonewolf/cafzone/xbmc.log
(pastebin runs a 504 error when pasting this 72kb logfile, so I upload it on my website)

I googled over and over about xbmc, debian, alc662 and all this stuff, found a wide bunch of stuff about asoundrc getting 5.1, spdif or hdmi setting, but nothing about plain analog green jack output setting. I just want 2.0 stereo sound with xbmc, pretty please Wink

I tried to be the most detailed I can, to find out what I missed during all my test. Please note I tried .asoundrc stuff, but usually mpg123 stop working – I don't think I did this correctly anyway.
I found out some stuff with speaker-test, which work before running xbmc and stop working after.

Any clue are welcome, especially some more useful tests to pinpoint my problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux][Debian Lenny stock]No sound playing an xvid video - xbmc complaining - ALC6620