• 7(current)
Bad experience for a first time user of XBMC
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38964
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
If you can`t even manage to read a freaking wiki (which explains in depth how to do it, and basically explains 80% of the XBMC functionality, then don`t even bother posting. Go back to Boxee and it`s 1996 GUI.
Real friendly forum...
I have read the Wiki....over and over again and in it it states "Run 'Automated Scan"........

All I am asking is how to do this............

The Wiki just says ....do it It does not say HOW

Thanks for the GREAT COMMENT. You really are not here to help anyone ...are youHuh?

Oh well ...every forum has a asshole....
O`rly ? Lets qoute something from the wiki : http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_Library

Quote:The Library Mode is much more advanced and has many more features than Files Mode. In order to utilize Library Mode, you first need to scan your videos into the Video Library using The Context Menu. Be patient, as this can take quite a while if you have a large video collection.

It even shows you pictures for where it is located

And then you wonder why i was an ass....
Like I said ....Every forum has one...............
Instead of being a jerk to someone who has never used the program before, why not make an effort to actually help someone.
What you need to do is when the folder is highlighted on the screen press the C button on the keyboard. You should have options come up. I forget off hand which one to press,but I think that's what your looking for.

Traffic987 Wrote:Like I said ....Every forum has one...............

Make it two..................
Wow. I'm glad I didn't ask any silly questions when I was new to xbmc. Especially not with you guys around.

When you set up your source, one of the options was "run automated scan" this would have created the behavior you were expecting (ie. Star scanning media as sson as the source was set up. If you didn't do that, there are a few ways to initiate a media scan. The easiest way is to "update library" from the © context menu, or from the files menu "scan for new content" - again from the context menu.

Hope this gets you going.
The problem is, you can't enter library mode until you have set content

This still confuses me, and I've been running XBMC for years!

If you've already added the source and haven't set the content for that source, this can be nearly impossible to figure out.

The first thing to do is to bring up the context menu on the source that you have added, either by pressing "c" on the keyboard or pressing the "title" button on your remote control.

This should bring up a place where you can edit the properties of the source and "set the content" to be movies, so that you can scan them with The Movie DB or IMDB.

Sorry for the harsh replies. Hope this helps,

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:The problem is, you can't enter library mode until you have set content

If you've already added the source and haven't set the content for that source, this can be nearly impossible to figure out.

The first thing to do is to bring up the context menu on the source that you have added, either by pressing "c" on the keyboard or pressing the "title" button on your remote control.

This should bring up a place where you can edit the properties of the source and "set the content" to be movies, so that you can scan them with The Movie DB or IMDB.

-Wes

Actually, the way it's being handled since dharma rc2 I think is a little more intuitive - it's actually a second screen that comes up after you set the source paths... Makes it a little clearer that it is an important and vital step.

But your point is well made, previously it made it tough if you didn't know what you were doing already.
I have no problem when someone new to the software has a question. The forum is a great place to find answers to your questions. Nearly every day this question is asked. I'm glad to see that you checked the wiki but honestly it is more centered around Camelot (the previous release) and doesn't apply as easily to the new Dharma release. I just wish I had the free time right now to edit the Wiki.

Now, that being said, you are going about looking for help in the wrong manner. You don't come in here on your first post titled Ney to XBMC. There are a lot of people that put a lot of free time into this software. The developers have written one of the best free, open source programs that I have ever seen. Nobody is getting rich off of XBMC. In fact, its all community driven and the developers do not make a cent.

If you have questions I'm sure that lots of people in the forums will be more than happy to help but you need to do it the right way.

1) Search the forum (search button located at the top of the page). Search Google. Ask a friend. Then post if you cant find the info. You have to put some effert in. You didn't even look for a solution because its literally everywere in this forum. There must be hundreds of posts on this issue and its also stickied.
2) If your research fails to provide a solution then tell us your problem.
3) Tell us what steps you have done to find a solution on your own.
4) If its possibly a OS/Hardware issue then tell us your system details.
5) Learn how to post debug log files if its a serious issue
6) Never create a forum post bashing the program when you are expecting to find a solution to a problem. Did you honestly think you were going to get an immediate answer to your problem?Sad

Just my 2 cents
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
waldo22 Wrote:The problem is, you can't enter library mode until you have set content

-Wes

Well, it`s kinda logical that you can`t enter library mode which displays metadata when there is no actual metadata to display (you haven`t set a scrapper, so XBMC has no metadata in the cache).

In 10.10 you are forced to set up a scraper since after you add a source it prompts you to select the type of content that folder has. And then you can just enter the Movies library by pressing the right arrow on Videos and selecting movies (this is on Confluence, other skins like Aeon MQ make it a lot easier by having the Movies/TV Shows shortcut directly in the main menu).
An issue with XBMC is it's user friendlyness... from past reviews done
by external magazines and stuff the main complaint has been that it feels
very little inutive to use.

And i honestly have to agree, the problem is that users like us who has been fidling with xbmc since the xbox days have now a hard time judging the ui since we all are so used to it.

This has been discussed many times before from alotta different threads.

Main stuff that i know confuses new users:

1. Library and file mode, this is an old timer -
regular user just doesen't seem to understand the difference. How to fix this is probably not an easy task. In my opinion there shoulden't be any of them. Somehow the scrapers must be fast enough and rugged enough to scan stuff that can be scanned into a movie collection. And then all the items that doesent get scraped could be also put into the library with some default icons.

2. Add source
Would be much better to somehow have a main menu entry or startup wizard that helps the user adding their movies/pictures/tv shows or whatever.
Offcourse there should be possible to still add sources but maybe instead of calling it sources it would be better to call it "add media" ?
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Thanks for all of you that helped......The use the C key was the problem and I had no idea what a scraper was.

Just a comment,

Please take this in a constructive way.....

I came here after discovering Boxee. I downloaded that program and did not read a manual or a long Wiki. The hardest thing in setting up that program was discovering to left bump the side panel, that took about 30 seconds to find out. From there I had my video folder entered and it stated to download content. Within minutes I could see part of my files with all info being added. SUPER EASY

No reading what so ever.......

I realize Boxee is a sister or better said a child of XBMC, but they took a unfriendly interface for new users and made it super user friendly.

I am a IT guy installing 100's of different kinds of software 100's of times and know that you can get into the basic installation of a software program without a manual.

XBMC is a simple program to do a simple thing, put your content on a HD TV, a least that's what I what it to do. A manual is meant to get into the meat of a program. Microsoft word is a good example. Install it and you can work with it instantly. If you want all the hidden features, read the manual. Boxee is just like that.

If you you have been using XBMC for a while you probably will not see my point because its second nature to you, but don't tear into me like several here have because I ask what you consider a simple or DUMB question.

Again Thanks....................................
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bad experience for a first time user of XBMC1