• 1(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept
So, I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while now with the intention of designing and coding it myself. I'm posting it today to see if:

A) There is any interest in a skin concept like this (its pretty off the radar from most of the skins out there)

B) If I can drum up some interest in helping me with the coding. As much as I want to code this myself, I just can't seem to put together the time to get it going.

So, I humbly present: The Paper Street Soap Company.

The Movie Browsing Interface:

The Movie Info Screen:

Cast View:

TV Shows:

TV Episodes:

List View:

I'm certainly not sold on font choices yet. Some of the text are placeholders until I can draw up some suitable media flags, etc. You get the idea of how the rest of the media areas will shape up. I have some animation ideas to make this flow... for instance I would like for when you press "i" on the movie, the notepad image will slide up and left, the coverart moves to the left and out of the way, and the additional covers fade to 0 in the background while the rest of the smaller elements drop in.

Comments and suggestions are welcome. Again, I know this is pretty far outside what we're used to seeing in XBMC Skins, which is frankly why I decided to head down a different road!

(Using Xperience Media Flags as place holders - not the final icons.)
Nice work, you definitely have something Unique there... looking forward to see more views!
| Thermaltake DH101 | Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H | 2.13GHz INTEL Core2Duo E6400 | 2GB Corsair XMS2 | 5TB Storage | Integrated sound + nV7100 + MSI GT210 | WIN7 + XBMC Dharma 10.0 + Transparency! |
Interesting indeed. It's definitely different. I'd like to see more as well.
ohh nice looking and original
I like it a lot a well. It's totally different from the "usual" modern style skins.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Nice Idea, Looks very differnt a little like game interfaces or webpages. Not sure how xbmc will render the text diagonally I believe there was a skin a while back that promised to use diagonal text and menu's but I think they encountered problems. Concrete?

Try building a test to see if its doable before you design all your pages perhaps.
Sure seems like this community shows a lotta love towards the movie Fight Club.
Project Mayhem
The Paper Street Soap Company

Looks really unique and nice if possible.
My XBMC/Gaming rig:
Cougar Evolution - AMD Phenom II 1100T @ 4ghz w/ custom Noctua 3-fan Cooler - 16gb DDR3 1866 - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - Nvidia GTX570 superclocked -
SeaSonic Platinum 860W PSU - OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD - 8TB storage
Mouse- Cyborg R.A.T. 5 Keyboard- Mad Catz V.7
pretty !

it's a hard way you take, but really original and eyes candy idea Wink
Simply unique! Deserves to come to life...
Montellese Wrote:I like it a lot a well. It's totally different from the "usual" modern style skins.

Thanks for all the kind words. That's completely what I'm going for - lots of eye candy and a totally unified theme - but something different than all the high tech looking skins.

I'm aware that there are some technical hurdles to jump, but does anyone see anything that simply can't be done? There are some animations that I would like to have happen: for instance on the movie info screen, how cool would it be if the card with the coverart would swing from side to side slightly? But that's all down the road and may honestly just add too much overhead to the graphics rendering.

As far as the slanted text goes, someone please correct me if I'm wrong but that should be fairly easy to accompish? All the text so far is meant to be static so we don't have to worry about scrolling with diagonal text and such.

I'll have a few more screens later this evening, I've had a couple more brainstorms I want to flesh out.

Blacklist.
DukeOfTheWicked Wrote:Sure seems like this community shows a lotta love towards the movie Fight Club.
Project Mayhem
The Paper Street Soap Company

Looks really unique and nice if possible.

Remember the first rule of Fight Club, my friend Eek
Interesting concept and nice looking graphics. You are looking at some heavy animation work to get those wraplists to flow nicely with those crooked overlays and borders. Just something to think about. Good luck with your project!
blacklist Wrote:As far as the slanted text goes, someone please correct me if I'm wrong but that should be fairly easy to accompish? All the text so far is meant to be static so we don't have to worry about scrolling with diagonal text and such.

<angle>30</angle>
Awesome!

The movie list and info screens are really cool!
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hitcher Wrote:<angle>30</angle>

As I suspected. Thank you senor.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept7