• 5(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept
Love the concept and as others mentioned its very innovative.. However, I have a small suggestion.. Too early for suggestions huh?Wink

Well I think a Serif Font will suit the whole design and concept perfectly. Such as a Gregorian, Times New Roman.. It will mimic a real book.. Since most of them are printed with Serif Fonts..

Good luck bro...
I had considered using a serif font and even have it on some of my early mock ups. The reason I didn't end up using it was for readability. At 1080p on a 55" LCD from 15 ft all those little serifs made the text almost unreadable to me. It was simply too much, particularly with large blocks of text.

I HAVE however considered using a mixture of fonts in the design to add to the jumbled look. We'll see what I can come up with.

As an exciting side note, ronie is in board to work on the coding to bring this thing to life. Were both pretty busy - particularly through the holidays but I'm really excited that this may actually see the light of of day eventually.

Dullie Wrote:Love the concept and as others mentioned its very innovative.. However, I have a small suggestion.. Too early for suggestions huh?Wink

Well I think a Serif Font will suit the whole design and concept perfectly. Such as a Gregorian, Times New Roman.. It will mimic a real book.. Since most of them are printed with Serif Fonts..

Good luck bro...
It looks awesome! The only thing I could find which I think could be better is that the text below the format/codec/etc icons seems a little hard to read. But that's the only thing I could find I don't like, and it's a pretty small thing!
While I love the concept I fear it's just not going to work in practice because with everything at an angle you'll get horrible jaggies as I found out when testing.

Hitcher, are you using in test 720p? I think when skin is in 1080 the jaggies are smaller (if I can compare with this what Ronie present).
AsRock 330 HT, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Openelec 3.2.4
Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB RAM, Kingston 120GB SSD, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131126081257-r16438
angled labels are surely a thing to worry about.
guess it needs a lot more testing to decide whether they are acceptable or not.

as for the images, don't use 'hard edges'. if you use a 1 or 2 pix diffused border, the jagged effect will be far and far less.

no clue if there's a diff between 720/1080 in this regard.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Sorry ronie, I didn't see your work on the previous page.
A good time if any to explore anti aliasing also Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
WOW Very nice
Good work
Can't wait
ronie Wrote:been trying to make up my mind ever since i saw your first screenshot...
it surely is the most outstanding skin design i've ever come across and i would love to help you out as much as i can....

but, like yours, my spare time is very limited at the moment.

anyway, against better judgement, i started coding your list view.
mostly as a proof of concept and to get an idea how much time it's gonna take to bring a design like this to life.

as mentioned before, using angled labels is not the most outstanding feature of xbmc, though it looks quite acceptable on my 1080p screen.

so after several hours of coding, here's a real working screen of The Paper Street Soap Company in action:

cheers,
ronie

Highly Impressive work, and it looks very stylish.

topfs2 Wrote:A good time if any to explore anti aliasing also Smile

Does XBMC support Anti-Aliasing ?
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ronie Wrote:angled labels are surely a thing to worry about.
guess it needs a lot more testing to decide whether they are acceptable or not.

as for the images, don't use 'hard edges'. if you use a 1 or 2 pix diffused border, the jagged effect will be far and far less.

no clue if there's a diff between 720/1080 in this regard.

I think this will also be helped by the "grungy" look of the skin in general. With less totally straight edges and square corners I'm hoping that the overall errfect will not be a pronounced as in your example Hitcher. I agree that in that case it is certainly unacceptablly jaggy.

The idea of anti aliasing is new for me in a skin as well. Are there plans to allow such a thing?
Not as bad at 1080p but AA would be beneficial.

Hitcher Wrote:Not as bad at 1080p but AA would be beneficial.
Did you change your test skin to 1080p or this is just scalled to 1080p? If the first my theory is drown Smile
Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB RAM, Kingston 120GB SSD, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131126081257-r16438
But I remember that Xperience has Slanted Wall view and there is not so bad, the truth is that the angle there is small.
mstef Wrote:Did you change your test skin to 1080p or this is just scalled to 1080p? If the first my theory is drown Smile
Yeah, I ran it on my HTPC at 1080p.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company - a new skin concept7