Android keyboard for xbmc(Query/Suggestion)
I'd like to be able to use my android keyboard to type in xbmc. Currently I have to use the onscreen one with remote control UI, when I am using search functions. I'm a developer and I'd be up for doing some coding. I just thought I'd post and see if anyone else is working on it and if the event server is capable?

Anyone know?

XBMC WTF!
I am not sure but isn't the JSON-API replacing the eventserver?

All info. regarding this subject is summed up overhere.
Robotica Wrote:I am not sure but isn't the JSON-API replacing the eventserver?

All info. regarding this subject is summed up overhere.

Will the new API support the ability to type using an android phone ?

IMO, this would be the apps best feature, if it was possible.
If you're running Linux RemoteDroid might be a solution

Edit: Just noticed that it's also compatible with Windows Smile
skare Wrote:If you're running Linux RemoteDroid might be a solution

Edit: Just noticed that it's also compatible with Windows Smile

I have used remotedroid, but I couldnt get it too run as a service. Also you would have to switch between the xbmc app and the remote droid app, which is not great.
I currently use gmote for the keyboard and the XBMC remote app for the remote, it does involve switching but it's not that bad.

I love the way the boxee app automaticlly opens the keyboard when it's time to input text on the screen, if xbmc could also do this that would be a great plus.
marathont Wrote:I have used remotedroid, but I couldnt get it too run as a service. Also you would have to switch between the xbmc app and the remote droid app, which is not great.

I found a solution to start RemoteDroid and XBMC together. Works like a charm...

I'm going to write a xbmcremote extension in order to call the RemoteDroid client from xbmcremote directly.
Being able to use the Android qwerty keyboard from within XBMC remote itself would be awesome Smile, I plan on getting an android phone with hardware keyboard, and I would really love support for the keyboard Smile
I use xbmc on xbox, is there a way to use a remote to enter text from the android phone ?

thanks
I agree this feature would be a great add to the remote
It's kind of strange we don't have this feature yet in the XBMC remote. iPhone users laugh at us! Wink
Larry_Lobster Wrote:I found a solution to start RemoteDroid and XBMC together. Works like a charm...

I'm going to write a xbmcremote extension in order to call the RemoteDroid client from xbmcremote directly.

Can you post the solution you found? I've been unable to get the RemoteDroid server to launch in XBMC.
jesseg Wrote:Can you post the solution you found? I've been unable to get the RemoteDroid server to launch in XBMC.

I have edited /usr/bin/runXBMC like this:
PHP Code:
if [ "$(pidof X)" ] ; then

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/live.d/startRemoteDroidServer.sh

/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone

exit
fi 

PHP Code:
echo "#!/bin/bash" >  /home/$xbmcUser/.xsession

echo "/home/xbmc/.xbmc/live.d/startRemoteDroidServer.sh" >> /home/$xbmcUser/.xsession

echo "/usr/bin/xbmc --standalone" >>  /home/$xbmcUser/.xsession 
I know its a little late, but whats in your startRemoteDroidServer.sh file?
This should be a feature request (use android keyboard to control xbmc) in the android app topic. Is there already one?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android keyboard for xbmc(Query/Suggestion)0