new Build Questions
Star 
djmcnz Wrote:It must be magic then.
  • When it's streaming PCM my receiver says "PCM"
  • When it's streaming DTS my receiver says "DTS"
  • When it's streaming Dolby THD my receiver says "Dolby TrueHD"

Do you think the receiver is just making the last one up? Guessing and getting it right every time? Huh

poofyhairguy Wrote:Not correct.

With an ION system you CAN get HD audio, but it WON'T bitstream DTS HD and Dolby True HD to your system due to a hardware limitation.

If you play a file with Dolby True HD or 8 Channel FLAC then if configured correctly an ION system will pass along that lossless audio to the receiver via 8 channel PCM (aka the Dolby True HD is decoded to 8 channel PCM) which gives the EXACT same sound quality as if it did direct bitstreaming.

What an ION system WON'T do is decode DTS HD- there is no open source library for that codec. Instead it wil just pass through the "core" DTS track, which for a Blu Ray is so massive that in blind tests it has been proven that audiophiles can't tell a difference....

poofy, a little help here?
lloydsmart Wrote:poofy, a little help here?

Your persistence may have been for the good cause...

So, I looked it up and if it does work for me then I'm probably the only one in the world. On that basis I will accept I am wrong.

Having had a read on the interwebs it seems this is indeed impossible with the ION chipset without an extra card. The info is for all to see.

So, my recollection of Dolby TrueHD on the display of my receiver can only be from watching physical discs in my Blu-ray player.

Me: Angry -> Blush -> Rolleyes

You: Shocked -> Huh -> Nod

I feel dumb. I will go back and edit my previous posts.
lloydsmart Wrote:That Eee box doesn't bitstream Dolby THD or DTS-HD MA.

djmcnz Wrote:You're incorrect, it does bitstream Dolby THD (I'm doing it). And I didn't say DTS-HD...

No actually, I was incorrect and lloydsmart was correct.

My ION system does NOT bitstream any HD audio codecs, sorry for the confusion.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new Build Questions0