Request for skin consistency between xbmc and website
Using the built in skin downloader in xbmc displays only a few skins available for download. Rapier is missing for example, whereas on the website it seems to be listed.

Its also the same the other way around... the skin "night" is available from within xbmc but not on the website skin page.

is there a reason for this?

XBMC is great BTW Big Grin
Other than we don't keep up with it, no. It's not exactly an exciting job.

If we have a volunteer to keep this sort of thing updated, then feel free to PM one of us.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Isn't that the kind of thing that could be done by... a computer ? Laugh
I have no idea how it currently work but it seems to me that in the long term it would be useful if you only had to submit the skin once for it to appear both on the website and the xbmc UI.
Also the same thing could be said about plug-ins : I installed xbmc for the first time a few days ago, and before I downloaded it I wanted to see what kind of plugins were available (to get an idea of what could be achieved with the software), so I think it would be a good thing if the plugin listing was also available on the website.

Of course I understand if all that is very low priority.
If the screenshots were auto-generated from a known well working system (which we don't have) then yes, it could probably be done automatically.

This isn't done obviously as computers currently aren't intelligent enough to know that a particular screenshot will look really good and show off the skin well.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

why not ask the author to do it ?

It might require some more in depth changes but maybe the author him/herself could provide a few screenshots in the skin archive along with the description and icon. That way the exporting to the site could be automated AND it would allow you to preview a skin directly from the XBMC interface.
Because skinners are lazy :p
BlueScreenJunky Wrote:why not ask the author to do it ?

It might require some more in depth changes but maybe the author him/herself could provide a few screenshots in the skin archive along with the description and icon. That way the exporting to the site could be automated AND it would allow you to preview a skin directly from the XBMC interface.

I actually like this idea. This would (in the distant future) allow users to look at some screenshots of the skins available in the addon-repo (inside XBMC) before actually installing it. The way it is now you check the list of skins in the repo and then you have to options:

1. Install it blindly and play around with it to see if you like it and if you don't you uninstall it again.
2. Go to the forum, search the appropriate thread of the skin and see if you like it and if you do go back to XBMC and install it.

I would like it if it would be possible to look at some screenshots while I'm browsing the repo. This allows me to skip the skins that I don't like simply from looking at some screenshots and focus on the skins that seem nice (of course it can still turn out that I don't like one but chances are lower).

If anyone could point out where I would have to start in the code to include such a feature I'd be willing to try my best.

The step to automatically include this into the website is another but when the XBMC repo would support screenshots it would be easier to auto-include them into the website.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Montellese Wrote:1. Install it blindly and play around with it to see if you like it and if you don't you uninstall it again.

Exactly what I did with all the skins yesterday :-P

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Request for skin consistency between xbmc and website0