Problems with HTPC build (Ubuntu)
Hi!
I'm about to lose my mind. Nothing seems to work at the moment. I've just built my own HTPC with the specs:

* Motherboard: Gigabyte 880gma-ud2h
* Optical Drive: LG CH10 Blu-Ray
* PSU: Fractal Design Tesla 550W, 80+
* HDD: Western Digital AV-GP 1.5TB
* RAM: Kingston DIMM DDR3 4GB 1333MHZ CL9
* CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.1GHZ 2MB
* Computer Case: Antec HTPC Fusion Remote Black
* Media Center Program: XBMC

On this system I've installed Ubuntu desktop 10.10 x64 and I've already posted a question regarding the optical drive here. The chassi has a built in IR-receiver and LCD-display. I've tried following all tutorials I've could possibly find on the internet but nothing seems to work. The remote's basic functions work but not all that I would like to have programmed and the LCD-display shows the current time. But I can't get the LCD to show what is currently playing and all that and as I said, the remote doesn't fully function either.

When I try following the tutorials I do what I'm told and it always work in the beginning but then I'm supposed to edit a file which don't exist on my system and I have no idea why because I've installed both LIRC and LCDproc. If someone could help me with tailor made tutorial it would be perfect!

Oh and another question. When I try booting ubuntu I always get an error but I can get into ubuntu by typing "exit" after a (initramfs) message appears. And all the solutions are stating that I should change a value in /boot/grub/menu.list but as I said earlier, that file doesn't exist on my system and I'm starting to lose my mind!

I appreciate all replies!

Thank you!
Telling us what file doesn't exist may help in figuring out why that file contributes to the problem.

Remember how Baggins got the ring, "What's in my pocket."...

Have you tried the LiveCD?
Well, for example, when I follow this tutorial the file /etc/modrobe.d/lirc.conf doesn't exist for me.

The rest of the tutorial worked out fine for me when I tried earlier but after that I tried starting from the beginning since I got some errors later on but now I can't uninstall LIRC. When I try I only get this message:

* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC [fail]

and after that I cannot reinstall LIRC again :/

and In this tutorial I cannot mount /proc/bus/usb in the second step because it doesn't exist. It might that all the tutorials are outdated and doesn't apply for ubuntu maverik but I can't find any newer ones.

If someone just could show me the right direction it would be great!
Here is a thread on the XBMC forums that may help.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=63129

I'm very interested in the steps you take to get this fixed. I'm going to be getting a new case in the coming weeks and I would like to get one with a display.
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
(Just a note: I'm relatively new to linux so I appreciate you being as thorough in your responses as possible, as you have so far, and I will do the same)

Ok, here I go again. I just wrote a long response but accidentally went away from the page and now I have to rewrite the whole thing Smile here goes.

I successfully reinstalled LIRC by using purge instead of remove:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get purge lirc
$ sudo apt-get install lirc

but I can't get it to work correctly because when I try to restart it I get this message:
Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart
* Stopping remote control daemon(s): LIRC    [fail]
* Loading LIRC kernel modules                     [OK]
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify
* your selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

And therefore(?) I can't run
Code:
$ sudo irw

to see if it works correctly or not. I've checked /etc/lirc/hardware.conf but I don't know what's wrong :/

Here is my hardware.conf file:
Code:
# /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
#
#Chosen Remote Control
REMOTE="Soundgraph iMON Antec Veris"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_imon"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="imon/lircd.conf.imon-antec-veris"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Chosen IR Transmitter
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""

#Enable lircd
START_LIRCD="true"

#Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
#START_LIRCMD="false"

#Try to load appropriate kernel modules
LOAD_MODULES="true"

# Default configuration files for your hardware if any
LIRCMD_CONF=""

#Forcing noninteractive reconfiguration
#If lirc is to be reconfigured by an external application
#that doesn't have a debconf frontend available, the noninteractive
#frontend can be invoked and set to parse REMOTE and TRANSMITTER
#It will then populate all other variables without any user input
#If you would like to configure lirc via standard methods, be sure
#to leave this set to "false"
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION="false"
START_LIRCMD=""
Another tutorial tells me to follow these instructions but when I try to connect with cvs I need to enter a password but how the heck should I know what password that is?
This tutorial helped me get everything working with the LCD. Now I only need LIRC to work with the correct button configuration and the LCD to be able to show what is viewed on XBMC
gunnarflax Wrote:This tutorial helped me get everything working with the LCD. Now I only need LIRC to work with the correct button configuration and the LCD to be able to show what is viewed on XBMC

This was a dead link. Do you have the correct url for this. I'm very interested.
Thanks
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
Man, I've must have checked every available tutorial out there by now Smile I found one which was very informative and helped me a lot. You can find it here. But of course doesn't it work as it should. When I run:
Code:
dmesg|grep lirc
I get these messages:
Code:
[   77.132169] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
[   77.155918] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_dev_fop_poll (err 0)
[   77.156125] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_dev_fop_open (err 0)
[   77.156222] ir_lirc_codec: disagrees about version of symbol lirc_get_pdata
[   77.156224] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_get_pdata (err -22)
[   77.156631] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_dev_fop_close (err 0)
[   77.156684] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_dev_fop_read (err 0)
[   77.156733] ir_lirc_codec: disagrees about version of symbol lirc_register_driver
[   77.156734] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_register_driver (err -22)
[   77.156864] ir_lirc_codec: Unknown symbol lirc_dev_fop_ioctl (err 0)
[   88.833228] lirc_imon: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[   88.833762] lirc_imon: disagrees about version of symbol lirc_register_driver
[   88.833764] lirc_imon: Unknown symbol lirc_register_driver (err -22)
Hopefully they mean anything to someone Smile
htpc guy Wrote:This was a dead link. Do you have the correct url for this. I'm very interested.
Thanks

There, now the link is fixed!
There! I managed to get LIRC working! It seems that all tutorials available are utterly outdated but this tutorial helped me setting up LIRC! Now It's working and I'm getting the button codes after having initialized "irw". I will set up it so that it works with XBMC now and if I succeed with that I think I will create a new, more up to date, tutorial for setting it up Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with HTPC build (Ubuntu)0