Crystal HD Problems - Black Screen?
Maybe the CrystalHD x86 drivers are less buggy than the x64 ones? I can try loading Ultimate x86 and see if that works any better, and the new Ubuntu Unity. I will try to exhaust the software possibilities.
kegobeer Wrote:Ok, I used Handbrake to encode 5 chapters of Captain America using the high profile preset. If I deselect DXVA2 and select Crystal, the file plays back smoothly. There were a total of 78 drops, and most of them happened right at the start, when the Paramount opening stars fly-by transitioned into the Marvel flipping pages, and then again from there to the start of the movie. After that there were just a few drops. I think I saw a few slight pauses/jitters, but if I wasn't looking I don't know if I would have seen them.

There was definitely no jumpy playback or black screens or anything like that. I think the Crystal HD handled the playback pretty well, considering it was pretty highly compressed video.
Specs of your machine? Is the Crystal HD of the 70015 or 70012 variety?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
ashlar Wrote:Specs of your machine? Is the Crystal HD of the 70015 or 70012 variety?

kegobeer Wrote:I've got Eden beta 2 on a D510MO running Win 7 Ultimate x86, using 3.6.9 Crystal HD drivers with BCM970015, and I have perfect 1080p playback of all my BDMV rips stored on my WHS. The only thing I have issues with is flash playback in XBMC (Hulu, Youtube, etc), where it's jittery. Those same flash sites work great outside of IE.

I also have 1GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200rpm WD hard drive. Let me know if you need anything else.
I also ripped chapter one of Green Lantern into a mkv container, using the latest handbrake nightly (from yesterday), grabbing just the DTS and DTS-HD MA soundtracks, and it plays back the same as my Captain America rip in a MP4 container using the latest stable handbrake (0.9.5). There are a slight amount of drops, mostly during scene changes and when a scene becomes completely black, just like with Cap. And just like Cap, there are slight stutters, but I really have to be looking for them to notice them.
Just in case anyone is wondering, here are my handbrake (svn4418) settings:
high profile preset
container: mkv
Picture: size: 1920, anamorphic=loose, modulus=16, cropping=auto
Video filters: default/default/off/off/off, grayscale encoding not checked
Video: vodec h.264, fps=same as source, variable framerate, constant quality rf:20
Audio: DTS-hd MA, dts-hd passthru
Subtitles: none
Chapters: create chapter markers
Advanced: reference frames=3, max b-frames=3, cabac=yes, 8x8=yes, weighted p-frames=yes, pyramidal b-frames=default, psychovisual=no, adaptive b-frames=optimal, adaptive direct mode=default(spatial), motion estimation=default(hexagon), subpixel me=default(7), partition type=default, trellis=default, deblocking=default, adaptive quantization=middle, psychovisual rate=middle, psychovisual trellis=far left
In the text box: b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50
Keg and I worked together to verify encoding with clips. As he mentioned his issues were minimal, if not unnoticeable, whereas I had pronouced stuttering all the way through on his clip and mine. It is obviously not the encoding. The only major difference I noticed in his setup was that he is using Win7 x86 while I am using x64. It could be the CrystalHD x64 drivers are buggy, but I do have the feeling that both the 32bit and 64bit drivers are probably still not 100% yet because even Keg has occasional drops. I will try and load Win7 x86 and see if it makes a difference. This will take me a few days, but I will get back to this thread with the results. If anyone experiencing this issue in a x64 setup and can switch to a x86 setup quick to verify, please jump in.
I tried the CrystalHD(bcm70015) with Eden Beta 2 on another one of my systems that already had 32bit Win7 on it (single core proc, GForce 6200, 2gb ram, 40gb hd) and there were no drops or jitters at all. It worked smooth, and this computer is much slower than my x64 computer that it won't work on. I am guessing the issue is either with the 64bit CrystalHD drivers, or with Eden using CrystalHD on Win7 64bit. Since the only computers I would want to use this on are 64bit it is still a problem for me, but I think going any further would require XBMC developers to help looking into it. CrystalP, I am still willing to do testing on my x64 computer if you have any ideas. If anyone is experiencing this issue on Win7 x86 (32bit) please post your specs.
Firstly thanks to the XBMC developers for all their work with this awesome piece of software. (My first post on this forum and I needed to acknowledge great work.)

Regarding the crystal hd bcm70015 and playback in windows 7 ultimate 32bit

This never worked for me till I found this thread. Updated my crystal hd drivers, which required me running the setup referred to earlier in the thread. Installing, rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, installing, rebooting. At this point my xbmc eden beta2 installation recognized my crystal hd card and I was able to play content with it. Before on all versions of xbmc and all previous crystal hd drivers it would never use the crystal hd card or would blank screen when playing hd content.

Unfortunately, though the content plays it stutters. Playing for a second then freezing for a fraction of a second then playing again.

I'm using a samsung nc10 (atom n270) with 2gig ram and bcm70015 in place of the wireless network card.

Please feel free to ask me anymore info. I am a programmer, and although I haven't compiled xbmc for windows I have for linux in the past and could with a little effort get up to speed on what's needed to compile and test any ideas people have.
FYI, there is an adapter you can buy to put the CrystalHD into a PCIe 1x slot or better: http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP1.html

I bought mine off of ebay for like $25 or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crystal HD Problems - Black Screen?0