artist.nfo not being picked up for singles
Using dharma RC1 I can't manage to get XBMC to pick up the local Artist.nfo file for artists that only have singles associated with them (and no albums). It just goes straight to the AllMusic scraper (which then fails to find the artist below incidentally). For artists which have albums associated with them, the artist.nfo file is read just fine. I prefer to use the local .nfo files for my media.

For example, I have the folder arranged as:

Code:
/.../.../Music/
              Human Life/
                  Artist.nfo
                  folder.jpg
                  fanart.jpg
                  Wherever We Are.mp3

However, when I do a "Scan item to library", "Update library", or even a "Refresh" from the artist info window, it doesn't even look at the Artist.nfo file. Am I doing something wrong? Cheers for any help.

Here is the pastebin log for a Refresh from the Artist Info window for an artist with only singles - this seems to ignore the Artist.nfo file.

And just for comparison here is the pastebin log for a Refresh from the Artist Info window for an artist with albums - this picks up the Artist.nfo file no problem and its structure looks like this:

Code:
/.../.../Music/
              Foo Fighters/
                  Artist.nfo
                  folder.jpg
                  fanart.jpg
                  Greatest Hits/
                      Album.nfo
                      folder.jpg
                      fanart.jpg
                      01 - xxx.mp3
                      02 - yyy.mp3
                      03 - zzz.mp3
Probably bad form to reply to my own post and all, but after some more testing the only way I can make it work is if the Artist.nfo file for the artist I'm refreshing is in the root of my Music folder (rather than under the artist folder itself). Like so:

Code:
/.../.../Music/
              [color=green]Artist.nfo[/color]              <--- this one gets picked up
              Human Life/
                  [color=red]Artist.nfo[/color]          <--- this one is ignored
                  folder.jpg
                  fanart.jpg
                  Wherever We Are.mp3

Which obviously isn't ideal! Again, it only appears to be a problem with artists without albums (in subfolders) as far as I can see. I'm beginning to question my sanity now. Anybody know anything I can do to fix this? Or anyone else able to reproduce it? Everything else about singles support is working great for me.
Very gentle bump Blush

Apologies for bad form (again...) by bumping my own post, but there's been some .nfo discussion lately and I thought someone who contributed to those threads might be able to help me. Cheers.
Your best hope is that Jonathan picks up on this.
For that I guess a trac tricket would be best.
http://trac.xbmc.org/
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
we expect an artist/album/files layout.
yes and that (maybe I should have read the original post Smile )
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
spiff Wrote:we expect an artist/album/files layout.

Thanks for the replies. So for music singles which obviously don't have an album, this isn't supported as-is? Would doing something like adding a dummy "singles" folder in the structure make it work? And then put all the singles for the artist under there, like this:

Code:
/.../.../Music/
              Human Life/
                  Artist.nfo          
                  folder.jpg
                  fanart.jpg
                  [color=red]Singles/[/color]
                      Wherever We Are.mp3

I'll give it a go later and see.
yup that would cut it. technically, what it does is this;

if an artist has several albums registered, we look in the deepest common path of all albums. if an artist only has a single album registered, we look in the parent folder of that album.
spiff Wrote:yup that would cut it. technically, what it does is this;

if an artist has several albums registered, we look in the deepest common path of all albums. if an artist only has a single album registered, we look in the parent folder of that album.

Ah, I see. And thats why the artist.nfo in the root of the "Music" folder in my 2nd post was getting picked up for the singles.

Problem solved then. Thanks a bunch spiff! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
artist.nfo not being picked up for singles0