• 45(current)
[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated)
Just found this while looking through the Openelec changelog:

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...1a44b746c8

I dont know what it exactly does but it looks interesting.
this is only for raspberry pi.
(2013-08-29, 10:26)teeedubb Wrote: Just found this while looking through the Openelec changelog:

This only allows all audio output to but HDMI and analogue, not audio type specific. And like stupid-boy stated, just for the RPi.
Just tested and works flawless.

Downloaded a copy of Eden just for this.

Eden now sends Audio from HDMI to TV and 5.1 DD or DTS directly to AVR through SPDIF from HTPC.

Now Frodo and its Audio Engine are pretty much Useless. How could they not make this simple?
The Passthrough device function in Audio Engine clearly doesn't do what its supposed to.

HDMI is Terrible and too many Devices now adays do not do Dual Audio. This solves the problem for people who do not have HDMI on their AVRs.
Thank you for doing this for us.
(2013-09-02, 08:20)OCDHD Wrote: Just tested and works flawless.

Eden now sends Audio from HDMI to TV and 5.1 DD or DTS directly to AVR through SPDIF from HTPC.

Now Frodo and its Audio Engine are pretty much Useless. How could they not make this simple?
The Passthrough device function in Audio Engine clearly doesn't do what its supposed to.

HDMI is Terrible and too many Devices now adays do not do Dual Audio. This solves the problem for people who do not have HDMI on their AVRs.

well if you think you can do it better i will expect a fix from you by tomorrow!
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-08-29, 12:47)stupid-boy Wrote: this is only for raspberry pi.

(2013-08-30, 21:30)Forage Wrote:
(2013-08-29, 10:26)teeedubb Wrote: Just found this while looking through the Openelec changelog:

This only allows all audio output to but HDMI and analogue, not audio type specific. And like stupid-boy stated, just for the RPi.

Sad
Is there a need for such a defensively structured comment?
How is it that in Eden, with the patch, this feature is working, yet the Passthrough is not sending anything to the SPDIF in Frodo?

I believe the patch pushes the DTS or DD sound stream twice, and syncs it, which is how its able to do it. Pressing info shows a1/a2 both working.
Dropping into Sound settings also shows output on both Nvidia HDMI and Realtek SPDIF.

This is really useful when one has an AVR that does not have HDMI, or the AVR needs to always be on in order to pass HDMI to TV.

If one wants to just watch a TV show at night without making too much noise, there is no need for the AVR to be on.

Anyway, the 2 seconds you spent writing that defensive comment, you could have spent fixing the problem or writing another one of your comments like

"Get an i7" or "Buy an AVR with HDMI that passes audio in Standby", I enjoy those comments of yours a little more, and while youre at it, you can write me a cheque so I can go buy an i7 and throw my Dual core in a land fill. Smile Best regards!

(2013-09-02, 08:25)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-09-02, 08:20)OCDHD Wrote: Just tested and works flawless.

well if you think you can do it better i will expect a fix from you by tomorrow!
Combining passthrough and PCM would require a major effort for a clean solution.
- dvdplayer would be required to handle two codecs simultaneously
- audio engine needs a second instance because a raw stream can't be mixed
- new methods for synchronizing two audio streams

Having HDMI one does not benefit from pass through so this effort would be only for SPDIF, an outdated interface. If you want dual audio with SPDIF, use PCM.
SPDIF is out dated? Really? Tell that to the rest of the world that deals in AUDIO. Let me start by making a bold statement. Audio itself is Analog. It is not Digital. Digitizing audio is a way to Manipulate it mainly to send it to More than 1 place without introducing degradation in its quality. That depends on the Internal processing D/A and A/D conversions, and the Electrical Signal. Digitizing audio makes it possible to manipulate it, before it is an electrical output. It is HDMI and HDCP that is the problem. It is the limitations imposed into the digital Manipulation (Software) of Audio by HDMI that is the problem.
SPDIF is still used by a majority of the population from musicians, sound engineers, producers, studio technicians, etc. Even modern AVRs almost always have SPDIF priority in Signal Processing when it comes to Audio only, and there is no [audio only] equipment in the world that offers HDMI as its primary output for Audio only. There is always a video signal present in HDMI even it is only sending Audio. If you look at many pro audio solutions, mixers, switchers, splitters and most pro audio equipment almost always provides SPDIF in Optical or Coaxial form along with Balanced and Unbalanced Analog inputs and outputs. SPDIF is just 1 form of Coaxial copper which is also used in your Ethernet. Is Ethernet also outdated? I know I am mixing terms here when it comes to Hardware, Standards, Specifications, and Method, but it is only to make it easier for more than 1 person to understand what I am saying.
HDMI is good on paper, it simplifies, but it should not block off an Audio specific output such as SPDIF once it is active. I can understand the copy protection BS when it comes to DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD formats but DTS Core should still function through SPDIF yet it is simply blocked off. I will give you an example here.
I have a WDTV Live Hub connected to the TV via HDMI. The TV's HDMI EDID tells the WDTV that it supports only 2 channel audio, so the stream is mixed down and sent to the TV. There is no Stream > Processing (2ch and or bitstream) > Output. The WDTV Live Hub should be using its Optical at this point to send 5.1 incase the user wants to send its audio to an External source (AVR) but it does not do that. Yet a Samsung bluray player I no longer use can do this exact function. Sending HDMI to TV, and Optical to AVR.
So the recommended solution is to connect the HDMI to an AVR, and the AVR to the TV. There are many things wrong with this situation.
1) You don't have an AVR with HDMI, You dont want to spend more to buy yet another AVR when what you have provides perfectly good quality Audio.
2) You have an AVR With HDMI but it needs to be turned on all the time for it to Pass audio to the TV. Same as,
3) You DONT have an AVR that provides Passthrough in Standby.
4) You want to watch a 2 Channel TV Show without wanting your AVR to be on, see situation 2.

Read again, HDMI and modern software in devices severely limits functionality that was practically standard less than a decade ago before this massive shift to HDMI based Audio/Video equipment. The first bluray Players offered audio from BOTH their HDMI and Optical/Coaxial outputs. So why is it suddenly so hard to do now?

Are you telling me that Audio Engine cannot give results I am getting from using this Patch with Eden? It's not perfect but it works. I think some people just don't want to admit that Audio Engine is buggy, and it is not complete. People use XBMC to break limits of what mass manufactured devices limit us to do. If it was not for this patch, I would have to go out and spend more money on a box that Splits HDMI audio and Video, and routes 1 HDMI to TV, and 1 to AVR, or I would have to buy an AVR that passes HDMI in Standby. How is spending more money, and having more boxes, more splitters, switchers, and cables a Solution?

The functionality that people are used to is no longer there, unless they want to seek solutions. Windows new audio stack leaves it upto the Application to decide what to do with Audio, and Audio Engine is not doing that. This is not just a problem in XBMC but many other softwares dealing with Audio and Video.

Thanks to the guy who made this patch, this limit is defeated even if it means I have to use Direct Sound mixer and not WASAPI.
[quote] Combining passthrough and PCM would require a major effort for a clean solution.

Who says you have to combine anything? Better solution is to Split the stream, Sync them, Downmix 1 to 2Ch, and Leave the Other alone. Very little over head if you ask me. DTS is around what 1500kbps? Add that to a Downmixed 2 Channel, and you dont have more than 1800kbps in Audio all together.

[quote]- dvdplayer would be required to handle two codecs simultaneously

They already do that! Always have been doing that. You are confusing codecs with containers.

[quote]- audio engine needs a second instance because a raw stream can't be mixed

No it does not need a "second instance". A raw stream can be multiplied into two sources and ouput simultaneously. BluRay players do that.

[quote]- new methods for synchronizing two audio streams

What new method? It's been done.

[quote]Having HDMI one does not benefit from pass through so this effort would be only for SPDIF, an outdated interface. If you want dual audio with SPDIF, use PCM.

See my post above.
what i read here it you are going to develop all the code needed as you know everything way better Smile
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
CAudioEngine m_audioEngine1, m_audioEngine2;
m_audioEngine1: This is my sink!
m_audioEngine2: Nooo i had it first.
m_audioEngine1: I was here before you.
m_audioEngine2: Not ture - You suck since Eden.
m_audioEngine1: I can do bitstream Audio
m_audioEngine2: Yeah, half the time and with a lot of hickups
m_audioEngine1: You are mean to me - I dont sync with you
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
m_grAEken: I am the only true god.
I want a Ferrari.
I don't want to pay for it.
Team XBMC won't give me one.
What a bunch of dicks....
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[PATCH] Dual Audio Output support for XBMC (Eden Updated)18