xbmcBoxes.com - the definitive source for xbmc hardware configs
One thing i have noticed over the past few months, is that even with fairly standardised hardware like nettops, new users can still struggle to find the best way to set them up. They are unclear on what to set at both the OS level and the appropriate options for their hardware in the XBMC configuration.

As more experienced users will know, all the information is out there - and can be found in the forums if you know what to search for. However that isn't always the best experience for new users and information can be a little conflicting at times and spread across a number of different threads.

In that past it would have been hard to put together a database of working configurations and setup instructions, however with the ever growing popularity of nettops, we finally have a selection of good standardised hardware. Keeping track of configuration and setup details for these kinds of boxes is now a very real possibility and should make new users first steps into XBMC considerably easier.

With this in mind I have put together http://www.xbmcboxes.com. xbmcBoxes will aim to be the definitive source for xbmc hardware configuration and setup information.

All posts are editable by registered users, so if you see a configuration that is incorrect or could be better, then you are free to edit it. The only way this site can work is by having users of the hardware updating and adding their configurations (as much as I would like to, I cannot buy every nettop!!).

For the moment I have added two fairly common devices, the Acer Revo 1600 and the Shuttle XS35GT. I hope to have their full configurations updated sometime today.

I'll also try and add the Foxconn NT-330i and AsRock 330 sometime this week to.

If anyone else would like to add their working configurations for these or any other hardware then please feel free to register!!!

Thanks and hope this can be of help to some people!!

As always constructive feedback is always appreciated.

http://www.xbmcboxes.com
What a fantastic idea!
Great idea!
I'd love to see Apple TV gen 1 with Crystal HD and ASRock ION 330's added (supporting remote and blu-ray drive). These are the boxes I currently have.
I've had a lot of problems with configs, modelines, audio settings etc. Would be nice to have one easy to read and access central source of information
bleze Wrote:Great idea!
I'd love to see Apple TV gen 1 with Crystal HD and ASRock ION 330's added (supporting remote and blu-ray drive). These are the boxes I currently have.
I've had a lot of problems with configs, modelines, audio settings etc. Would be nice to have one easy to read and access central source of information

I will get round to adding the ATV as I have one of these too. Nothing stopping you putting something up in the meantime....
good job and good idea prae5 !
really nice idea,

I am sure that a lot of people will use and also give feedback for your cool service.

btw, what about an index or databse overview, where all the devices would be listed (like a wiki-design)?
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
ubuntuf4n Wrote:really nice idea,

I am sure that a lot of people will use and also give feedback for your cool service.

btw, what about an index or databse overview, where all the devices would be listed (like a wiki-design)?

Thats on the list of things to do. I wanted to get some content in first and then work out the best way of showing the index.

I want to be able to filter on multiple options, just need to work out the best way to do it.
Great idea, I will add details for my Giada system sometime next week.

One of the bigger issues that I have found while trying to troubleshoot is the relevence of the articles.

Sometimes you will find an article about how to fix a HDMI sound issue by editing a .asound file, but this is only relevant to certain Linux distros or specific versions of XBMC.

It would be great if the site was organised into OS version, then XBMC version.

Some content would need to be duplicated if a fix for XBMC-Live-Dhama-Beta4 still applies to RC1.

It is nice to try and stay on the latest build and help report bugs, but when you can't get basic functionality working then your wife gets anoyed.

It might also be worth getting some statistics about how often an article is useful. EG - anonymous users should be able to give a score or at least a thumbs up, or a thumbs down on each article.

Stats would also be useful to find out what is the most popular nettop to run XBMC on, bigger userbase normally means better support.
bleze Wrote:Great idea!
Initial ASRock 330 guide up - please feel free to add to it.
http://www.xbmcboxes.com/2010/11/29/asro...ion-guide/

kortina Wrote:Great idea, I will add details for my Giada system sometime next week.
Thanks

kortina Wrote:One of the bigger issues that I have found while trying to troubleshoot is the relevence of the articles.

Sometimes you will find an article about how to fix a HDMI sound issue by editing a .asound file, but this is only relevant to certain Linux distros or specific versions of XBMC.

It would be great if the site was organised into OS version, then XBMC version.

Some content would need to be duplicated if a fix for XBMC-Live-Dhama-Beta4 still applies to RC1.
I think I have this covered. For each device I have a section for all of the main platforms people run xbmc on, XBMC Appliance/Openelec.tv, XBMCLive, XBMCbuntu, Ubuntu, Windows 7/Vista and Windows XP. Specific setup and config details should go in the appropriate section.

kortina Wrote:It is nice to try and stay on the latest build and help report bugs, but when you can't get basic functionality working then your wife gets anoyed.

It might also be worth getting some statistics about how often an article is useful. EG - anonymous users should be able to give a score or at least a thumbs up, or a thumbs down on each article.

Stats would also be useful to find out what is the most popular nettop to run XBMC on, bigger userbase normally means better support.
I have added stats functionality for both registered and anonymous users. You can rate the article as a whole and also each sub section. For example, just because box xxx works well with Windows 7 doesn't mean it works well under XBMCLive. Hopefully this should give more granular stats and help people not only pick the best box, but also the most appropriate distribution for xbmc on that particular box.
ubuntuf4n Wrote:really nice idea,

I've added a site index - all new guides will be added to it automatically. You can get to this from all pages using the "All Guides Index" link at the top of the page.

http://www.xbmcboxes.com/guides/
Thank you for this! I will do my best to help this initiative!!!

Thanks so much for this resource! I wish it was around when I purchased a nettop a few months ago. This beats subscribing to several threads just to piece together a process.

I'll see what I can do about adding information about the Foxconn 330i.
great idea and love the site. Great job!
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
looking good so far but I dont like that its formatted like a blog
Great site, thanks a lot for this. Keep it up, I was looking for something like this for a while.

A blog to announce new boxes is great, but for the content itself a wiki might be the better choice? Also others could contribute. Just my 2 cents.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcBoxes.com - the definitive source for xbmc hardware configs0