Profiles and MySQL Database - Compatible?
Hi!

I am using XBMC with a mySQL database on my home server. I like this a lot and think it is one of the coolest things (that I can start a movie in one room and finish it anywhere just picking up where I left off).

However, I also wanted to be able to create a kids profile and put Rater R movies and Rated MA TV shows in a separate folder (that wouldn't be accessible by the kids profile). My questions revolves around doing this with the mySQL database. Can I run two profiles with different sources using the mySQL database?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I'm trying to do something similar. I have a folder called Movies on the NAS and one called Kids Movies. I have 3 profiles on each instance of XBMC:

Master (Movies as a source)
Guest (Movies as a source)
Kids (Kids Movies as a source)

Have you been able to solve it ? I started playing with it yesterday (it was late and rushed it) but it did not seem straightforward...
I'm trying to build a similar setup...

Home server in garage hosting all media and MySQL DB.
PC in lounge able to show media in both parents and kids profiles.
PC in family room able to show media in kids profile.
PC in study for testing, adding media info with Ember, etc.

I have the MySQL 5.5 DB setup for both Music and Video. I've upgraded all the clients to 10.0 and pointed them to the central DB using the advancedsettings.xml. This all works great with a single, default profile.

However, if I add a second profile and populate it with kids movies, they start appearing in the main profile movies section. Furthermore, removing the source from the kids profile didn't remove the entries from the default profile (I ended up using XBNE to clean the DB directly).

Any clues on how to get this setup working would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I see there's a thread here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85654 that mentions the profile issue, but no solution.

Having read the above, I'm guessing that I need to create an additional DB for the kids movies, create a new advancedsettings.xml and place it in the kids profile directory under AppData. Fingers crossed!

Edit 2: Yep, it works. I created another DB in MySQL called 'xbmc_kids_video', created an advancedsettings.xml in the kids profile directory with the new DB as the video DB (I left the music one shared). This appears to work fine.
Cool I created another db like you have mentionned and it did work. It's strange because the schema for the database contains a profile id field so we should not have to create a seperate db...

There are still some stuff not working great though. For example, I had to create the sources.xml by hand. If I log in to the kid's profile and go to videos I see a black screen and can't add a source. Once I create the sources.xml file, it works.
I too had the black screen, but I managed to get back to the root of the menu and add the sources in the GUI. However, I've noticed that some films are still popping up in the wrong profile, despite running completely separate DBs.

I've also setup a share on my home server for thumbnails and symlinked the default profile Thumbnail and kids profile Thumbnail folders to it (you need to keep these separate, the filenames are not unique). Performance is fine on my wired Gb network.

I'm pretty certain you could store lots of the other config files (e.g. Sources.xml) centrally and also create symlinks for these on each PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Profiles and MySQL Database - Compatible?0