RSS Feed reader? (Wishful Thinking?)
This may be more appropriate in the scripting/addons... but here goes.

Is it (would it be possible) to integrate separate rss feeds into a skin?

For instance:
On the movies page, integrate an rss feed (http://www1.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/rss/index.jsp for giggles) into the skin itself. Displaying headlines to the user, and allowing them to be clicked on and expanding into a sub-window for the full article?

In theory I'm sure its possible, but am I totally dreaming out of the box here?

The mockup of what I'm thinking...
Check this thread out.

Grajen is developing such a plugin now.
And I'm working slowly on allowing a skinner to display a list from any directory as if it where static items. i.e. if you can make a plugin to create a list for you you'll be able to display it. Just a more general way to do stuff like recently added script in a sense.

And in this case the its just RSS which already is a directory so should be doable for sure, e.g. just point the list to rss://someurl.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Awesomeness all around, thanks guys. I actually just found a nice rss from trailer freaks which indexes the latest movie trailers. Would be a pretty nice jumping off point to this as well.

I think there are a lot of more "connected" ways of using dynamic online information that could really push the XBMC interface to a new level.
I have wanted this feature for a while now, but thought it was to random or insignificant for anyone else to be interested in. Glad to see it in use .Your skin started amazing in appearance and is equally amazing in features.

BIG CHEERS!
bridgman Wrote:I have wanted this feature for a while now, but thought it was to random or insignificant for anyone else to be interested in. Glad to see it in use .Your skin started amazing in appearance and is equally amazing in features.

BIG CHEERS!

Don't cheer too loudly yet, we haven't found anyone who can actually implement it yet Smile

I'm guessing from some of topfs2 comments, he is a way off from implementing his plan - and I'm not clear on the status of Grajen's addon.
blacklist Wrote:and I'm not clear on the status of Grajen's addon.

I have been using Grajen's addon to add a LATEST NEWS page in my modest skin.Tried every way I could think of with frustration. Finally achieved some success by adding a duplicate "rss. xml "in the skins home folder and modifying it. The same as the existing "script-RSS_Editor-rssEditor.xml" I have a large list of RSS feeds so it is a bit slow but it works. Even pics sometimes.
bridgman: sorry about Your frustration, this is my first XBMC script and it's status is still "work in progress", I still modify entire script a lot and therefore I'm not providing any "documentation" because it would eat a lot of my time everytime I change something. My plan is to release it with documentation for skinners and modders when dharma will be annouced as stable.
grajen3 Wrote:bridgman: sorry about Your frustration, this is my first XBMC script and it's status is still "work in progress", I still modify entire script a lot and therefore I'm not providing any "documentation" because it would eat a lot of my time everytime I change something. My plan is to release it with documentation for skinners and modders when dharma will be annouced as stable.

The frustration came from my lack of skills. I think your script is working great. Thank you for sharing. You do great work. Sorry if you got the idea I was frustrated with the script. Not the case at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RSS Feed reader? (Wishful Thinking?)0