Win 7 XBMC Dharma RC1 No AC3 when using HDMI Audio [debug log posted at #9]
By the way, I've downloaded all the Dharma betas and nightlies I found still posted on the site, so I'll check them out in order, and see if this sound issue is OK in any of them, when I get around to it.

As for source code, I find the current release source, but where do I find the sources for any earlier releases? And do you have any instructions as to how to go ahead and compile in Windows, what I need etc.? I have programmed earlier in life, but it's been so long I don't have any compilers lying around any longer. Wink As such, I do hope this issue can be figured out without it coming to me having to learn to program a new language, buy new compilers and stuff. Because it's not worth THAT much to me. Wink
Sad 
Hi All.

Cartman, I hear your frustration. Even though XBMC is free and pretty much a labour of love for the devs, it's still very frustrating to have something like this happen. Confused

The only other example I have seen of things like this occurs when there is an EDID issue. It's supposedly fixed in later drivers for the 5xxx cards but I think I may look into it over Christmas. Otherwise I am stumped at the moment. I've tried Beta 2, 3, RC1 and RC2 with the same problem. I'll try Bet 1 tonight and go from there. Fortunately, there is a guide here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ource_code to compile XBMC. I'm a software engineer and work with all of the prerequisites on a daily basis - so I should be able to get it compiled.

CrystalP - out of curiosity, you say you can't get it repro'd. What are you testing it on? Are you using an ATI 5xxx card? What receiver do you have?
The HOW-TO-BUILD guide is up to date and if you run into problems ask for help in the development section of the forum.

To get older versions of the source code, check out the code with TortoiseSVN, and then use the "Update to revision" function to go to a specific revision in the past.

There have been quite a few changes since 9.11 so dropping some 9.11 code in a recent version is not likely to work. Real bugs were also fixed, which would be reintroduced. I don't think the issue is in the code dealing directly with the device anyway. Passthrough of AC3 or DTS doesn't make a difference to that code, and it also happens with both DS and WASAPI.

As far as repro, I don't have an ATI 5xxx or an hdmi receiver, and no dev has that config either, as far as I know.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
CrystalP Wrote:The HOW-TO-BUILD guide is up to date and if you run into problems ask for help in the development section of the forum.

To get older versions of the source code, check out the code with TortoiseSVN, and then use the "Update to revision" function to go to a specific revision in the past.

There have been quite a few changes since 9.11 so dropping some 9.11 code in a recent version is not likely to work. Real bugs were also fixed, which would be reintroduced. I don't think the issue is in the code dealing directly with the device anyway. Passthrough of AC3 or DTS doesn't make a difference to that code, and it also happens with both DS and WASAPI.

As far as repro, I don't have an ATI 5xxx or an hdmi receiver, and no dev has that config either, as far as I know.
Gnif has both (donated by members as far as I'm aware) to develop the audio branch. Maybe he could have a look. Wink
hdmi receiver yes, ATI maybe, Windows definitely not...
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
LOL - damn
I'm surprised. I would have thought that bitstreaming over HDMI to a receiver (even on windows) is pretty standard kit these days - more so if you are an enthusiast.

I've verified that it isn't an ATI / driver related issue. I took some extra time last night and downloaded the dx version of XBMC to an NVIDIA equipped Win 7 laptop with an HDMI port. I also loaded MPC-HC and ffdshow. MPC(using ffdshow) and the XBMC DSPlayer (using ffdshow) both bitstreamed AC3 over HDMI. The XBMC internal player did not.

At the moment, I'm thinking that the internal XBMC player does not send through a required attribute in the bistream and consequently my surround processor doesn't know what the incoming bistream is. I don't have a background in AV development, so I'm probably not using the right words to describe this. My processor uses the cirrus logic chipset - so if I'm right then this problem would occur for anyone using a processor / receiver with the same chipset.
That's quite likely. It's possible that DTS is affected the same way, but the receiver is a bit more tolerant.
Can you try what happens with the Live CD? Won't mess with your hard drive.
CrystalP Wrote:Can you try what happens with the Live CD? Won't mess with your hard drive.

Yup, I've now done some testing with the Live CD. With the default audio settings I didn't get any audio at all, in any mode. After fiddling around with the audio settings for about 15 minutes I finally got DTS work in passthrough mode - and as you know, DTS has always worked in Windows too. But even when I got the settings to work with DTS, there was still no audio with Dolby Digital.

I might add, as I guess it's important, that at the beginning, with the default settings when I didn't get any sort of audio at all, I'd get a message in the bottom of the screen that XBMC failed to initialize audio device. When I got the DTS passthrough to work that message disappeared, and it didn't show up when playing Dolby Digital material either, even though there was no audio.

I can also add that after I got the DTS passthrough to work I still got the "failed to initialize audio device" when trying to switch to analog audio. In other words, I NEVER got analog audio to work with the Live CD, with ANY audio setting. But that's not really that important, I guess, it was the passthrough we wanted to check, right? Still, I wanted to mention it. Wink

In conclusion; the problem is as real in Ubuntu (which the Live CD runs) as it is in Windows. Perhaps even more so, since I never even got analog audio to work...

Sidenote: the ATI driver on the Live CD also had problems with the video part of the card, showing the XBMC window in a underscanned window with black borders around the whole screen.
OK, thanks. Now we know it's not Windows specific.
I think I've got the same issue, but the circumstances are slightly different. Dharma RC1 worked fine, but RC2 and release 10 seem to have broken audio for anything other than DTS.

I'm running:
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel C2D 6300, 2GB RAM, Abit AB9 MB
ATI 5670 graphics
Onboard network and several TB of drives. No onboard audio.

Audio (and video switching) provided via HDMI to a Denon 590 amp (5.1)

I'm getting no audio for various beeps and tones in the XBMC interface, and nothing for playing MP3s. Movies / TV shows work fine, all of which are in DD/DTS.

Debug log posted here. I fired up XBMC, turned on debug logging, played a movie for a few minutes to capture when it works right, then played an MP3 for a minute to log something not working right.

I'm a new XBMC user, and I've been extremely happy with the software... even the WAF is off the scale (this current bug notwithstanding.) Even contributed, as XBMC is worth a lot more than many commercial products. I can't state for certain that it started failing at RC2 and not some automatic Windows update around that time, as I thought the loss of system sounds was some setting I'd messed up and not a general sound issue until I tried playing an MP3 playlist just yesterday with a slideshow. I tried upgrading RC2 to release 10, but no change.

Can RC1 be reinstalled over Dharma 10 to test reversion?
NervousEnergy Wrote:Can RC1 be reinstalled over Dharma 10 to test reversion?

If RC1 can't be installed over the current release you can instead go into Control Panel on your computer and find the (Add/Remove) Programs and Features (has different names in different versions of Windows, but the 'Programs' part is there in all) there. There you should find a list of all the programs on your computer in alphabetical order. Scroll down to XBMC, click on it and follow the steps to uninstall it. When/if prompted if you want to also remove your user settings click no. The program is then removed, but your settings are still intact. So you can then install RC1 again, without losing any of your settings.
Happy New Year!

I'm hoping this year will bring a new XBMC version that actually works with our graphics/audio cards...

CrystalP: I've now done the testing I said I would do, with the Dharma nightlies and betas that I still found on the download page. In other words, I've tried the following builds: 33035, 33040, 33078, 33122, 33149, 33209, 33240, 33300, 33324, 33778, 34731 and 35068, in addition to the RC's that I've tried previously.

Based on the testing I can report that Dolby Digital and AC3 sound didn't work in ANY of these versions. Whatever happened with DD playback between version 9.11 and 10 thus must have happened before build 33035. In all versions DTS playback worked out of the box, as did analog audio.

As we discovered earlier, when I tried the Live CD, the problem is not Windows specific. So I assume then that I won't have to start compiling earlier versions? You mentioned earlier that one of the devs might have a ATI HD 5xxx card lying around, as well as a HDMI capable receiver. If he does, can you ask him to try it with the live CD, and then take it from there?
Hi Cartman. Happy new year to you and everyone else as well. I'd also like to add that I have submitted an official bug report - http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/10981

Please let me know if the description there is not accurate for your situation as well or feel free to add comments etc. Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win 7 XBMC Dharma RC1 No AC3 when using HDMI Audio [debug log posted at #9]0