XBMC for Windows
I currently have a set-up of XBMC Live on my Acer Revo. I'm thinking of installing windows 7 and replacing XBMC Live with the windows version - I'd like to connect maybe an external blu ray player, slingbox & possible a DVB TV Tuner.

Would I still get the same performance from the Windows 7 version to my current set-up of XBMC Live.
depending on your specs as long as it meets the needs of windows you should be fine.....if i have read right around here then going with windows 7 would allow the gpu to handle the work like it does in Live and you should be all good....prob a little less user friendly on other users depending on their windows knowledge and depending on how you set XBMC to run (auto load on boot...etc)
WE ALL WE GOT
I use Win7 on a revo 3610 with 2GB of memory and it runs just fine.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I use Win7 on a revo 3610 with 2GB of memory and it runs just fine.

JR

Have you tried slingbox ?
stepea Wrote:Have you tried slingbox ?

No.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I use Win7 on a revo 3610 with 2GB of memory and it runs just fine.

JR
I have the same machine but I have to use MPC to handle video playback as the xbmc video player doesn't support the ION gpu acceleration afaik and thus runs pretty shittily, especially for hd mkvs. I am using XBMC 9.11 as that is the latest official releast and to be honest haven't really been following the threads on dharma so I don't know if it supports the chipset. Are you using XBMC to play video? If so, what is your xmbc setup?
stepea Wrote:Have you tried slingbox ?
I installed it on my Revo and it worked just fine.
domenci Wrote:I have the same machine but I have to use MPC to handle video playback as the xbmc video player doesn't support the ION gpu acceleration afaik and thus runs pretty shittily, especially for hd mkvs. I am using XBMC 9.11 as that is the latest official releast and to be honest haven't really been following the threads on dharma so I don't know if it supports the chipset. Are you using XBMC to play video? If so, what is your XBMC setup?

Dharma allows GPU acceleration in Windows 7 and Vista and, therefore, runs pretty well these days.
domenci Wrote:I have the same machine but I have to use MPC to handle video playback as the xbmc video player doesn't support the ION gpu acceleration afaik and thus runs pretty shittily, especially for hd mkvs. I am using XBMC 9.11 as that is the latest official releast and to be honest haven't really been following the threads on dharma so I don't know if it supports the chipset. Are you using XBMC to play video? If so, what is your XBMC setup?

@domenci,

Dharma fully supports DXVA2 hardware acceleration under Vista and Win7.

It's very stable.

Install it and try it out...

-Wes
Yep I tried live on my zotac id-11 and what a PITA that is if your not linux savy. Ditched it and went with Win7 and Dharma Beta 4 and then RC1 and have never looked back!
Windows is fine, nothing wrong with it. In fact with the new MCE remote pluggin in Dharma we don't have to mess with eventghost which is great.

But be warned, the Slingbox app eats a Atom CPU for breakfast...

Do you know if there's a Dharma remote plugin for the original xbox remote?

If not, could someone point me to the source code for the MCE plugin?

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:Do you know if there's a Dharma remote plugin for the original xbox remote?
If not, could someone point me to the source code for the MCE plugin?

Hi Wes, the MCERemote plugin is just an easy way to edit the registry config for the Microsoft remote. It allows you to configure the remote to send emulated keypresses that XBMC can handle. It isn't an interface for the MS remote.

Sadly the driver for the original XBox remote doesn't allow you to configure the button actions, so you're stuck with using some form of helper software like Eventghost or IR Server Suite. If it's of any interest, the XBox 360 remote does use the same driver as the standard MS remote so the MCERemote plugin can configure it for XBMC.

If you're still interested, the MCERemote addon, like all add-ons, is written in Python so the source code is included. Look in %appdata%\xbmc\addons\plugin.program.mceremote.

JR
poofyhairguy Wrote:Windows is fine, nothing wrong with it. In fact with the new MCE remote pluggin in Dharma we don't have to mess with eventghost which is great.

But be warned, the Slingbox app eats a Atom CPU for breakfast...

but does it still work fine on the Revo ? I'm considering buying one to increase what the Revo can do.
natethomas Wrote:Dharma allows GPU acceleration in Windows 7 and Vista and, therefore, runs pretty well these days.

waldo22 Wrote:@domenci,

Dharma fully supports DXVA2 hardware acceleration under Vista and Win7.

It's very stable.

Install it and try it out...

-Wes
Sweet, colour me impressed! I just installed it and it's played back everything quite nicely (once I enabled the acceleration option). I also enjoy the fact that even though I installed it to a new directory I didn't have to set up my menus again.

One slight issue though, I enabled the option for frame rate switching on the display and while my tv did change to 24p the video played like stop motion... is this just inherent in 60Hz displays or could this be a bug?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC for Windows0