AC3 (re)encode on Dharma RC1 ?
Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, have searched.

Running XBMC Live Dharma RC1 on a acer revo r3610. Video goes over hdmi, audio via spdif to a DTS / DD amp.

DTS and DD pass through works and has always worked fine.

On older versions of XBMC (forget exactly which) when trying to play a eac3 track from a hddvd rip as expected it didn't work, just some of the effects channels played.

No I'm using RC1 (and formerly Beta 4) I've noted the following.

->TrueHD audio track from mkv bluray rip seems to play fine - ac3 core has been stripped. XBMC reports as TrueHD with high bitrate as expected, amp reports as DD. As best as I can tell the track is correct, i.e. as per the ac3 track for said bluray.

->eac3 tracks from mkv hddvd rips also play fine, as per the truehd track. The same track which had failed before now plays. Again as best as I can tell it is playing correctly.

->DTS core from DTSMA track plays fine. As expected I assume.

Have seen a couple of threads referring to ac3 encode in dharma, although not specifics as to whether it would re-encode TrueHD and eac3 on the fly. If this is what is happening then very cool Laugh If not any ideas what I'm seeing (or rather hearing) here?

Anyway hopefully someone can clear up my understanding of this matter. Can of course supply logs and further details if relevant.
Assume possibly related to this ticket > http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8726
behavior also verified by playing a truehd trailer.

Any ideas as to whether truehd is being re-encoded on the fly.
rutteger, you are correct, TrueHD is getting re-encoded to AC3 on the fly, this is an issue and I am working to correct this in the AE branch.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif Wrote:rutteger, you are correct, TrueHD is getting re-encoded to AC3 on the fly, this is an issue and I am working to correct this in the AE branch.

So not as intended then? Shame, this issue / feature was perfect for me.

Allowed me just to leave the truehd / eac3 soundtracks on HD/blu rips which would then work with my DD capable amp over spdif.

Any chance this will be (or could be) left in as a selectable feature once the AE branch is merged into the trunk?
maybe it's reencoding automagically when sound output is set to iec958?

anyway, devs, it's not a bug, please leave this feature!
some of us only have spdif receivers :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AC3 (re)encode on Dharma RC1 ?0