Movies stopping and taking me back to the menu
Exclamation 
Hello all,
I'm fairly new to XBMC and have been tweaking it for awhile to get it just the way I want it with the latest stable 9.11 Live and Rapier skin running off my Acer AspireRevo 3610.

I've just recently been enjoying it now going thru entire movies. I've noticed that some movies would just quit on me and would take me back to the XBMC library which is really annoying since I would have to select the movie again and resume, usually needing to fast forward over the part that stopped.

All my movies are in mkv format. I've tried searching here, but can't find anyone with the same issues.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Afternoon

I've had this happen to me a few times but I pinned it down to my storage server being busy.

My front end is a revo 3610 with 9.11 installed along with mythtv frontend (Ubuntu 9.10)

I have an Ubuntu machine (9.10 again) running in the office with 3 1 TB USB drives and a 250GB internal / 100GB OS drive. That runs

* Ubuntu
* MythTV Backend (DVB-S and DVB-T)
* Squeezebox server
* Samba (general NAS duties)
* NFS connection to shares for the Revo frontend (my drives are mapped on the revo as local shares, e.g. /media/library1, /media/library2 etc)

When we were watching a few movies (MKV H264 AC3 5.1 DVD encodes via handbrake) it would stop as if it hit the end of the movie. Selecting it again would allow a resume.

Now I think the box was busy since it was recording 2 1080 HD streams via mythtv and serving music via squeezecenter.

I've since rejigged the settings and added another network card with its own fixed address that the squeezeboxes (network music players) can use exclusively for streaming rather than overwhelming the 10/100 network card that is in use for the xbmc stream.

At some point I'll rejig the network to be gigabit (cabling is in place but I'd need to replace 3 switches and 2 network cards to do that and funds are low)

Some questions for you to look into

* You say your files are MKV, thats the container, whats the format H264 / AC3 5.1? - If you're not sure play the stream in XBMC and hit i and check what it says.

* Whats the bitrate? Press O when the movie is streaming and check what the video rate is. Not likely to be an issue with standard def but HD - especially over low speed powerline or wifi - can be tricky

* Where are the file stored? Are they on the machine itself, an external USB drive or a NAS

* How is your network (if applicable) wired? Are there any stress points such as wifi, an 85mbps powerline adapter or a non-switched hub?

Any more help I can offer please shout.

EDIT:
And the perenial point. Always check your xbmc log first. On linux thats in <user folder e.g. /home/edz> /.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log - check the wiki for more info on log checking in live since I'm not sure where it lives since I dont use it. If the devs need to investigate an issue (or us the general unwashed Wink ) can help we'll need a log pastebin to check to see whats going on under the hood.

Cheers
Edz
Thanks for the quick reply edz2k9,
To answer your questions (answered in bold)

* You say your files are MKV, thats the container, whats the format H264 / AC3 5.1? - If you're not sure play the stream in XBMC and hit i and check what it says.
The format from the latest movie that this issue came up is H.264 MPEG-4 AVC 720p

* Whats the bitrate? Press O when the movie is streaming and check what the video rate is. Not likely to be an issue with standard def but HD - especially over low speed powerline or wifi - can be tricky
This is in the second line correct?? Here is everything in the second line for me.
D(Video:H264, YUV420P, 1280x720) P(VQ:10%, DC:FF-H264_VDPAU,MB/S:4.10, DROP:42, PC:24)

* Where are the file stored? Are they on the machine itself, an external USB drive or a NAS
The files are on an external HDD connected to my gigabit router via USB (Asus NT-r16) and being shared to my Acer Revo via Samba. The HDD is shared on my network so I can easily upload videos, music, etc etc.

* How is your network (if applicable) wired? Are there any stress points such as wifi, an 85mbps powerline adapter or a non-switched hub?
The Revo is hard wired directly into the router, USB HDD is also hard wired into the router via USB.

I also wanted to add that the Revo is a just dedicated "play back" machine, no MythTV, or anything crazy. While playing the movies, nothing else was being uploaded/downloaded to the HDD.

Here is the log file from when the movie was initially opened, to movie end. As you can see, I had to open the movie file a few times because of this error
http://pastie.org/1330570

Thanks again for your help!

UPDATE: I'm currently trying this fix found here http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=502...stcount=32
UPDATE 2: Well... that fix didn't seem to help my problem. I'm still experiencing the same problem. Hoping that Dharma will fix this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies stopping and taking me back to the menu0