Movie Set Manager feature?
Question 
One of the things that bugs me about XBMC is the movie sets. They are a great little feature that currently can not be access from within XBMC.

You have to export you library to separate files, manually edit the nfos, remove the films from your library and then update them... Not a horrible process but for a system that pride itself on being intuitive and easy its not great.

So I have decided to try and fix it.

What I hope to do is write a plugin that will allow the user to create/edit/delete movie sets from within the xbmc ui.

I hope to be able to directly alter the database using the JSON RPC.

But this will be my first real bit of python/xbmc coding so this thread is likely to get filled with stupid questions (so please take pity on me).

My first question is: Is it even possible to do what I want to do?

I have gone over the JSON and Database pages of the wiki and I don't see any references to the moiveset tag and the JSON RPC seems to only cover controlling the players rather than appending the database. But I will check out XWMM source and see how they do it.
it's possible, but not yet through json. xwmm use the deprecated http-api. however, if you speak c++, the time is much better invested in adding the support to the core. it's not that we don't want it, just that it hasn't been a priority.
I was still reading stuff as I was writing the thread and yes I just came to the realisation that XWMM uses HTTP-API.

My c++ is far better than my python (but neither are very good), although I wouldn't know where to start with making a patch.

I mean where would I even put it? In the right click menu of the movie library?
yes, i'd envision two entries 'add to movie set', 'remove from movie set'.

add to movie set would be a select dialog with the button enabled ('add new movie set'). entries in the list would be the available sets.

likewise, remove from movie set would be a select dialog with the button disabled and entries being the sets a movie is in.
Hmmm... maybe I could try it (although not promising anything).

Where are the menu files?
video library is in GUIWindowVideoNav.cpp, the dialog is in GUIDialogSelect.cpp.
I read over the code last night and I think its pretty safe to say that making a patch is well over my head.

I might be able to pull of a plugin, so I will look at initially using the HTTP API (until JSON works)
I have started on this (using HTTP API) but I am currently struggling to create and control windows in python.

I have read most of the stuff on wiki, but some of that dates back to when the 'XB' in XBMC meant something... So they aren't much use.

My idea is:

When you open the plugin you are faced with a list of all the existing sets, then at the bottom of the window are and 'Add Set', 'Edit set' and 'Delete set' buttons.

The add button opens a typing box (to name the set) and then opens the current films in the library which can be added to the set.

The edit button shows a list of all the films in the set you decided to edit, with the option to add or delete films from the set.

The delete button deletes the set (returning all the films to the library as standalone film).

I can do the database stuff (I think) but the creating the windows is proving tricky. Is there any decent guide or well annotated examples out there?
Any progress
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I believe there is an existing secript over at the xbmc passion repository that does this. (Although I can't seem to find it at them moment, I'm not at home).

You may be able to use that as a base, or it may already contain the functionality you are looking for.

Blacklist

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie Set Manager feature?0