Mount Network Shares using FSTAB
boykster Wrote:Excellent! Glad that worked.

Awesome. I should have mentioned you needed to install smbfs like stated. I was on my way to bed when I posted.
Question 
I'm just wondering.
is there any benefits mounting a share via fstab, rather than adding a location to the movie, music ect via xbmc?

- Christian
DeathscytheDK Wrote:I'm just wondering.
is there any benefits mounting a share via fstab, rather than adding a location to the movie, music ect via xbmc?

- Christian

If you run XBMC only and don't care about desktop then it probably does not matter. But if you want to do some operations on your shares without XBMC then it is pretty useful.
uomiarz Wrote:If you run XBMC only and don't care about desktop then it probably does not matter. But if you want to do some operations on your shares without XBMC then it is pretty useful.

I was thinking purely of a XBMC live box Big Grin
Mines XBMC Live, but I have Sickbeard installed to it and need SB to access the drive. Doing it through XBMC's Share's does not work. SB needs a location to put file. The reason I'm mounting my drives with FStab.
DejaVu77 has a good point - if you run any other apps/services on your machine that needs access to the resource, then you should mount the share using FSTAB (or other mount) vs using XBMC to access the resource.

In my case, I'm just a linux guy and setting up NFS/SMB shares thru FSTAB is just what I'm used to doing...
Just got to bring this back up. Although can now access the drives and everything is added to my library, it seems as though XBMC does not have Write access to these network drives. I found this out by using the Logo script.

It fails when trying to write a new file to the drives.

Any ideas? I have added the Username and Password for my windows user in FSTAB, but it still does not want to play ball. Sad
Hmm....that's a tough one - so many variables. For user, you might want to use <computername>\<user> instead of just <user>. Usually write permissions are brokered by the sharing computer, not the computer connecting. This is an NTFS drive too, isn't it.

I'll noodle over it....
All 5 drives are NTFS with Everyone Permissions with Full Control.

My User & Pass is in the FSTAB and has Read access only by the looks. I also tried adding 'rw' to the line, but still does not work.

I'll try and delete a file now in XBMC and see what happens...

--EDIT--
Yep, deleting fails...
have you created a local directory where the remote shares mount to.

I have mounted stuff via fstab but have to create local folders where those remote shares mount to abd the local folders have read/write permissions, so I can do whatever.

For NFS
Code:
192.168.x.x:/mnt/HD_b2/TV_SERIES /media/TV_SERIES nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

For SMB

Code:
//<serverhostname/ip>/<sharename> /mnt/<foldername> smbfs rw,noperm,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,username=<username>,password=<password>    0    0
You should figure out the rest, though why bother doing all this in first place when smb is naf.. idk why XBMC doest go and support NFS once and for all.

if you cant figure it out now idk...
X3lectric Wrote:
Code:
//<serverhostname/ip>/<sharename> /mnt/<foldername> smbfs rw,noperm,file_mode=0664,dir_mode=0775,username=<username>,password=<password>    0    0

The missing settings! Worked a charm! Thank you loads. Now have full access across the network, this needs to be explained better in the Wiki methinks! Nod
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
well I have my plate full... why dont you write a proper how to on the wiki?
Try to change smbfs to cifs
i use cifs with smbfs - works like a charm. as stated above, make sure the mounting folder exists and has access rights, and also make sure the mounted computer folder (ie the one you're trying to bring into the current OS) has permissions set properly
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

Seems as though I may have messed up somehow.
Permissions are screwed again.

My Fstab is setup using the line show in this thread. The drives are mounted, but the permissions are all messed up. Sickbeard, CouchPotato cannot write to the drives and moving things using Windows complains about Network Access Denied.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mount Network Shares using FSTAB0