Connecting between XBMC's
I got XBMC installed on my computer, (windows vista 32bit) where i have a hard drive. The hard drive is one TB filled with movies. I recently bought a Asrock ION 330, home theater pc. I located this in my living room at my television and installed windows 7 with XBMC. I was hoping i could connect these two XBMC's and watch the movies thats on the hard drive connected to my computer over the internet. Is this possible? and if so how? I believe i am very close, considering i can connect to my pc or the pc's XBMC through the home theater pc in my living room but cant find any movies, pictures or musics.
Please help out, a step by step guide would be perfect!

-Thank you
Google "Windows file sharing." There should be a bunch of tutorials.

Basically you want to share the files on your computer with the hard drive and then mount them on the HTPC. Assuming your machines are already networked (wired is highly recommended for HD streaming) you should be good to go. They're networked if they are both connected to your router (it's likely they are). You won't be going over the internet, just your local area network.
@dan1son
I've managed to share the folder ;M (which is the hard drive), but i am not sure what you ment with mounting it on my my home theatre pc. Because even tho it is shared and both is connected with wire, i still cant find the harddrive ;M
@dan1son
I've managed to share the folder ;M (which is the hard drive), but i am not sure what you ment with mounting it on my my home theatre pc. Because even tho it is shared and both is connected with wire, i still cant find the harddrive ;M
No real need to mount anything. If you've shared the folder, simply go to the htpc, click "add source," search for 'smb,' click it, then search for your serving computer, click it, then add the folder like you would normally.
I'm truuly sorry guys, i think im the am the one with totally lack of skillz at computers and so on.. but i still wont make it work, I located the SMB, and entered ( all tho it buggs and i have to wait for about 2-5 minutes before i get in everytime, but i cant find any of my computers except the HTPC itself.
If im adding a source through uPnP i can find all my computers, and also the XBMC on the computers, but no files in the maps that are showen.
I also went into my advanced windows firewall setting, allowed XBMC outbound and inbound, Went to the harddrive on my computer, pressed properties, Advanced sharing settings and pressed " share this folder".
still no luck
-Any futher ideas?
from windows explorer or internet explorer in address bar type

\\<windows vista (32big) computer name>\<shared foldername>

example:

\\myserver\movies

This could give you a clue if your folder sharing is setup correctly
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...files&aq=f

Just watch a couple of those. As mentioned you don't HAVE to mount the remote computer inside of windows, but you can. XBMC has an SMB client built in which you can use... For you though, it might be easier to use the one in windows since it's documented all over the web. If you mount your computer as say drive L: you just go to the files view in XBMC, go to that drive, when you see your movies folder click the menu button then "set content" and set it up. The info on how to set your content to be scraped is all over the xbmc wiki.

It's not really hard to do this... just follow one of those tutorials and you should be good to go.
Ah well, thank you guys for all your support. It was very nice. Well in the end i just gave up, upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and it all worked out itself. but thanks for the effort
You know, in theory Vista and Win7 are basically the same OS, but in my experience Win7 is vastly superior. I really don't get that at all, but I'm glad it all worked itself out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting between XBMC's0