• 3(current)
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept)
grajen3 Wrote:let just me understand You correctly - You want to be able do have that rss in Your 'home' window? If so, than I think I won't have to change recently added/random scripts

Yes, I might not have been clear - it's actually 2 issues.

The rss portion is going to be on the home screen(s). Actually two separate feeds for sure (one for the tv feed, and one for the movies feed) but I would like it to be configurable for others down the road. On the home screens it should show a list of the feed (the pad in the lower left corner) and when an item is selected, pull the full text of that item (perhaps pictures if the are available?) as in the second screen shot above.

My comments about the recently added and random item script are actually a separate issue.

Recentlyadded: I need to be able to pull only 3 items (as shown in the tv and movie mockups) with the "more" button displaying the full list of recently added items. I'm not sure if this behavior is currently support by the script or not.

Random item: I need to be able to pull multiple type of random items (so far random movie, random tv show, random episode, random actor, and random director) in addition, for random actor and random director I would like to set a threshold of the times they appear in the database for them to be considered. For instance, I have 50,000 or so actors in the database. I only want to display actors that appear in say more than 3 movies at random. This way we can only see more popular "stars" instead of every extra who ever appeared in a film. For the director, I add the additional hurdle of wanting to add fan art from one of their films to the results.

On to of that, another technical hurdle I introduced is that I would like to be able ton have actor "fan art" if possible. Not sure at all how that would fit in.
grajen3 Wrote:let just me understand You correctly - You want to be able do have that rss in Your 'home' window? If so, than I think I won't have to change recently added/random scripts

even if not, you don't have to change these scripts, they are already fullfill their goal.
Quote:Recentlyadded: I need to be able to pull only 3 items (as shown in the tv and movie mockups) with the "more" button displaying the full list of recently added items. I'm not sure if this behavior is currently support by the script or not.
you can already.

Quote:Random item: I need to be able to pull multiple type of random items
not handled for now, my thought is that director/actor part shouldn't be part of this script.
it's used by most skin, and for those kind of script which interact with skins have to be light, and stay light.
ppic Wrote:you can already.

not handled for now, my thought is that director/actor part shouldn't be part of this script.
it's used by most skin, and for those kind of script which interact with skins have to be light, and stay light.

I agree totally. So can we possibly modify the existing random scrip to a "actor/director" version to encorporate the features I'm trying to achieve?

(and btw none of these script seems to work on my setup using mysql as the database instead of sqlite - just as a side note.)
This looks great. Big Grin

I don't get too much time to mess about with XBMC these days (I'm still using the Camelot release and a version of the Abel skin I started working on about this time last year!) but I'll definitely be looking to upgrade and download this when it's released. Nod

I just hope the skin gets properly developed to make sure it ends up looking as great as the mockups and that it is smooth and usable for the end user. I would suggest a semi-closed development process would probably help avoid it getting bastardised and diluted by the community (too many chefs and all that). In my opinion developing it away from prying eyes and only releasing updates when ready will help it develop properly and should raise excitement levels for the final release.

I actually kicked around an idea for a paper-related skin around the time when we were finishing MediaStream. Even in my wildest imagination I wouldn't have been able to come up with something as polished as this looks though. Great work!!
Follow development of MediaStream, MiniMeedia and other skins on Twitter (@skunkm0nkee)
blacklist Wrote:I agree totally. So can we possibly modify the existing random scrip to a "actor/director" version to encorporate the features I'm trying to achieve?

(and btw none of these script seems to work on my setup using mysql as the database instead of sqlite - just as a side note.)

i thought these were using http api, should be db type dependant.
anyway, it's doable.
I can't see myself using this skin, but dang is this the most creative skin/idea i've seen in a skin.

Superb job, its absolutely amazing
ppic Wrote:i thought these were using http api, should be db type dependant.
anyway, it's doable.

I would have certainly thought so myself, but it turns out neither produce any results on my system at all. I'm going to reload xbmc from the ground up soon and so some clean up here and there before I declare there to be a huge issue. If anyone else is using MySQL I would love to hear their experience with either of the scripts.
blacklist Wrote:I would have certainly thought so myself, but it turns out neither produce any results on my system at all. I'm going to reload xbmc from the ground up soon and so some clean up here and there before I declare there to be a huge issue. If anyone else is using MySQL I would love to hear their experience with either of the scripts.
im using MySQL and had to do some modification to SQL queries (there was issue with "is null" or "isnull" in WHERE condition)
grajen3 Wrote:im using MySQL and had to do some modification to SQL queries (there was issue with "is null" or "isnull" in WHERE condition)

That's interesting... did you actually modify the script itself? Might be something we need to bring up to the developers of the scrips.
this looks incredible... will certainly replace any theme I have with this one once it's released.
blacklist Wrote:That's interesting... did you actually modify the script itself? Might be something we need to bring up to the developers of the scrips.

Just for the record, i made this change on my system and the script works like a champ now. Thanks for the heads up!
blacklist Wrote:The rss portion is going to be on the home screen(s). Actually two separate feeds for sure (one for the tv feed, and one for the movies feed) but I would like it to be configurable for others down the road. On the home screens it should show a list of the feed (the pad in the lower left corner) and when an item is selected, pull the full text of that item (perhaps pictures if the are available?) as in the second screen shot above.
working demo (ugly modded confluence home window): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fAVvnZEwk

---
demo #2 (with youtube media support): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90MSaG93Qs (needs tweeking but it's working )
grajen3 Wrote:working demo (ugly modded confluence home window): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0fAVvnZEwk

---
demo #2 (with youtube media support): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i90MSaG93Qs (needs tweeking but it's working )

Both awesome AND perfect! Thanks so much for the quick work man - i am going to encorporate this throught the skin. One question... if the RSS article includes pictures, could we display them as well? Ideally i would like control the formatting, but even inline would be fantastic!

Thanks again for the quick work!
blacklist Wrote:Both awesome AND perfect! Thanks so much for the quick work man - i am going to encorporate this throught the skin. One question... if the RSS article includes pictures, could we display them as well? Ideally i would like control the formatting, but even inline would be fantastic!

Thanks again for the quick work!
Well, displaying images is working - You can see it in demo #2. The problem is that some RSS feeds doesn't attach media files correctly ( http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specificatio...OfLtitemgt ) and use some custom schemas (which I need to add custom handling).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] The Paper Street Soap Company (mockups and development of a new skin concept)12