[Apple TV] Use a D-link Wi-Fi dongle with ATV?
Hi everybody :-)

I'm trying to use D-link Wi-Fi dongle (namely DWA-140) with ATV to get connected to the network. I'we replaced native Wi-Fi module with CHD card (again lot of thanx to XBMC team), and now I'm trying to get ATV connected to my Wi-Fi network. Unfortunately, Ethernet is not an option, as it is not possible to lay a cable without destroying my apartment :-(

I've found Mac OS 10.4 drivers at D-Link site, but I wonder if I can install it, and if yes, how should I proceed. I already have Nito TV smart install (based on 10.4.9 combo update) installed, and AFP enabled.

Your help is really appreciated :-)

BR

P.S. I need networking to have ATV running all its basic functions, like AirTunes, photos, etc., while I will watch HD content from local USB drive...
Have you considered Powerline Networking? This can work but it will depend on the age of your wiring and the amount of noise in your powerlines.
Image The image is linked to the product page at Newegg if you want to do a bit of review reading.

I have this setup at my brothers house as he didnt want to run wires through his walls same as you. I can stream 720p from my house to his using an FTP server and the system does not have a problem with playback or stuttering. Overall I would say that this solution is just about as stable as Wifi with regard to average throughput. This would save you any headache with setting up the adapter and dealing with hacked driver installs.

Airplay and the other Atv services should still work as expected.
Hi ritalin,

Thank you for the idea, looks really elegant and easy to setup. I live in Eastern Europe in the house that was built in 1917, and I have zero idea about wiring... I checked specs - voltage and frequency are ok, so theoretically it should work. Will try to find it in the local market as shipping from US is a pain due to stupid customs office.

Best regards

ritalin Wrote:Have you considered Powerline Networking? This can work but it will depend on the age of your wiring and the amount of noise in your powerlines.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple TV] Use a D-link Wi-Fi dongle with ATV?0