[LIVE] Transfers stuck at 2.6MB/sec Asrock A330ION
System specs :
mainboard = Asrock A330ION
hd = Samsung F2 eco 1.5TB
mem = Kingston 2x1GB DDR3-1066

XBMC Live Dharma RC2

Network here is all gigabit except for two 200mbit powerline adapters. (need these to go from gigabit switch to gigabit router)

Problem :
Everything I try to transfer files from my pc to my htpc it either slows down or increases to ~2.6MB/s and gets stuck there until the transfer is done. I've tried ftp and smb, both ways and they're all stuck at the same really slow speed.
When I run ethtool eth0 it even shows 1000Mb/s speed full duplex being used yet...it feels like 10mbit Confused

Anyone have any idea what would help? I've tried changing buffers around in smb.conf but that didn't help at all and since I have the same problem with ftp it's not an smb problem Confused
What are the transfer rates purely connected to the gigabit switch like?

Are you using ftp or sftp?? I would recommend using ftp instead of sftp. Ftp doesnt use the cpu as much.
If I transfer via sftp then my transfer rates are around 10-12MB/s. If I use ftp then my transfer rates are around 50-70Mb/s.
ok

If theres a 200Mbit inbetween the machines then despite it being 1giga at each end the bottleneck is the 200Mbits...200mbits Im betting its on full duplex so its 100Mbts each way so that bottleneck + the HDD bottleneck + intefrerence adn user error, Im not surprised.

in order to get full speed on giga you cant mix and match

also if you have jumbo frames enabled for the giga adapters, disable it since only giga adapters and certain giga switches support jumbo frames. 100Tbase doesnt support jumbo frames.

try

Machine A giga ethernet port----1gig-ethernet--cat5e-or-cat6----machine B giga ethernet port

if you have

machine A-giga -----powerline----machine B giga

of course the adapters will say they connected at giga but they are on auto so they will fall back...and they should be set to auto... unless everything is of equal ability.

long story short you can get giga powerlines and dont skimp out on the quality of cable which should be cat5e or cat6 700mhz cable prefreably shileded cable.

I think you need to get yourself some serious networking research done and ensure your powerlines are good quality...

Personally I rather run a cable then powerlines, purely cause the interference can hamper bandwith a LOT.

FTP via good giga on mine is around 120MB/s sometimes 200MB/s depends on HDD speed.

a 5400rpm hdd which is slow so best speed on giga to that will expect around 50MB/s 7200rpm you can expect to hit 100MB/s depending on everything including interference.

read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication

I invested on a 10meter cat6 1000MHZ and all patch cables same for my giga network, the bottlenecks on my network are my HDD's
homer79 Wrote:What are the transfer rates purely connected to the gigabit switch like?

Are you using ftp or sftp?? I would recommend using ftp instead of sftp. Ftp doesnt use the cpu as much.
If I transfer via sftp then my transfer rates are around 10-12MB/s. If I use ftp then my transfer rates are around 50-70Mb/s.
I've tried both, both same speed.

Before I had the htpc there I tested the network and powerlines and I was getting 20-22 MB/sec.

@X3lectric :
I just did and... you're right about the powerlines being a HUGE bottleneck, they worked at a higher speed before so I didn't expect them to let me down but apparently they do.
Hooked up to the switch in the computer room it's transfering at about 100MB/s constantly going up and down around that, should've tested that before I made this thread, sorry Sad

Now that's figured out....happen to know a good choice for gigabit powerline adapters? Will need them since I can't really run a cable from here to my tv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Transfers stuck at 2.6MB/sec Asrock A330ION0