XBMC - Plasma - Invalid Format error
I have an Acer Aspire (Windows 7) 64 dual core, 4gb memory connected to my 52 inch plasma tv.

When I open XBMC It blinks to a black screen displaying an error that says "invalid format" and "no signal". Sometimes I'm able to view movies on a lower resolution but when I change it to recommended size the screen starts blinking from a completely black screen to what should actually show, it goes back and forth. Could it be the graphics card?

However it does work perfectly on my other LCD TV "42" inch and not on my PLASMA 52" TV.
How are you connecting to these TV's?
Use a keyboard to put XBMC in windowed mode. Try disabling auto switch refreshrate in settings
MBP late 2009 - TimeCapsule 2TB - Harmony One+ - Readynas NV+ 8TB RAID5 - Mac Mini late 2009 with 10.9.0 and VDA - Panasonic TX-PG420ES -
Oli_Oops Wrote:How are you connecting to these TV's?

I'm connecting the PC to these TVs via HDMI cable.
Download the manual for your TV and check what resolution/refresh rates it accepts over HDMI not all screens accept everything
>>X<<' Wrote:Download the manual for your TV and check what resolution/refresh rates it accepts over HDMI not all screens accept everything

I will try to find it, but if I don't how can I change the refresh rate on the PC? Under Nvidia Display Settings it only gives me one choice to select 60 Hz
If it only accepts 60Hz then that's what your need to use but it might only accept certain resolutions at 60Hz that's why you need to know what it accepts

So does your desktop run fine and is xbmc using the same resolution as your desktop ?

Also at what point does it go wrong when you start xbmc or when you play a video ?

There might be something else going on if xbmc is using the same resolution as your desktop and it happens when you start xbmc
I tried to use same resolution (recommended size) on XBMC as on the TV screen resolution
- but XBMC does not accept it and it automatically chooses a resolution on the XBMC menu for me which is not the same as the screen resolution.

XBMC works much better when I choose a lower screen resolution
- this time I'm able to open XBMC and even play movies (stops randomly like 7 times for like 4 seconds) while playing the movie.
- Even though XBMC works with lower screen resolution, this lower size is not the recommended so when displaying the desktop screen I'm not able to see everything because it does not fit perfectly the tv screen.
So did you find out in the manual what your tv accepts over HDMI ?

What ever resolution you run your windows desktop at should run in xbmc in fact it will use that resolution by default unless you change it in xbmc
FIXED: Thanks guys, I managed to change resolution to 1024x768 at 60hz and I'm able to open XBMC without freezing or screen blinking and showing invalid format error. I even played high resolution movies and works great.

Only flaw is that when playing movies it stills stops randomly like 3 to 5 times (for about 4 seconds). What do you think could be this problem?
I'm pretty sure you should be able to get your screens native resolution over hdmi which would obviously give the best image especially in the gui text for example would be much clearer

What's the make and model number ?
Hi there,

I have experienced this problem as well. It only occurs when I have the following setting turned ON (Settlings>Video>Playback>'Adjust Display Refresh Rate To Match Video'). For my HD content (720P/1080P), it adjusts the framerate to 24p.

If I get the invalid format error, I turn off this option, and the video runs fine. In fact, XBMC plays every file properly when I turn this option off, however you have to deal with some juttering.

My plasma tv is connected to the computer (ACER) via HDMI, and running in at 1920x1080. I do NOT have 'Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen' checked on, however I believe it works fine as well.

Good luck.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - Plasma - Invalid Format error0