Skin setting or XBMC code issue?
As many of you know I have never liked using the library mode. It just not consistent enough for me and my file organization OCD. So with that said no the answer to my question is not, nor ever will be "use the library mode"

Ok the question. While in File mode, in a skin like media stream with fanart enabled the display of fanart is inconstant *IF* you have your files in separate folders. Here is what I mean:
IF my folder "Movies" has folders in it with movies (named of course for the movie) and their related files inside it XBMC will look inside for a fanart.jpg file to display, if it doesn't find one it shows nothing. Once I enter the folder (a diff complaint as it should default to playing the file anyway and not make me press play if there is only a single playable file inside but i digress) it will not show fanart.jpg it instead looks for and displays "filename-fanart.jpg" if that is not foudn then nothing is displayed for fanart.

So is this an issue of skin coding or default behavior in XBMC? Shouldn't it look for fanart.jpg and failing that then look for filename-fanart.jpg in both cases? Or just settle on one file to look for?
cold_realms Wrote:As many of you know I have never liked using the library mode. It just not consistent enough for me and my file organization OCD. So with that said no the answer to my question is not, nor ever will be "use the library mode"

Ok the question. While in File mode, in a skin like media stream with fanart enabled the display of fanart is inconstant *IF* you have your files in separate folders. Here is what I mean:
IF my folder "Movies" has folders in it with movies (named of course for the movie) and their related files inside it XBMC will look inside for a fanart.jpg file to display, if it doesn't find one it shows nothing. Once I enter the folder (a diff complaint as it should default to playing the file anyway and not make me press play if there is only a single playable file inside but i digress) it will not show fanart.jpg it instead looks for and displays "filename-fanart.jpg" if that is not foudn then nothing is displayed for fanart.

So is this an issue of skin coding or default behavior in XBMC? Shouldn't it look for fanart.jpg and failing that then look for filename-fanart.jpg in both cases? Or just settle on one file to look for?

The way I understand it: fanart.jpg only works if you are using "Use folder name for look up", and that option is only available in Library Mode. It makes sense, because in Files Mode you could choose to store many different movies inside a folder. In Library Mode, when you scan items inside a folder into the library, you'll have to tell XBMC about "Using folder name for look up" and "The folder has only single video" are true or false.

So in Files mode, it does not know how many different movies you have inside a folder, therefore fanart.jpg should not apply. And even if it is keeping track of the list of movies in a folder, there is no hint whether which movie this fanart.jpg is for.
Then anyway to force it to use the same fanart or must I duplicate things? Would seem that having it look for foldername-fanart.jpg which happens to be filename-fanart.jpg should work. That way if its a big folder full of files it doesn't get confused at the folder level (because there wouldn't be a fanart for that with the same name inside.

I wonder how hard it would be to add the "Use folder name for look up" option to both file and library... While we are at it how hard would it be to add the "The folder has only single video". Can it be added or is there some reason preventing opening up the options?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skin setting or XBMC code issue?0