XBMC Live - Dharma RC2 - No internet???
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me, i'm having problems with my RC2 live install that i've never had before. I'm running on an Acer Revo 3610, with the wireless upgraded to intel (binned the rubbish Atheros!). I'm using WICD to manage my wireless connection and its working fine, from the console, but NOT from within XBMC. I've got no RSS ticker or weather. If I exit XBMC, login to the console the do 'xinit xbmc' everything works fine!!

So, i'm suspecting one of two issue.

1. XBMC is starting before WICD, thus not picking up the network connection.
2. Permissions issue with XBMC

I'm leaning more towards 1 as last night i watched an episode of chuck (40mins) and when i got back to the homescreen the weather and rss had appeared!!

Can anyone suggest how i ensure WICD is up and connected before starting XBMC. I read on another thread someone suggesting putting 'sleep 10' at the start of runXBMC.... this didn't work for me.

Please let me know any logs i can provide.

Thanks,
Jonathan
I dont know what binned rubbish means but try this.

make the sleep longer if need be.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83863
BTW, why are you using ANYTHING to manage the wireless connection?

Edit the /etc/network/interfaces file with the correct information and let it rip.
You would seem to have introduced an added variable into the equation that doesn't need to be there. The connection doesn't need to be MANAGED by ANYTHING 3rd party. Its self sustaining.
well, thats the same reason why gui is not neeed...I partly agree but normal end users likes guis and wicd-curses is pretty good.

Why it is good? It makes people warm and fuzzy when they can see the available networks and thier status.

wcid & xbmc plays good togther on ion 330 HT but perhaps it is hw dependant.
FishOil Wrote:I dont know what binned rubbish means but try this.

make the sleep longer if need be.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83863

Thanks but this is the 'sleep 10' thing that I already tried. The reason i'm using wicd is because editing my interfaces file manually didn't work. I backed up my old interfaces file from my old camelot live installation and used that but it didn't work. WICD was my last resort.
Can anyone help me with this? i there anyway to change the startup order, i.e. get WICD to start well before XBMC?

Thanks,
Jonathan
The sleep thing you dont want to do is doing exactly that.
There must be some other issue going on. A simple but less than desirable and temporary workaround would be to map a button on the remote to "XBMC.RestartApp"

After XBMC starts press the selected button and XBMC will quickly restart.
This will only work because you had mentioned that if you drop to a console you have network access.
Same problem here, using /etc/network/interfaces to establish wireless connection on XBMC Dharma. Sleep won't do the trick.

Did anyone come up with a good solution yet?
'sleep 25' in my runXBMC seemed to do the trick. i checked my logs for xbmc and wicd after a couple of reboots, and wicd was consistantly making the connection 20 seconds AFTER xbmc started.

why it takes so long to connect is beyond me!!
musti Wrote:'sleep 25' in my runXBMC seemed to do the trick. i checked my logs for xbmc and wicd after a couple of reboots, and wicd was consistantly making the connection 20 seconds AFTER xbmc started.

why it takes so long to connect is beyond me!!

If your using wicd you can move the runXBMC file to the wicd post connection folder.
XBMC will ONLY start after a connection has been made. This will ensure the shortest wait time and give the most consistent result without guessing the wait time.

wicd itself is likely the result of the longer wait time vs manual configuration without wicd.
FishOil Wrote:If your using wicd you can move the runXBMC file to the wicd post connection folder.
XBMC will ONLY start after a connection has been made. This will ensure the shortest wait time and give the most consistent result without guessing the wait time.

wicd itself is likely the result of the longer wait time vs manual configuration without wicd.

Thanks! How would I do that? Are there any risks?
musti Wrote:Thanks! How would I do that? Are there any risks?

For an XBMC Live install.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=724...stcount=30
FishOil Wrote:For an XBMC Live install.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=724...stcount=30

Thanks, i'll try it!

EDIT: Work, thanks. Definitely a more elegant solution!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Live - Dharma RC2 - No internet???0