[LIVE] How easy is it to update from Dharma Beta 2 to Beta 4?
Hi all,

I am really tempted to upgrade from Dharma Beta 2 to Beta 4, just for this modification of Launcher but I have never upgraded a version of XBMC and am worried stuff will stop working etc.

I am reading into Clonezilla now to take a backup of my current OS, (I run Live) but wonder how to actually go about the update process please as I've never done it.

P.s I have tried numerous searches on the site but constantly get search errors from the forum's webserver or can't find a post on how to do this.

thanks in advance, sorry for the newb question.
Lounge rig: nVidia Shield - Official Kodi
Bedroom rig: Amazon Fire TV - Kodi 17.3
Backend: HP Microserver, Ubuntu, JBOD
If you have Live installed, it is pretty easy, well at least to go all the way to RC2. I am not sure how you would go just to Beta 4. Assuming you want to go to RC2:

1) SSH into your box
2) run : sudo update
3) When that is done do sudo upgrade xbmc
or
if you want to upgrade everything on your system run sudo upgrade.

I am fairly new to all this myself, but I am 95% sure that this is correct (at least it is what I have been doing). Maybe someone more experienced can chime in and confirm for you.
jschoen Wrote:If you have Live installed, it is pretty easy, well at least to go all the way to RC2. I am not sure how you would go just to Beta 4. Assuming you want to go to RC2:

1) SSH into your box
or

I am fairly new to all this myself, but I am 95% sure that this is correct (at least it is what I have been doing). Maybe someone more experienced can chime in and confirm for you.

thanks for that, wow I had no idea it would be so easy.

What is RC2? Is that Dharma Beta 2 RC 2? I don't understand, is there a Dharma roadmap I can see somewhere please?
I would run aptitude safe-upgrade as smetime doing full upgrade can break stuff.

you can also drop to terminal ctrl + F1 or F2

login

the do sudo aptitude

you get a txt version similar to synaptic, its really easy to use... You can select and install exactly what you need and at the same time se how linux works a bit.

commands:

arrows up down left right navigate but you can also use mouse.

u = functions like update lists/packages
g = Installs marked packages
/ = opens a search box (type whatever your searching for) press enter after
n = goes to next on list
q = quits current view or aptitude & returns you to terminal

shift + selects an item to be upgraded/installed
shift - deselectes it or if it is installed it purges it

Presing enter on a package = displays information about it to return to previous screen press q
(this way you can select and downgrade to ealier packages, which are usually listed at bottom of info.)

It also takes care of dependencies automatically...

I think more people should use aptitude application while in terminal.

I use it and it cool. read more about it here http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/22/install...-aptitude/
jschoen Wrote:If you have Live installed, it is pretty easy, well at least to go all the way to RC2. I am not sure how you would go just to Beta 4. Assuming you want to go to RC2:

1) SSH into your box
or

Those are not valid commands.
cable_guy Wrote:What is RC2? Is that Dharma Beta 2 RC 2? I don't understand, is there a Dharma roadmap I can see somewhere please?

To answer your question...
RC just means "Release Candidate"; in other words XBMC is moving from beta (testing phase) to an official release sometime soon.

So....
Dharma Beta 1
Dharma Beta 2
Dharma Beta 3
Dharma Beta 4
Dharma RC1
Dharma RC2
BY the comments http://xbmc.org/theuni/2010/12/02/dharma-rc2/

theuni Wrote:It has been far too long already, so the final release of Dharma should be close behind this one. If you have any outstanding issues speak now or forever hold your peace!

Problems exist all over, but I guess after nearly a yearsince the last "stable" was released, my guess is, that the new Dharma is gonna come out kicking and screaming,,,,

Good effort Team XBMC you guys deserve a medal for commitment to project...

Thoush XBMC stables are still buggy and dont work out of the box without tweaking, I still rather use it maimed and all then anything developed by Microsoft...
@ cable_guy

Please try it like this.

POST #1
X3lectric Wrote:I would run aptitude safe-upgrade as smetime doing full upgrade can break stuff.

you can also drop to terminal ctrl + F1 or F2

login

the do sudo aptitude

you get a txt version similar to synaptic, its really easy to use... You can select and install exactly what you need and at the same time se how linux works a bit.

commands:

arrows up down left right navigate but you can also use mouse.

u = functions like update lists/packages
g = Installs marked packages
/ = opens a search box (type whatever your searching for) press enter after
n = goes to next on list
q = quits current view or aptitude & returns you to terminal

shift + selects an item to be upgraded/installed
shift - deselectes it or if it is installed it purges it

Presing enter on a package = displays information about it to return to previous screen press q
(this way you can select and downgrade to ealier packages, which are usually listed at bottom of info.)

It also takes care of dependencies automatically...

I think more people should use aptitude application while in terminal.

I use it and it cool. read more about it here http://www.ghacks.net/2008/12/22/install...-aptitude/

1) SSH into your box
or

Someone more experienced can confirm what jschoen posted is utter rubbish, all it does is give out errors, please dont post stuff if you arent sure what your doing, but at the same time, dont give up tryin to help others.

If you dont fancy doing what I suggested POST #1 and you already have team xbmc svn ppa inserted, you must do.

POST #2

1) sudo stop xbmc-live
2) sudo aptitude update or sudo apt-get update (both do the same)
3) sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
4) sudo start xbmc-live

in extreme case if aptitude safe-upgrade doesnt do the job you can do

5) sudo aptitude full-upgrade

explanation for idiots:
  • aptitude safe-upgrade will not upgrade packages if:
    • relied dependencies have not been updated to the required version.
    • installing the upgrade means removing dependencies that other packages need.

• aptitude full-upgrade will update packages unless:
    • the upgrade removes dependencies that other packages need

This means that aptitude safe-upgrade is a RISK.

I recommend you used what I posted on POST #1 or POST #2

If your afraid of any of the following:

Linux, spiders, snakes, the dark, you own shadow, your mum, confined spaces... Follow the white rabbit

enjoy.
thanks loads for your helpful posts.Can I assume if I safe-upgrade xbmc I will be upgraded from Beta 2 to RC2 (the latest version)?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How easy is it to update from Dharma Beta 2 to Beta 4?0