[WINDOWS] unable to see mapped NFS drive letters in win 7
I've tried searching up and down and can't seem to find the answer to this one. I have several systems that interface with a linux/samba file server through XBMC. All the win XP systems work fine but when I try to add a source in the XBMC videos menu, my new win 7 laptop does not seem to be able to see the mapped drive letters on the system. I can get to them fine in the file explorer but XBMC for some reason does not see them. I have tried the SMB function and that works as well, however some of my third party scripts are rather dependent on the drive letter and they are not set up to use SMB mapping.

Here are my setup details: (dont think all this is relevant but I'll post it anyhow)
-Win 7 Home Premium (all win updates installed as of today, no SP's yet)
-Intel Core i7 q740 (mobile, 64 bit)
-4 GB ram
-nvidia GeForce GTX 460M (driver 8.17.12.5912)
-Conexant SmartAudio HD (driver 4.126.0.62)
-Linux system is running mythbuntu 10.10, script requiring mapped drive letters (instead of internal SMB mapping) is mythbox
-XBMC version 9.11.0.0
-logfile @ http://pastebin.com/0FHTLxD9

-To replicate:
map a network folder in win 7 explorer to drive letter (I used K: )
launch XBMC (I am using portable setup and running as admin)
select videos menu
select Add source
If you hit browse here the drive letter (K: ) is not listed, alternatively click none and try to manually enter the path (tried K: and K:\)
If manually entering path, Click Ok
Error will pop up: UNABLE TO CONNECT Could not retrieve directory information

I have double checked to make sure the K: drive is accessable via the windows explorer.

If you need any more detail please let me know. It seems win 7 might be handling these mapped drive letters in such a way the XBMC cannot see them? I've been googl'ing for several evenings to no avail :-(

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
~E
Maybe it has to do with how windows 7 manages remote shares. Try fiddling in network sharing center with options. Try playing with - allow a passwordless share, lower the encryption level etc. The first did it for me.
So you are able to see the drive letters in this spot on a win 7 system? Which version are you running? I've fiddled with those settings to no avail. What are yours set to? I have the following at the moment:
-Network Discovery: On
-File and printer sharing: On
-Public folder sharing: Off (have tried alternate setting)
-Media Streaming: Off
-File sharing connections: Use 128-bit (have tried alternate setting)
-Password protected sharing: On (have tried alternate setting)
-Homegroup connections: Allow windows to manage (have tried alternate setting)
bump... anyone have any ideas? My best guess at this point is something to do with the machine's 64 bit OS?
erittaf Wrote:bump... anyone have any ideas? My best guess at this point is something to do with the machine's 64 bit OS?

First, I would reboot Win 7. And then go into Windows Explorer and navigate to drive K. Make sure that you can browse this drive directory in Windows Explorer. And then start XBMC. It hapenned to me a few times on Win XP (the same way). And also go into the drive Properties and look at the option "Reconnect at Logon" and make sure that it was checked.
Already tried all of that, but thanks for the offering... Is anyone out there running win7 (home premium) 64-bit and is able to see their mapped drives in XBMC? I would assume so but it would be great for someone that runs the same OS to chime in... I've recently gone through my services as well just to be sure there isn't something disabled improperly.

Still stuck and forced to watch my PVR stuff on the crappy machine :-(
erittaf Wrote:Already tried all of that, but thanks for the offering... Is anyone out there running win7 (home premium) 64-bit and is able to see their mapped drives in XBMC? I would assume so but it would be great for someone that runs the same OS to chime in... I've recently gone through my services as well just to be sure there isn't something disabled improperly.

Still stuck and forced to watch my PVR stuff on the crappy machine :-(

Actually I do run XBMC on Win 7 Home Premium 64. XBMC sees the mapped drives without problem. What I described about Win XP was about another laptop that failed to mount the mapped drive properly, and what I did to "reconnect" it back. If you can see the mapped drive on Windows Explorer on Win 7, then XBMC should not have any problem seeing it too. Did you make sure that you have scroll down all the way to the bottom? sometime if you have too many share drives on the network, the drive you navigate to is off the screen (far out, but worth mentioning ;-)
Hi.
I see this thread is quite old, but this problem just hit me.
Initially I didn't have any problem with mapped network drives. But I started to look for some other builds in hope they could solve horrible deinterlacing.
After finding a few builds I installed them one after another over my current setup. But since the first install XBMC lost access to all mapped drives and it never came back.
No matter what I did later - full uninstall, release version install - it didn't help.
Any fresh ideas? Is it some kind of bug in XBMC?

Thanks

OK. Mystery solved.
There is some problem with installer.
If at the end of installation process I check "Run XBMC" then XBMC doesn't see mapped drives until I restart it. If I don't check this check box and run XBMC manually then there is no problem with mapped drives.
I tried it several times - this pattern always works.
Hello,

it seems I have this problem today !
XBMC won't see the drive N:\ I have mapped in windows.

I have no problem with N:\ in windows Explorer ...

Yesterday, it was working !
What changed today ? : the harddrive !
I Have replaced my harddrive with a new one. I have done the replacement with a Linux live cd and a good old dd to clone the disks.
Everything works, except that !

any Idea ?

Os is Win7x64
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
I don't have the complete explanation, but I have the solution !

My problem is that I run XBMC with admin rights.
For some reasons, Apps that runs with admin rights won't see the network drives mapped by the user that opened the session.
There is a registry key to address this problem :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
EnableLinkedConnections =(dword)1

I have tried it, and it works. Now, I can access my network drive within XBMC which runs as admin.

what I don't understand is that it was working yesterday without this registry key.
Thanks to all XBMC contributors, devs, skinners, scripters, ... It's really an amazing piece of software.
Confirmed thanks for this, only recently upgraded my version 11 to 12.2 and had this problem...
(2011-06-08, 00:37)miljbee Wrote: I don't have the complete explanation, but I have the solution !

My problem is that I run XBMC with admin rights.
For some reasons, Apps that runs with admin rights won't see the network drives mapped by the user that opened the session.
There is a registry key to address this problem :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
EnableLinkedConnections =(dword)1

I have tried it, and it works. Now, I can access my network drive within XBMC which runs as admin.

what I don't understand is that it was working yesterday without this registry key.

I know its an old topic, but just wanted to say big THANK YOU!!!!
Had the same problem was searching high and low... your reg key did the trick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] unable to see mapped NFS drive letters in win 70