Just want to understand....
I currently use another software to stream avi files from my media center to the xbox. I've used it for a long time and just have not found anything else that will do what I want/need. It is lacking. What I need is a program that will stream avi files AND my dvd rips in iso/bin format to my xbox. Please tell me this will do that. I read the wiki and it looks like it does, but it just sounds too good to be true. I would set it up and try it right now, but sadly I will not be back home for another month.
Um. Well, what kind of xbox are we talking? Original xbox or xbox360? If original xbox, you can (theoretically, if you have the know-how) install xbmc4xbox onto it. See http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/ Then you just share your folders containing your rips, and the xbox will find them.

If Xbox360, xbmc will be pretty useless for you. XBMC acts as a video player/frontend. It is software that is installed to the box that is connected to the TV. Usually, you put it on a home theater PC or occasionally an AppleTV or similar. XBMC CAN stream video files to other computers using uPNP, but to my knowledge it doesn't transcode them, which I think would be necessary for the 360 (though if someone else has more knowledge on this topic, for heaven's sake, let them speak).
bo0ddha Wrote:I currently use another software to stream avi files from my media center to the xbox. I've used it for a long time and just have not found anything else that will do what I want/need. It is lacking. What I need is a program that will stream avi files AND my dvd rips in iso/bin format to my xbox. Please tell me this will do that. I read the wiki and it looks like it does, but it just sounds too good to be true. I would set it up and try it right now, but sadly I will not be back home for another month.

Check out XBMC4Xbox.org

Works really really will with SD content on the Xbox 1.

DOES NOT work on the 360, and never (most likely) will.

-Wes
natethomas Wrote:If Xbox360, xbmc will be pretty useless for you. XBMC acts as a video player/frontend. It is software that is installed to the box that is connected to the TV. Usually, you put it on a home theater PC or occasionally an AppleTV or similar. XBMC CAN stream video files to other computers using uPNP, but to my knowledge it doesn't transcode them, which I think would be necessary for the 360 (though if someone else has more knowledge on this topic, for heaven's sake, let them speak).

I have partly the same setup. I do have Xbox 360's though. What I choose to do was to setup my HTPC with Win7 + XBMC.

Included in Win7 is Media Center. So for streaming to my X360's I have setup the MC. The Xbox360's are added to the HTPC as extenders and they play all kinds of movies like mkv which used to be a struggle earlier.

For playing stuff on my main tv I have hooked up the XBMC and HTPC.

This works very well so far. I don't use the Media Center AT ALL exept for the streaming. So you just fire it up ones, set your shares and of you go.

Then you use XBMC for the stuff you want to watch on your main tv. I have not had to install any other programs at all. I wish XBMC could be used instead of MC but that is not the purpose of it I guess.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Just want to understand....0