HDMI surround problems
I have a problem. I HAVE searched both this forum and Googled extensively. I have not found my specific problem, as far as I can tell.

OK. Ubuntu 10.04 64bit. HDMI sound works perfectly, even 5.1 DD and DTS in VLC.

My problem is - what specific XBMC config file do I have to manipulate to make XBMC recognize hw:0,7 as my default HDMI sound port when playing DVD's? XBMC wants to use hw:0,3 which is not valid. Changing things in "Settings" only creates 'no sound card' errors.

All other sounds work fine (analog PCM) through TV/home theatre system.

Please ask what other info you need to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
I ran through the alsa upgrade guide with complete scripts and stuff to fix hdmi-audio on 64bit minimal ubuntu. Google alsa sound fix hdmi ubuntu --I'll see if I can dig it up for you if you can't find it. I have no way of knowing if it was working prior to, since I didnt install gdm/x.

What type of soundcard/pc is it? I've only done this on zotacs, doing my third tomorrow when it gets here...
Not sure exactly what you're after, as do you get DD/DTS within XBMC?

In the settings, in XBMC are you using just hw:0,7? This needs to be plughw:0,7 - This will save the settings directly into ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml

If you need to make a specific change for ALSA(I'm assuming you're using that, a debug log would've helped), then you can use either a .asoundrc or asound.conf file: http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc
Thanks for the replies so far.

Gryph Wrote:Not sure exactly what you're after, as do you get DD/DTS within XBMC?
No. I do not get any DD/DTS in XBMC. However, I do get those if I use VLC. Otherwise, I simply get analog sound from within XBMC.

Quote:In the settings, in XBMC are you using just hw:0,7? This needs to be plughw:0,7 - This will save the settings directly into ~/.xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml
I have tried plughw:0,7. It gave the "no sound card" error when trying to play any audio. That is why I was wondering if there was some setting in a file in the /.XBMC folder that needs to be changed to force XBMC to not use hw:0,3 (I checked with alsamixer open and as soon as I played a DVD, 0,3 became unmuted). I will try that setting again, just in case.

Quote:If you need to make a specific change for ALSA(I'm assuming you're using that, a debug log would've helped), then you can use either a .asoundrc or asound.conf file: http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc
As I mentioned, I have perfect HDMI sound in Ubuntu. Only with XBMC I cannot get any digital throughput, only analog.

I really want to use XBMC as a complete HTPC solution. I like all the things I have used in it so far, except being able to play DVD's with DD/DTS.
One issue I have had is that if I set the output device in Ubuntu Desktop to the digital output then I can't use digital output in XBMC. So I set Ubuntu Desktop to 5.1 analog output, then set XBMC to iec958, set the device at the top to HDMI. Then I turn on DD and DTS switches and everything works. If I have the digital output set as default in Ubuntu Desktop then all I ever get with these settings is "device failed to initialize". Maybe not the issue you're having but it's what's worked for me on 10.04.
Dougie085 Wrote:One issue I have had is that if I set the output device in Ubuntu Desktop to the digital output then I can't use digital output in XBMC. So I set Ubuntu Desktop to 5.1 analog output, then set XBMC to iec958, set the device at the top to HDMI. Then I turn on DD and DTS switches and everything works. If I have the digital output set as default in Ubuntu Desktop then all I ever get with these settings is "device failed to initialize". Maybe not the issue you're having but it's what's worked for me on 10.04.
I'll give that a try.

However, as I stated, XBMC starts the wrong hardware device when playing DVD's (hw:0,3). It should use the default sink, hw:0,7, but ignores it. I have no trouble at all playing music in XBMC, as it defaults to analog to do so.
Yeah I'm not sure exactly what XBMC was doing for me....just figured out how to fix it lol. I'm not sure why it would be trying to use the wrong device? Do you have more then one audio device? If so disable the others you aren't using.
ubuntu (pulseaudio) and XBMC (alsa) are "fighting" over the hardware devices. we have these problems all the time with people who use XBMC inside of a full ubuntu desktop install.

sydbat, I'd really like to see the output for aplay -l and aplay -L even if you are sure that plughw:0,7 should be the device to use

for everything else, see the various pulseaudio-related fixes here in the forum
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:ubuntu (pulseaudio) and XBMC (alsa) are "fighting" over the hardware devices. we have these problems all the time with people who use XBMC inside of a full ubuntu desktop install.

sydbat, I'd really like to see the output for aplay -l and aplay -L even if you are sure that plughw:0,7 should be the device to use

for everything else, see the various pulseaudio-related fixes here in the forum
Here ya go...

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889A Analog [ALC889A Analog]
card 1: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889A Digital [ALC889A Digital]
aplay -L
Code:
pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
hdmi:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889A Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC889A Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
Enjoy!

A note about the onboard sound - only used for / set to input. Otherwise it wants to control all the sounds on the system.
did you already try to use the pulseaudio alsa sink?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...,_or_GT240
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:did you already try to use the pulseaudio alsa sink?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...,_or_GT240
Yes. It was a step on my way to get sound in the first place.
sydbat Wrote:My problem is - what specific XBMC config file do I have to manipulate to make XBMC recognize hw:0,7 as my default HDMI sound port when playing DVD's? XBMC wants to use hw:0,3 which is not valid. Changing things in "Settings" only creates 'no sound card' errors.

In XBMC try Custom output device and then in the field that is editable once you select this, hw:0,7.

You could also find out the right options and edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf with something *like* but *not* (as it depends on your exact hardware) options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2. This masks out the other audio devices on the card leaving only the one that works. You can also remap the default audio device using pcm.!default and ctl.!default in .asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI surround problems0