BMC70015 vs BMC70012
I have the older BMC70012 card installed in my ATV but am wondering what (if any) benefits there are in upgrading the card?

Most stuff seems to be playing alright under RC2 with the latest drivers although there is the occasional stutter or dropped frame looking thing, to be fair I haven't looked at it any closer so I'm not even sure it's not just a bad encode.
totally non-scientific - but I have both installed in identical atvs running rc2. My older 0012 card is of the eBay variety and I'm convinced that my newer 0015 card just plays stuff nicer, less stuttering in the beginning, faster to start. etc. Not that my 0012 is bad..but if I had to compare..you know.
My buddy just picked up an ATV and I put the 15 in his. I have the older 12 in mine and we both got them from a reputable supplier.

After installing everything into his and figuring out that a battery was the cause to some unrelated problems, we did a test to see if there was a difference. Video quality was the same, but it does seem to play a little smoother than the one on mine. Could be many factors on that though as they weren't configured exactly the same.

In my opinion, is it worth the extra $50? Sure, why not? Will I go out and buy one right now, nope. I'm going to wait until after xmas and then get one.
I believe the 15 supports Mpeg4/XviD/DivX decoding which would help if you had high-res files in this format that the CPU couldn't handle. The reality is that most people use x264 for their HD stuff so the 12 is fine.

I have the 15 and still see the occasional stutter/frame drop but these aren't related to the CHD.

Save your money.
cray- Wrote:I believe the 15 supports Mpeg4/XviD/DivX decoding which would help if you had high-res files in this format that the CPU couldn't handle. The reality is that most people use x264 for their HD stuff so the 12 is fine.

I have the 15 and still see the occasional stutter/frame drop but these aren't related to the CHD.

Save your money.

Right on the money. About 25% of my files are in this file, which still is significant for me, but I'd agree for most it's probably not.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BMC70015 vs BMC700120